M135X overheating

sask

Dec 27, 2017
saskatchewan
Hi guys, having some overheating issues with 135 when baling. It typically runs hotter than 120 and 125 models but after running at 2000 rpm on baler for only 2 bales it runs up to red zone. Cleaned all rads, coolant good, fan is running, air cleaner etc good. Any suggestions on what's next? Thanks.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don't know how many hrs on the tractor or age but unless you're running ELC coolant it needs to be changed every two yrs. It will loose it's ability to dissipate heat.

Radiator cap could be bad and not holding enough pressure.

Thermostat could be stuck. I had this happen this year on one of mine.

sask

Dec 27, 2017
saskatchewan
Thanks fellas. I'll try your suggestions. Tractor has 7500 hours on it so rad cap and thermostat could be past it's lifespan.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Hi guys, having some overheating issues with 135 when baling. It typically runs hotter than 120 and 125 models but after running at 2000 rpm on baler for only 2 bales it runs up to red zone. Cleaned all rads, coolant good, fan is running, air cleaner etc good. Any suggestions on what's next? Thanks.

Lots of suspects: low coolant level, stuck thermostat, loose fan belt, dirty radiator-air side, scale build up on core-coolant side, eroded impeller on water pump, bad rad cap, lower hose collapsing at high rpm operation, dirty airfilter,.....

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Just went through this ordeal with one at work. 135, first one I've had to deal with.

Screen was clean. Customer said he cleans the radiator religiously. First inspection of the tractor and he's right. He does. It was clean. Externally. Down deep between the fins looked ok too. Out of a suspicion, I ran a garden hose in behind the radiator, kind of between teh fan blades, forcing water through from the back side. Guess what? Got about 3 lbs of dirt out of it. BTW it "looked" great-visually. Gave it a good cleaning and returned it....says it works fine now.

You've got a a/c condenser, an oil cooler, intercooler and then the radiator. If any one of them is getting restricted with dirt, it'll restrict air to the radiator-and what air the radiator does get will be warmer than it needs to be (because the core in front of it will be hotter than it needs to be). So everything has to be nice & clean on them. This has been a challenge since liquid cooling was first used on tractors...way back in the 1700's....wait...or was it 1800's? :)

Start there...clean from the backside, with a water hose only. Do not use a power washer as it'll damage the fins.

When's the last time the coolant was changed? It should be changed every so often per owner & service manuals. Neglecting to do it will result in bad things. Coolant, brake fluid, and differentials are the 3 most neglected parts of most vehicles...and a cause for many, MANY failures.