B2100 starter clicks and eventually starts

ykw54

Equipment
kubota B2100 hsd
Dec 14, 2014
USA
My B2100 had the same starting problems that many users have described , without an electrical diagram it is difficult to properly diagnose the faulty parts. By profession I work with electricity of all types as an instrumentation engineer.
The culprit above all else is THE IGNITION SWITCH ..the diagram clearly points it out .Because there is no intermediate relay between the ignition switch contacts that lead to the starter solenoid positive lug , the ignition switch contacts will arc for years before enough resistance builds that will prevent the full 12.8 volts needed for the solenoid to completely engage the starter brushes .That is what most people are hearing when they hear the click,it is the partial engagement of the solenoid not the entire engagement...at 7 to 8 volt it to the positive lug the solenoid will make noise but it is not fully engaged. Replace the ignition switch and the problem is solved . the starter in my tractor is the original 1996 mitsu... it will flip the tractor over :) it is that strong ..of course having a strong battery cannot be ignored and a charging dynamo that puts out 14 plus volts is also a must for battery health . I also recommend to anyone who is experiencing this problem
to buy a can of DETOX electrical contact cleaner , you can do this before or after changing the ignition switch. Disconnect each Molex plug of the safety switches spray the lugs and reassemble, clean all three major chassis grounds ,the battery negative, the one group under the seat and the group on the injection pump side of the engine and all engine sending units. Remove the dash do the same with the rectifier plug and replace the "offending ignition switch". As soon as it is convenient throw the old switch in the camp fire while having a beer of choice ..it may make up for all the aggravation it caused many of you .I use my tractor around the house, it has a backhoe and I have lots of fun with it , sometimes we all just use these things but forget that electrical contacts can oxidize , some climates are worse than others ..but electrical arcing is the worst thing that can happen to any set of contacts and one of the toughest to diagnose.

start enjoying yours again .

YKW54 :)

aerosport

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with loader
Dec 27, 2014
Charleston, IL
Hi:
I have a B2400 and had, what I believe to be, the same problem you are describing. My solenoid would click once every time I turned the ignition switch to start. This would happen several times and finally the starter would engage and start. Assuming your battery is good, terminals are clean, ground is good, etc... BEFORE you go out and hire a mechanic or buy a new starter try this. I found this solution in a thread on tractorbynet.

John Deere makes a low voltage starter relay (Part # AM107421). I just purchased mine yesterday, installed it in 20 minutes and my problem is SOLVED. The part cost $32 bucks plus tax. The instructions come with the relay and harness. Installation is silly simple. I recommend you disconnect the ground terminal from your battery before you start--just to keep sparks from flying... Ha!
1) The red wire goes to the battery terminal on your solenoid.
2) The black wire goes to ground. (See my additional info on #4 below)
3) Unplug the black/white wire from the slide-on terminal on your solenoid and plug it into the appropriate male/female purple wire's connector on the new harness.
4) Plug the remaining (male or female) purple wire's connector into the terminal on the solenoid from which you removed the black/white wire.
I mounted my relay and the ground wire both to the alternator bracket bolt. You may need to drill out the hole in the relay's mounting tab to enlarge it enough to fit the bolt. Wire tie the excess wires together to make the installation neat and snag-free and you are done.

Seriously, this John Deere relay mounts on your tractor like it was made by Kubota, for Kubota.

Hope this cures your problem as quickly as it did mine.
Roger

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Hi:
I have a B2400 and had, what I believe to be, the same problem you are describing. My solenoid would click once every time I turned the ignition switch to start. This would happen several times and finally the starter would engage and start. Assuming your battery is good, terminals are clean, ground is good, etc... BEFORE you go out and hire a mechanic or buy a new starter try this. I found this solution in a thread on tractorbynet.

John Deere makes a low voltage starter relay (Part # AM107421). I just purchased mine yesterday, installed it in 20 minutes and my problem is SOLVED. The part cost $32 bucks plus tax. The instructions come with the relay and harness. Installation is silly simple. I recommend you disconnect the ground terminal from your battery before you start--just to keep sparks from flying... Ha!
1) The red wire goes to the battery terminal on your solenoid.
2) The black wire goes to ground. (See my additional info on #4 below)
3) Unplug the black/white wire from the slide-on terminal on your solenoid and plug it into the appropriate male/female purple wire's connector on the new harness.
4) Plug the remaining (male or female) purple wire's connector into the terminal on the solenoid from which you removed the black/white wire.
I mounted my relay and the ground wire both to the alternator bracket bolt. You may need to drill out the hole in the relay's mounting tab to enlarge it enough to fit the bolt. Wire tie the excess wires together to make the installation neat and snag-free and you are done.

Seriously, this John Deere relay mounts on your tractor like it was made by Kubota, for Kubota.

Hope this cures your problem as quickly as it did mine.
Roger
You can get the same seleonoids at o'rileys for between 8 and 11$. They are a pretty common part for older cars and trucks. They tend to last longer and hold up better as well :D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
One cleaning not mentioned is the terminals on the battery. A common fault causing this. They seem to like to get loose, perhaps withthe lead squishing some.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Get your starter manufacturer and model number from the decal on the starter and head off to your trusty NAPA to see if solenoid or solenoid contacts are available. My M4500 had same symptoms. $11 later I had a new set of contacts and plunger for the inside of the solenoid. My tractor uses an integral/built-in solenoid. Works like new now. Yours looks like it uses a replaceable solenoid.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Awesome. Thanks.

Part number is "2-ss3, or s63" been a while since I picked some up. Can't remember which one they went by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aerosport

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with loader
Dec 27, 2014
Charleston, IL
I'll have to look monday when I get to work
Hi Daren.
Did you happen to get a chance to get the part number for the relay at O'Reilly's? I went to our local O'Reilly's and all they could come up with is the typical old Ford firewall mounted solenoid.
Thanks so much,
Roger

aerosport

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with loader
Dec 27, 2014
Charleston, IL
Hi Daren.
Did you happen to get a chance to get the part number for the relay at O'Reilly's? I went to our local O'Reilly's and all they could come up with is the typical old Ford firewall mounted solenoid.
Thanks so much,
Roger
Ooops. Sorry, for some reason when I posted my question your reply and picture popped up. Thanks for the info.
Roger