L 5450 hydraulic leak

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Hi, newbie on the loose. I joined the site several years ago but 'don't think I have ever posted. I would try searching repairs but I'm not quite sure how to do that either because I have no idea what is leaking; steering maybe? I have a '93 in reasonably good condition. About 840 hrs. Last weekend I decided I need help because in 3hrs bush hogging I blew a gallon of fluid out on the ground! Yes I actually checked to see what the leak rate is. The fluid is coming out all over the top of my "transmission case?" and my left boot where the engine cowl ends. I can't actually see what is leaking because it is between the engine firewall panel and the cowl under the steering wheel. I did not want to just start taking bolts out to see if I could expose where the leak is. How do I access that space. I am sure there are good pics, diagrams and descriptions so if someone would point me in the right direction then I will try to follow along. Thank you in advance for giving this post a read and offering to help.
Jim@MilkyWay
PS
I have the little operators manual but might like to buy a shop manual, used or new if the price is right. Thanks

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Thanks NIWolfMan; you da man. I see a lot of posts by you so you probably know your way around the site. Do you know where there is a topic on-site that would show how to access the area I need to expose? Thanks again for the look.
Jim@MilkyWay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To see the complete breakdown of the parts go here:
https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
Click on view Illustrated parts, then agree to legal with check mark then click open, then input model L5450 then pick L5450DT.

I think the easiest is pull the instrument cluster to see the steering controller.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Hi Jim, Always nice to greet a newbie with an L5450. I'm the old duffer around here who is stuck on these L3 models - some of the best Kubota products out there. I've had a L4150 and two L5450's. That said, I've never had the slightest issue with steering hydraulics leaks. In fact I've never even taken off the dash panel on a L5450.

But I do have WSM 97897-11065 which has 3 pages on separating the parts of interest. I've attached .pdf copies below. My scanner is nothing extra and neither are the original manual pages - and file size for attachments here is limited, but they should point to where to look. Factory WSMs seem to only rarely live up to what we'd like to see.

From my L4150 experience, if your L5450 has lived outdoors the dash area screws may be difficult. Be sure to use a #3 phillips so preserve the heads. I believe I was able to lift the instrument panel on my L4150 enough to see in there without taking off the steering wheel. Likely a hose to the steering controller or cylinder is leaking. Best luck, Dick B

Attachments

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
"Hi Jim, Always nice to greet a newbie..."
Thanks for the welcome.

From my L4150 experience, if your L5450 has lived outdoors the dash area screws may be difficult." Best luck, Dick B
Almost always in closed-up garage. Thank you for the response and I hope it is something simple as well. Funny little side note; your last pdf (6) just happens to show a component that I could not find from looking at pics in a wsm emanual that I purchased yesterday. I won't comment on my impression of the emanual; LOL. While bush hogging last weekend I got a dashboard alert that my hydro filter was dirty/restrictive; (the far left light). When I looked at my filter however, I saw that it has about 21 hrs on it. I always write date and hrs on them at installation. Your pdf shows a part, no idea what it is, with a distinctive cross-hatch end plate just behind the grill, attached to a coupling shaft. Although it strikes me as odd that it would be located there, I think that will prove to be the location of the two switches that make up the sending unit for the hydro light, per the emanual. I am confident that my filter is not the issue because the light displays anywhere from a 'nervous twitch' to a bold, bright glow when I turn the ignition on but before starting engine.
I have a feeling I have landed on the right forum for me and my machine. Thanks again in advance for you and all others who dedicate their time, knowledge, and assistance to the newbies of the world.
Jim@MilkyWay

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
I hope my nice, detailed reply to Dick B did not fall into the twilight zone. I did not copy and save it anywhere after composing and previewing it, but before selecting post response, all about ten minutes ago.
Jim@MilkyWay

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hope my nice, detailed reply to Dick B did not fall into the twilight zone. I did not copy and save it anywhere after composing and previewing it, but before selecting post response, all about ten minutes ago.
Jim@MilkyWay
It did but I unstuck it. :D
It happens when your under 5 posts.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Be sure to use a #3 phillips so preserve the heads.
I hate to be that guy.... but... Japanese machine = JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw heads. There is a huge difference. The Snap On and Mac Tools guys don't even know what this means. When you strip out the cross with a brand new Phillips, you can usually get it out with a JIS without any extra effort. I've been using them for years on Honda motorcycles and you're able to get screws out without taking the oxide or painted finish off. And, a JIS screwdriver locks into a Phillips better than a Phillips screwdriver does.

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Thanks PAU7220. I love my gentle impact drivers to loosen stuck nuts/bolts/screws, provided of coarse the correct size bit is used in conjunction with the impact. And to you rbergeron, I had a chance today to look at the unit I mentioned as pictured in your pdf #6 that you sent me and sure enough, there is a sending unit on it which I am sure is the hydro filter sensor which seems to be on it's way out; probably because of hydro fluid leaking everywhere. Who knows what else I have doomed because of the severe leak.
Jim@MilkyWay

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I was pointing out that a common phillips #2 might chew the heads - sorry - I didn't mean to presume anything about your knowledge of tools - I must have been thrown off by your apparent hesitation to start the job. And nothing on that machine dies from oil immersion. The pressure switch logic on that tractor is subtle - which I expect you'd rather discover by looking at it.

