Zd21 mower shut off and now no start no crank

EverythingOrange

Jul 15, 2018
Virginia
While mowing today the mower just shut off and would not restart, (no crank) when i turn the key i get no clicks or anything, the heater light will come on when turning the key to that position but dont hear anything. If a safety switch was bad i should still get solenoid sounds when turning the key shouldnt I? Battery is good, cables are clean and ground cable has a good/clean connection. Checked the 5 fuses in the fuse block they are good and so is the 40amp fuse.:confused:

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Welcome to the forum,Everything orange! I like your handle. I like everything orange as well. I bought half a dozen tooth brushes to help with tight clean-up spaces yesterday. Guess what color the handles are. I'm convinced they will do a better job.
Were there any circumstances when it shut down that might help shed a little light on what failed?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Last edited:

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I had a ZD21 that went dead on me and I found a main power wire loose in the wiring harness plug on the back of the ignition switch. It was a heavy gauge wire that had pulled back in the plug so it’s connector terminal wasn’t making contact. It’s been a few years ago, I have a ZD326 now. I would pull that connector apart and check the terminals and spray with contact cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EverythingOrange

Jul 15, 2018
Virginia
Thanks for the the replies everyone! I was just mowing along not on a bumpy area or anything, it had stalled on me twice a week agao but then fired right back up i thought that maybe i had gotten a big pile of grass stuck under it but i didnt think so so im wondering if something was starting to fail. Is there an easy way to access the underside of the ignition switch? Also if a safety switch was bad wouldnt i still hear things clicking when turning the key? Ive gotten on it before but forgot to set the parking brake and i swear i could still hear clicking at least, can i just jump the safety switches with wire to tell which one is bad if that is the case?

EverythingOrange

Jul 15, 2018
Virginia
Alright so i finally had time to mess with it today, i got on and moved the steering handles in and out a few times and then it fired up! So im thinking ive got a bad safety switch in one of them or is it possible they are just out of adjustment? The left one does feel a lot more sloppy than the right, are they hard to adjust?