L245DT Charge light on when tractor is off

Gerald

Oct 11, 2014
Lake Elizabeth, CA, USA
Hi folks.

I recently purchased an L245DT. I used it for about an hour and when I switched it off I noticed that the Charge light on the dashboard remains on. Any thoughts as to what could cause that? The battery was weak when I bought it and when I started it after a couple of weeks of non-use I had to jump it with my truck. Could that have caused some damage?

Thanks for any advice!

Gerald

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
for now when you shut it down pull one of the battery cables off. Take battery to a place you trust to be checked. It could be knackered from being discharged often.

My guess is you have a key switch problem and the switch is not fully cutting off the juice from the Battery. Others will chime in with test to verify.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I'd start with the key switch also.

The charge lamp is connected to the key switch through a main fuse, and on the ground side to the alternator.

You can check voltage either or both at the main fuse or the key switch on the "AC" terminal.

Key switch "OFF", no voltage. Any other position should have 12VDC.

If that is working properly, then you may have a short to ground on the charge lamp neg side. Unplug the alternator, see if lamp goes out.

If not, then possibly a shorted pass transistor in the alternator. The pin on the alternator is "L" for the lamp.

Happy hunting.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My first choice would be bad alternator or voltage regulator. ;)
Could also be the key switch, do the head and tail light go out when you turn the key off if they do then it would be back to the alternator or voltage regulator.?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would also check the wiring harness between the altenator and key switch. Do to the age, there could have been a melt down in the wiring where it's not obvious. Especially since the harness runs along the engine block. I would physically move the wiring and check it.

Disconnecting the wiring from the altenator will rule out whether it's a short in the wiring or the altenator itself.

And third, this needs to be asked for "dohhgh" factor.

Are you sure the key is in the off position? Mine has a second switch for glow plug and start. Key all the way counter clockwise is off. Key switch could have been turned a little at some point so key straight up and down may be first run position

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Unless your tractor has been modified...

The key switch is really only applying electrical power to start the tractor and then to control the lights..

The glow plugs and starter is a separate knob. Once the tractor is started you can turn the key off and the tractor will continue to run. But the dash warning lights would NOT work.

I turn the key off and then use the kill lever to shut the fuel down and stop the engine.

If you leave the key on then the warning lights would stay on and drain the battery down.