New G5200 owner and member here

Richief

Equipment
G5200 HST
Jul 19, 2018
E. KY
Hi all. If not right spot please move. I seen a g5200 for sale near me, and not knowing anything about them my research brought me here. I learned enough by reading here to take a chance on it. Needs lots of little stuff fixed but runs good, needs a u-joint and deck is ok besides needing input shaft bearing, gears are ok, spindles tight. Battery is poled wrong, might lengthen the ground wire. Steering sloppy, the one piece, drag link is worn, prob get new king pin bearings too. Lots of fasteners and pins been jury rigged. I have a question and will ask in maintenance. Glad I found you guys, and thanks for having me.
Richie F. in KY.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Richie. Glad that you found us and joined.

A lot of great and knowledgeable people on here.

We all love pictures. Post many as you fix her up, please.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Welcome :)

I too have a G5200. The tractor itself is bulletproof and WAYYY overkill for a garden-tractor. (The rear axle is larger diameter than many modern cars)

The 'weak point' is decidedly the mower-deck. These seem to made from poorly-recycled steel which rusts horribly. I spent an entire summer welding patches over all the holes in my deck.

If your deck is in good shape... PRESERVE IT by removing and scraping any debris from underneath and painting with good oil-based enamel.

I am curious.... what U-joint does your tractor need? The only U-joint I can think of is in the PTO to the mower-deck.... it has a grease-nipple. Also, it can be damaged if the mover is run in the wrong position. (owners-manual says so)

The kingpin does NOT have bearings.... perhaps you are thinking of the bearings for the PTO which runs thru the kingpin.

Last edited:

Richief

Equipment
G5200 HST
Jul 19, 2018
E. KY
Thanks for the welcome guys! Yeah just what i needed is an overkill lawn mower, prob need a full size tractor for the 8 acres of hillsides and hollers i cut here in Eastern Kentucky mountains, allready burned up two hydros on jd lx176’s, so hopefully this one hangs in there.
Yes the ujoint going to gearbox on mower deck went bad and bearing on input shaft took a hit from that. What i am calling kingpin bushings are for the front wheels/steering. The vertical shafts from wheel spindles that ride in frame tubes, where front wheel assy pivots left and right. Not sure if right terminology but similiar to big truck kingpin setup. Seen two replaceable bearings each side in parts book, should tighten up some steering play, i doubt they were changed in twenty years, steering rack seems tight for as old as it is, tie rod ends good, wheel bearings good, i think the drag link and wheel pivot bushings will make a big difference in the slop i have now. We have powder coat setup at work but i dont have the ambition to tear the deck down, brush on some enamel is a good idea. I think i will make a set of horses same height as my tailgate, and roll out the mower on two planks at our local diy carwash and spray the machine and deck clean next week. I work fri-sun for 40 hrs and off the rest of week. Plan on ordering some parts Monday. Where is best online place to get your parts? Also anyone have a pdf srvc mnl? Sure would be nice to have. Thanks again

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It sounds as if you have a 'plan'.

My G5200 has sloppy steering and it is ALL in the gears (underneath the tractor. I know Kubota redesigned/superseded the steering-rack but it is expensive to replace.)

I printed out 2 PDF 'owners manuals'
1) For the tractor
2) For the mower-deck

Although these are not "service manuals"... they have some good information (I find the deck manual to be especially detailed)

From personal experience, I found it is best to plan on using the mower for a couple hours AFTER washing with water. This helps to drive water out of the nooks-n-crannies. Then grease everything AFTER while things are warm.

My mistake was hosing off AFTER use.... after a couple years some idler-bearings failed due to internal rust. Now, I only use COMPRESSED AIR to clean things off after use to eliminate water-intrusion.

For parts, I found my local Kubota dealership to cost within a couple bucks of online parts AND they have great advice. Hence, I chose to give them my business.

Richief

Equipment
G5200 HST
Jul 19, 2018
E. KY
I am an hour away from any kind of civilization, except a savalot n dairyqueen. Lol. UPS is my friend.
Looks like there is a couple bushings you can replace for the rack n gear setup. Might tighten it up some, unless rack is all chewed up.

Last edited: