Kubota g5200 starting issue

Grimlockprime

Jan 10, 2017
Michigan
I have a Kubota g5200 and am having some starting issues. When I turn the key left or right it activates the glow plug and you can hear the ticking sound , it will not turn over . I replaced the ignition switch and it still does the same thing. I can get the the starter to turn over by jumping it . Any help is greatly Apreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a Kubota g5200 and am having some starting issues. When I turn the key left or right it activates the glow plug and you can hear the ticking sound , it will not turn over . I replaced the ignition switch and it still does the same thing. I can get the the starter to turn over by jumping it . Any help is greatly Apreciated.
SO, we know it is not the switch .....'cause there have been two used and I would imagine one of them is good.

NOT spinning is a sign of weak battery, bad solenoid or bad wiring.

Tell us what the standing voltage is on the battery - non running, good volt meter. It should be 12.6 ish. AND even then - you could still have a battery problem - take the battery out and have it tested at local auto parts place.

Next - clean all the grounds - check and recheck the battery connections. A bad ground and bad battery are 90% the problems.

Jumping it says the starter is working.

SO report back your findings!:)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
How are you getting the starter to turn over? What is your jumping process?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Does the engine start when you jump the starter? If so, install a simple start switch. G series Kubotas are notorious for electrical issues, especially starting related. I installed a switch on one and it worked perfectly. Key switch still operates glow plugs and turns machine off, new switch just spins starter. 20 minute job. Good luck.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds to me like a safety switch, like the switch on the clutch is bad. ;)

Grimlockprime

Jan 10, 2017
Michigan
I currently don't have access to the tractor , when jump the starter I just take a screw driver and touch the points on the starter. It will start right up when I do that . Battery is brand new. I think I may just go with the start switch, sounds a quick easy fix , I live in northern Michigan and we are getting plenty of snow , gotta have this tractor fixed :)..... thanks for everyone's help .

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Too bad you payed to replace the ignition switch before asking here :-(

The G-series of tractors have TWO safety-switches which are susceptible to causing the starter to not spin.

The following two MUST be met for starter to spin:
1) Disengaged mower deck PTO
-- left and below the battery
--switch can be seen if you remove screw and cover where PTO lever sticks out.
2) HST in neutral
-- on right framerail infront of rear tire.

(Just like any vehicle, Right/Left defined while sitting in seat)

While holding starter-switch to 'start' position... try wiggling these two controls... you may get the starter to spin momentarily.

Once you know WHICH of these two safety-switches is the culprit.... you can temporally bypass it by pulling the wires from the switch and shorting the wires together. (until you can procure replacement safety-switch)

Last edited:

Everyman

Jan 12, 2017
Hollis,NH USA
I owned a G4200 for 14 years. Had a similar problem that was very vexing. It turns out there are two ground straps that ground the engine to the frame. I had to replace both of them. I did I not want to believe it but they eventually develop corrosion at the connectors and do not pass electricity. Good Luck!

Richief

Equipment
G5200 HST
Jul 19, 2018
E. KY
I know its and old thread, but wanted to add my two cents on starting circuit, for future researchers.
Since you can jumper the starter and it works, now check the light gauge wire going to the celonoid for 12v signal from ignition switch. If you have 12v when ign in start position, then celonoid is suspect. A cheapo fix is connect a heavy duty horn relay to activate starter.
If no 12v then check the safety switches and ignition switch, whichever order you feel lucky. Lol.