Engine Rebuild Kit Advice

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
I'm about to rebuild the engine on a BX1800. I got a great deal on it because it needs some attention, and I want to learn how to do this.

At any rate, there is a pretty big price difference between a rebuild kit from Kumar Bros and the parts to do a rebuild from Messick's. Messick's sent me a price list as they do not sell a rebuild "kit." Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on where I should purchase this? I would really appreciate it.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Other than gaskets, bearings, rings how do you know what you need without tearing into it? Personally I'd do the head & valve train at the same time.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
I think that's great advice, and I appreciate it. As you suggested, I don't know exactly what I will need yet, but I am interested in any experiences purchasing parts and kits. Is there a reason that one would be a good deal less expensive than the other - such as parts quality, etc.?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What is wrong with the engine?

Kumar Bros parts are by far cheaper priced ... and they are by far cheaper quality.

I've had to buy some parts from them because kubota has quit making some of the older engine parts, but as far as gaskets and seal and any part you can get from kubota directly do that.

I've had more New Kumar parts fail than I've had bad Original kubota parts! :eek:

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Thank you! That's exactly the advice that I was looking for. The BX1800 starts after lots and lots of effort, and I've got very low compression in cylinder 2. I should get it delivered in the next couple of weeks when we are back in town. Then, I can really get started looking into it.

I'm completely new at this, but wanted to take it on as a project and to learn something new. I am also planning on starting a thread as I work through it. It will likely contain lots of mistakes that people can learn from!

GDT's Kubota

Equipment
B1550HST, MMM, Frt Blade
Dec 12, 2012
York, PA, USA
My experience agrees with Wolfman. After 2 attempts and 5 rear main seals, I purchased correct one from Messicks. Also had to have 2 bearings replaced. Bite the bullet and get Kubota parts. You wont flinch everytime you start it like I do.