B7500 won't start- battery is charged

CarrieAnnKy

Oct 16, 2017
Kentucky
My B7500 suddenly has decided not to start. It makes a clicking noise when I turn the key. It will keep clicking while the glow plug light is on. It will start & run no problem if I jump it. Is this a problem with the starter? I checked what I think are the safety switches under the seat & played with the HST peddle, and PTO to no avail. Any help
troubleshooting or advice on starters would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My B7500 suddenly has decided not to start. It makes a clicking noise when I turn the key. It will keep clicking while the glow plug light is on. It will start & run no problem if I jump it. Is this a problem with the starter? I checked what I think are the safety switches under the seat & played with the HST peddle, and PTO to no avail. Any help
troubleshooting or advice on starters would be greatly appreciated!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dont think it is the starter.....because the jumping made it turn over.

Here is what I think it is ....a bad POS cable or more than likely a bad ground.

Clicking noise says you have a connection...........just a poor one!;):)

Take the terminals off the battery, clean them very well.....little sandpaper or scotch bright, make em shine.

Check the cables as they come to the starter too ;):)

The old adage says - "clean them bright and make em tight!"

How old is battery? It too can be the problem. Batteries sometimes go south for no real reason!!;)

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
It's a dead battery. Basically... when the starter hits, the voltage drops, and doesn't spin, and solenoid opens. Then the voltage recovers, and clicks again. (and again, and again)

Go buy a new battery from a reliable source.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
It's a dead battery. Basically... when the starter hits, the voltage drops, and doesn't spin, and solenoid opens. Then the voltage recovers, and clicks again. (and again, and again)

Go buy a new battery from a reliable source.
Check the connections first. That costs nothing.

The diagnostics is a bit subjective, but if you can sense the starter engaging and trying to get the engine to turn over, It's a bad battery.

If there is no sense of even trying, it's likely "aged" battery terminal connections.
Freshen those suckers up! ;-)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
How about few more details about your tractor, its age, post some pictures of your battery and its cables, the starter and of the overall tractor.

Sometimes it is as basic as Dr Honda has suggested. Other times it is very simple and easily overlooked details.

A short story to illustrate my point.

Recently there was an owner of a tractor with many of the same symptoms as your tractor. Cables were cleaned as well as the battery terminals.

I asked the owner to check where the ground cable connected to the engine block. He felt it was good and tight but to amuse me he loosened the bolt securing the ground to the engine. What he found was a very well painted engine block with the ground cable tightly bolted against the paint.

The bolt threads were providing a ground for some time but with rust and time, they no longer could pass the starter current.

A bit of scrapping off of the factory paint and it is like a new tractor again.

There are many tests you could do with a $10 multi meter if you are so inclined and the instructions can be provided. For many owners, they just want the problem fixed regardless of the cost.

If your battery is 5 years old then it owes you no favors and replacing it is worthwhile even if it is not the cause of your issues this time, it soon will be.

Dave M7040

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Dave calls it correctly

But I see no need for additional description or "pictures".

If you are not up to the task of refreshing vital battery and electrical connections, seek out someone who is!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A charged battery can still have a bad plate or a bad internal connection.
Pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested, that is the only way to determine if it's truly a good battery. ;)