Adding trailer lights to MX5200

Monka

Equipment
MX5200 Tractor
Jul 16, 2018
Buffalo, MO USA
We have a 2018 MX5200 and want to pull a trailer for a hayride in October. We were thinking we could put a pigtail out of each tail light and run a Y trailer light cable. Kubota dealer said there is no such thing. Has anybody tried this?

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Not sure exactly what you describing but I believe I have seem similar setups used on vehicles before. You probably need to be looking at RV or auto places for supplies.
Run the wire for the tractor side of the plug to each light and then just plug into the trailor lights. Probably can splice into or plug into the tractor lights on the the back side of the tractor lights where they hook up.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
We have a 2018 MX5200 and want to pull a trailer for a hayride in October. We were thinking we could put a pigtail out of each tail light and run a Y trailer light cable. Kubota dealer said there is no such thing. Has anybody tried this?
Welcome to the OTT forum Monka.

I did something similar on mine. I made my own "Y's" with the same "T" connectors that Kubota uses.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Why make something simple, complicated.

There are a number of LED battery powered light manufacturers that make a magnetic fixture, avail in both red and amber. Very long lasting, w/ alkaline batteries.

A hayride wagon would be a non- highway application.

We have many Mennonite buggies in our region, this type of illumination is used almost exclusively, at nite, for ON-highway scenarios, w/ law enforcement approval. No wires to short, no expensive plugs, connectors, all self contained.

Magnetic base is very secure. Only issue is that it isn't complicated! Brightness almost blinding!!!!.

As an aside, stock MX wiring harness has a spare dedicated lead on both R and L sides @ rear. I have a rearward worklite,. Connected on both sides. One is a kubota fixture w/ integral switch. The Other is LED and is On when ignition is on. The leads are not switched, always hot when key is on.

Attachments

Last edited:

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
Even simpler, just place a spare battery on the trailer under the hay with a simple 2 wires running to the trailer plug. Your not needing brake lights or turn signals. Any small 12 volt power source will provide multiple hours of illumination, especially with LED trailer lights.