L275 - new fan belt doesn't fit - too small

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I ordered p/n 15411-97020, which is a replacement belt running the alternator and the radiator fan. I tried to install it last night, but it wouldn't fit, being too small. I've contacted Messick's and they verified that it was the correct belt.

The alternator was fully adjusted in to allow for the shortest belt, but it still would not fit over the alternator pulley. It was fully seated in both the driveshaft and fan pulleys. I saw no other adjustments.

Any recommendations?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say that someone has changed something like the alternator.
Take the new one or better yet the old one, to and Auto parts store and get one, that will fit. ;)

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
I would say that someone has changed something like the alternator.
Take the new one or better yet the old one, to and Auto parts store and get one, that will fit. ;)
Like he said. Also do you have the old one? If not, take a guess at the additional length you need to make it work, buy 2 or 3 belts within 1/2in or so of the size you think is correct and then return what you don't need. Picking up several belts hurts the wallet initially, but it might save you an extra trip to the parts store. I trust you can tell if you were given the correct width as that is as important as the length.

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Compare the new belt to your old belt. If the new one is a hair shorter than your old one, it is probably correct. Installing a new Kubota fan belt is like trying to stretch a gnat's ass over a rain barrel.

Last edited:

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
The alternator on the tractor is what appears to be 15411-64011. The only number I'm guessing at is the last one, but it looks to be a "1". The parts manual I have shows the p/n to be 15411-64010. When I have the new belt around the fan and crank pulleys, and the alternator adjusted for the shortest belt length, I have this:

[/IMG]

Does this count as a gnat's ass next to a rain barrel? LOL! I don't know why it would need to be so tight. There's as much room for adjustment with the alternator as I've seen on any one before. That's too much stretch needed. Even if I managed to get it on there, I'd be concerned about my bearings.

FWIW, here's the alternator. The alternator pulley is around 2.925" OD.

I'm a bit stumped, and it looks like I may need to head to the auto parts store to get the next best thing.