Welding Table Questions

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I'm relatively new to welding after taken some welding classes at my local community college. I have since bought a small MIG welder and a small portable welding table that I have used on various project. I would now like to build a larger welding table for bigger projects as well as use it for a work table.

I have found some 3/8 inch x 4' x 8' metal sheets locally and the guy wants $150 per sheet for them. From what I can find, that seems like a good price. I was thinking of buying two of them and welding them together to make a 3/4 inch thick table.

So before I pursue that, I have a few questions. Do you agree that is a good price for the metal sheets? Would there be any concerns with welding the two plates together? Would you leave them as 4' x 8' or cut them down to a smaller size?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. As always, thank you for your time.

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
3/8 is more than thick enough for a table top. Also do you plan on this table being against a wall, if so I wouldn't want any more than 3 ft deep by 8 ft wide. Hard to reach across 4 ft.

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
I'm relatively new to welding after taken some welding classes at my local community college. I have since bought a small MIG welder and a small portable welding table that I have used on various project. I would now like to build a larger welding table for bigger projects as well as use it for a work table.

I have found some 3/8 inch x 4' x 8' metal sheets locally and the guy wants $150 per sheet for them. From what I can find, that seems like a good price. I was thinking of buying two of them and welding them together to make a 3/4 inch thick table.

So before I pursue that, I have a few questions. Do you agree that is a good price for the metal sheets? Would there be any concerns with welding the two plates together? Would you leave them as 4' x 8' or cut them down to a smaller size?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. As always, thank you for your time.

sounds really heavy. It probably won't bend, but it may not move either.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
3/8 is more than thick enough for a table top
I agree, no need to double up. My FIL gave me two welding tables 3'x8' with 1/4" diamond plate tops. They are too heavy to move around without strong help, and 1/4" top is more than adequate for any welding/pounding/cutting/etc that I'm likely to do.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Price is good if they are fairly clean plates. 3/8 plate is a decent thickness for a welding table so you do not need to double them up. I would put the money from the second plate into some good structural channel to build a solid base for the plate to sit on. The bigger the channel the better. The plate will more than likely have a bow in it and you will rely on the channel to flatten it out. I can take some pictures if you want some ideas for your bench.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Gentlemen, thank you for the comments.

Yes, please post some photos for some ideas. They will be greatly appreciated.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Go on Welding Web forum...search for welding tables...incredible amount of good info on that site...

Here is mine...made with 1/2 slats...
4E8352C8-007E-49BA-908D-61682EF54510.jpg

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
3/8 is plenty strong enough i attached lockable casters to the legs on my homemade unit makes it usable in many places also put hangers on it for welding gun simple and safe and you know where the gun is works for mee

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When you build a table, build it to your height. If you're 6'-6" don't build the table so short you're bent over all the time!! And if you're 5'-6" don't build it so high your elbows are at your shoulders all the time!

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
As mentioned above, steel wheel (a must due to weight) casters in the design are a good add, but they need to be lockable so the table won't try to move around especially when dragging heavy material up on the table.

On my table (using good, but scrap yard steel wheel casters), the two on the table backside are non swivel and the front two are lockable to not rotate or swivel with my add on brake system.

My table had to be rather small to fit in the space between two doors I can open in the basement, so lots of stuff packed in a tight area. Built entirely out of junkyard scrap.. top is diamond plate, which would be better if overlaid with 1/4" plain steel plate.

Note: Table (other than work surface) must be painted Kubota orange in order to be a legit welding table :<)

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Found a pic of the tables that my FIL gave me. Excuse the mess, this pic was taken at his house. Note the vertical, 1/4" wall angle welded to the front center- handy as heck as an anchor point for bending/straightening rod, tubing, etc.

Attachments

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Good info so far. I'd suggest using straight wheels on one end and swivels on the other. Then add floor jacks on the swivel end and the table won't go anywhere when you need to get brutal with something. Makes the table feel like it's bolted to the center of the earth. The straight wheels won't allow their end of the table to roll sideways and the jacks on the other end keep the table from going either way.

Here's one I made earlier this year. It's 3'x4' and has been very handy. I do my welding outdoors to get away from combustibles. I was fed up with the makeshift plywood on sawhorses or grovelling about on hands and knees in the driveway. The drawer is an unused electrical panel with set of slides from Lowes that allows full extension.

Here are a few pics. I doubt I'll ever paint it. The one pic is a closeup of the scraper blade I was working on. Not very much of a connection where the blade attaches to the post. I can't even guess how it stayed together for the last 15 years when looking at the factory "welds".

Attachments

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Gentlemen, I'm impressed! You have made some great tables. Thanks for sharing the photos. Please keep posting them. How tall would you recommend? I'm 6'3", so I was thinking around 40".

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'm 6-3 and the table is 37" high. Seems like much of the welding I do isn't right there flat on the table. Good example is that scraper blade in the pics. The welding was mostly around 12" higher than the top of the table. I had an old 5' RFM on it and was able to reach in from the sides to get to any part of it without going for a stool to stand on.

The top is 3/8" thick welded to an angle frame.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have been welding since 1988. I worked for 14 years in a large manufacturing shop and the 18 welders there all had 1" thick 4' x 8' table tops. When you need to clamp something down or peen something flat with a hammer the table never moved. I've owned my own welding/sheetmetal business since full time since 2002 and have used a 1/4" thick 4' x 8' welding table since. But have wished many times over the years I had bought the 1" thick table top. But at the time money was tight. A 1/4" x 4' x 8' piece of plate steel was $90. bucks then.

And in the last six months since our president has been flapping his gums about tariff's my carbon steel and stainless prices have increased 50%. I don't want to talk politics. But how he is helping the businesses of this country is beyond me. I voted for him and regret it every time I order steel.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Apologies for posting these pictures so late, but these show some welding tables and how they are put together. Very simple design that requires very little grinding (I hate grinding) and is very sturdy. The benches have 14 ga walls on the back to control grinding sparks plus it makes it easier to clean. Hope I'm not to late with this to help you out.

Attachments

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Thanks Yooper! I bought one plate but have not done anything yet. I really like your tables. What height are they?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
They are 36" high. There really is no magical height for a welding bench unless you are welding the same thing all the time. I find myself using my manual forklift a lot for getting the height just right for some things. No such thing as being too comfortable when welding.

Attachments

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I don't want to talk politics. But how he is helping the businesses of this country is beyond me. I voted for him and regret it every time I order steel.
So this is you NOT talking politics?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Heres a table I built several years ago... I don't recall measurements... But its heavy and stout...