Off Topic: Redshoe is that a halibut I see in your profile?

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Shoe, I was looking through the profile pictures as I do now and then, and I see you've updated your profile pic with what looks to be a good sized fish:

The pic is small but it looks like a halibut as big as you are! Nice catch!

I myself get a bit of fishing done every now and then, latest serious catch was a good sized sturgeon in BC's Fraser river back in October. We attached a good 2lbs weight and a really smelly, fatty salmon belly to the end of each one of five sturgeon rods. Anyone that's tried to cast something this heavy knows that you basically have to javelin-toss it into the river - which was met with mixed results sometimes! :D

Anyway, no action for about 3-4 hours, until the exciting moment that our sturgeon came along! Pulled the other lines up right away and took turns reeling him in from shore - powerful! Wow! After 30-45 minutes we landed him and estimated his weight to be around 85-100lbs.

Glad to see another fisherman online here! Share some pics if you've got 'em, I'll try to dig one of mine up.

Attachments

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
Managed to scratch up some pictures. This isn't me in the photo (a fishing buddy instead) because I do not have any of me on this computer, but it shows the size of that fish. Not huge as far as sturgeons go but still a put up a good fight.

Attachments

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
Wow - another good sized fish. Food chain is right! :D Looks like everyone's hungry!

Here in BC when the salmon come in to spawn, I've been on a river a few times, literally tripping over fish trying to make their way upstream, sometimes in water that is less than a foot deep. For jokes I've tried casting into a pool of maybe, 100 of them or more at the deeper points - they are not interested at all in anything. They are on a mission! Get up stream, spawn and then die. That's a lot of work. Poor fish.

The annual salmon run, what a sight (and a smell :D).

Cool pictures shoe, thanks for sharing.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
Wow! :eek::eek::eek: Those are some good sized fish! Wow! A grin from ear to ear no kidding! Soon fishing season will be back here again - a bit snowy at the moment.... soon. Damn, now I'm jealous!