Changing transmission filter.

hdhedges

Equipment
B2650 HST fel land pride BOX BLADE
Sep 1, 2014
Fort Davis, Texas
I'm ready to change only the transmission filter on a B-2650. If I plug the transmission breather tube, how much hydraulic fluid should I expect to loose in the process?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Plugging the breather tube won't stop the fluid from comming out, might slow it down some. If it's a screw on filter, do it fast, might loose a quart.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Unless yours has a check valve--I bet it doesn't--be prepared with more than one clean bucket to catch the oil you'll otherwise lose in a big sloppy mess.

Be certain the bucket will fit where it needs to sit in order to catch the fluid that will come pouring out.

Another trick outlined on this forum is to use a shop vac connected to the oil fill port. Turn on the vac, change filter, may not lose but a few drops.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

hdhedges

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
Fort Davis, Texas
Though I could get by with just a transmission filter change. Wrong. The transmission filter, the one facing driver left came off without incident however the HST filter facing forward on drivers right opened up the system and it gushed out. I managed to attach the new filter but had lost at least three quarts into my collection pan. After only 45 hours on the new engine the hydraulic oil was a dirty brown color and I noticed after taking the pan in full sunlight many very small metal flakes suspended in the oil. Even though the owners manual does not insist on a 50 hour change of hydraulic fluids, only the filters on a B 2650 I decided to change the 4 gallons.
I was able to put a pan under the new HST filter and unscrew it slowly to allow almost a complete drain of the system. Leaving the filter partially in place forced the oil to drain straight down into the pan with no splatter or mess. The balance of oil, less than a quart came out through the two bottom drain plugs and was very manageable.
Bottom line here is change engine, transmission, HST oils and filters regardless of what the maintenance schedule shows at 50 hours. It won't hurt a thing and it's not that difficult to do yourself.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Won't hurt a thing other than your wallet! LOL! :D

I like your first approach, go for the filter change and then inspect the oil for the condition. If it's good with no suspended particles (I'd pull from a drain plug first, the filter side may add particles as it runs out of the unfiltered side of the filter) then you can probably get away without a $300 oil change. If the oil is discolored, go ahead and change.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Though I could get by with just a transmission filter change. Wrong. The transmission filter, the one facing driver left came off without incident however the HST filter facing forward on drivers right opened up the system and it gushed out. I managed to attach the new filter but had lost at least three quarts into my collection pan. After only 45 hours on the new engine the hydraulic oil was a dirty brown color and I noticed after taking the pan in full sunlight many very small metal flakes suspended in the oil. Even though the owners manual does not insist on a 50 hour change of hydraulic fluids, only the filters on a B 2650 I decided to change the 4 gallons.
I was able to put a pan under the new HST filter and unscrew it slowly to allow almost a complete drain of the system. Leaving the filter partially in place forced the oil to drain straight down into the pan with no splatter or mess. The balance of oil, less than a quart came out through the two bottom drain plugs and was very manageable.
Bottom line here is change engine, transmission, HST oils and filters regardless of what the maintenance schedule shows at 50 hours. It won't hurt a thing and it's not that difficult to do yourself.
Exactly!! I never could understand why someone would spend all that money on a new tractor and change only the filters and not the oil.
How did you buy the tractor if you cry over a pail of oil?? That's why I don't buy used anything, LOL.

hdhedges

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
Fort Davis, Texas
Since I use this tractor in 4 wheel drive about 90% of the time I decided to look at the front axel oil. Surprised it was so dark, so I changed it too. Used the FEL to lift front axel up to where my oil pan would slide under the wheel and drain. Worked great.

Rotella T Engine oil, $18.00. Filters, NAPA gold, $45.00. Hydraulic oil, NAPA $58.00. The whole do it your self project around $125.00.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Good for you hdhedges.

Now I have a job for you. Please monitor OTT for anyone else that believes a filter change is enough at 50 hours. Or for that matter, anytime a filter is changed.

I read your original post and just shook my head. For years I've tried to explain to people that a filter change is an indication of the need for an oil change. I've given up and pass the torch on to you. Good luck and I wish you well.

hdhedges

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
Fort Davis, Texas
Would not hurt for Kubota to revise their B2650 manual and require the whole enchilada at 50 hours. Everybody is just trying to follow the book.
Experience.
Experience.
Experience.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Rotella T Engine oil, $18.00. Filters, NAPA gold, $45.00. Hydraulic oil, NAPA $58.00. The whole do it your self project around $125.00.
While mine was still under warranty, I bought all my parts at the Kubota dealer and kept the receipts.

Maybe you saved a couple of bucks versus using Kubota parts and SUDT but you also may have, ahh, voided your warranty there.

If it were me- I'd head down to the dealer, smile and tell them how proud you are of the little machine and how you are looking forward to doing this first service yourself. Ask them how much, if any, fluid you might lose.

Buy the proper Kubota materials and do it for the first time all over again. :D

I save the NAPA filters for the Craftsman.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
While mine was still under warranty, I bought all my parts at the Kubota dealer and kept the receipts.

Maybe you saved a couple of bucks versus using Kubota parts and SUDT but you also may have, ahh, voided your warranty there.

If it were me- I'd head down to the dealer, smile and tell them how proud you are of the little machine and how you are looking forward to doing this first service yourself. Ask them how much, if any, fluid you might lose.

Buy the proper Kubota materials and do it for the first time all over again. :D

I save the NAPA filters for the Craftsman.
I tend to agree with Dan - a whole lot of folks here have said the HST is much quieter with the SUDT...
I went the total change with Kubota products on my L3200DT. Since it is gears, I've topped it up with fluid that says on the jug, "Kubota UDT compatible". I needed to top it up because I've filled half a dozen large hydraulic cylinders for implements on the 3ph.

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
Agree. For the minimal price difference, I went with kubota items for my major service. Only talking a couple $. And it help keeps the local dealer in business.