The item in the picture is the front-mounted hydraulic pump. It has two switches.

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Thanks Dick B for the response. No apology needed as I thought nothing derogatory whatsoever about your comment for taking care while removing screws. My skin is a bit thicker than that. I am not put out too easily by _anyone_ trying to help me. If I don't like something someone has to say, or if anyone feels the need to flame me, I simply let it roll off like water off a duck without getting into a pissing contest. Don't hesitate to suggest anything you think appropriate to a topic. The only reason I felt I should mentioned that my tractor is garaged is, because, err, umm, because, well, I actually don't have a good answer to that LOL.
The old brain ain't what it use to be, but I am reluctant to yank the instrument cluster because of two things. 1st, because when I had it off a while back to see what I could see, I think I still did not see where I could access the leak, because of another divider(?). I don't remember; too many brewskies may have something to do with that. And 3rd, because my electric-tack needle is snapped off because there is apparently some kind of "reset" required when applying power for the 1st time after disconnecting/reconnecting the cluster.
Jim@MilkyWay

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
No worries. BTW the tachometer is mechanical. It's driven by a flex cable from the engine and unscrews from the back of the panel. Part no. 35300-99343

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Thanks man, I did not get a chance to mess with it yesterday but I will try to wiggle out of honey-do projects tonight and put a little time into tractor diagnosis. I need to make and keep up with notes on all work performed as my memory is not reliable because of me being a geriatric, or maybe I have mad cow or butt wipers disease! LOL
Jim@MilkyWay

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Well dudes and dudettes I've got some good news and I've got some not so good news. Dick B gave sound advice when he suggested I pull the instrument panel to see if I could find where I am loosing fluid. I could not find my steering wheel puller so I had to slightly lift and hold it, the panel that is with a bungy so I could shine a flashlight in and look around as much as possible. I can not actually see what the fluid is running out of, but I was able to see it dripping onto the top of the transmission from the engine side, that is to say the front side, and inside of the steering base. Well ***8220;steering base***8221; is what Dick's pdf #6 and my own wiz bang emanual calls it. I hope that I will be able to hold a mirror on a stick exactly, correctly, positioned and shine a penlight onto the mirror and actually see fluid running out somewhere. I will wait till it is dark in the garage so the light will shine better, or at least I can see better what/where the light is reflecting onto. If my wiz bang emanual shows a pic of the steering unit I could not find it. The only pic I could find of the steering base is on page S.S-6 in a section called ***8220;separation***8221;. Does someone have a used, real manual for sale; can anyone post a good pic of the steering unit, especially the bottom side of it so I can at least see what I am looking at or for?
Now for the good news. I had mentioned (somewhere) that my hydro-filter clog alert dash-light was troubling me because I thought my filter with about 21 hrs needed replacing. As soon as I loosened the instrument panel then started the engine to try and spot the drip, I noticed that moving the loosened panel had a direct, immediate effect on the sensor light. So I pushed and wiggled all the wiring plugs and now the light is off except when I hold the key/switch hard left to the heater position before starting.
Thanks in advance for giving this post another look and offering advice on how to proceed. I just can't justify operating the tractor with the rate of hydro loss I am experiencing.
Jim@MilkyWay

ps
I did just go and look at the ewsm and found the M.7 steering section, but the pic is no help.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
........ can anyone post a good pic of the steering unit, especially the bottom side of it so I can at least see what I am looking at or for? ...........
Parts pages show lines & connection points.

To get at them it may be necessary to take off the wheel, panel board and panel hood. (pages S.S-4 and S.S-5)

Attachments

Last edited:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
WOW! Thanks Mr. Dude. I did not get to look at anything today. I should not admit this but before I even changed out of my work skivvies I was bush hogged for several hours after work with my 1mtr riding mower. It is a twenty+ year old orange T1560/40 that I can not kill. Believe me, I have tried! I also have a off-brand ztr sitting in the repair bay with 50 hrs on it with the deck drive-belt shredded already. I gots to get it going again sooner rather than later because it _is_ fast. Funny, but I did the first oil and filter change on it, took it out to mow for the 1st time after the service and it gave it up out in the north 40. Thank goodness the shredded deck-drive belt did not take out the wheel drive belt or I would have had to tow it out of the pasture. I will see about disassembly of the steering unit in the next few days if I can catch a break from emergency stops.
Jim@MilkyWay

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
OK dudes and other
I found my wheel puller and got the steering wheel off. JESUS, they don't want those things falling off in a ditch somewhere do they?! Now, question: if my panel board is in place I can't get in there to see what's up. Can I plug the panel board electrics in, start the tractor and with tractor running, pull the plugs back off, so I can get panel out of the way for observation? Thanks Dick because I know you will post the answer even before I ask the question! LOL
Jim@MilkyWay