Turfs are useless to me

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
The rears on my b1750 are 31x13.3x15. I quickly learned yesterday they pug with dirt very quickly,and I imagine they will be the same in snow.certainly don't need the width. I don't want ags,as I will be crossing the lawn frequently,but not going to mow with it so don't need turfs. I'm wondering if a 31x10.5 x15 mud and snow truck tire would be a good choice,and if they would fit my rims,suspect the rims are too wide.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The rears on my b1750 are 31x13.3x15. I quickly learned yesterday they pug with dirt very quickly,and I imagine they will be the same in snow.certainly don't need the width. I don't want ags,as I will be crossing the lawn frequently,but not going to mow with it so don't need turfs. I'm wondering if a 31x10.5 x15 mud and snow truck tire would be a good choice,and if they would fit my rims,suspect the rims are too wide.
You dont mention if your tractor is 4WD - if it is, then you need to be careful with the ratios between front and rear.

IF NOT 4wd - you can place anything back there you wish! Find the tire you want, that fits the rims and chain em if necessary;):)

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
A couple of things for you to remember.
Turfs are different than other tires so if you are planning to change tires you will be changing rims....at least that is what my dealer told me about my B series.
And secondly, the turfs are supposedly GREAT in the snow...so keep that in mind until you try them. Fortunately for me snow is a once in a while thing here in southern Missouri....less than 1.2" last year. :)>

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
You dont mention if your tractor is 4WD - if it is, then you need to be careful with the ratios between front and rear.

IF NOT 4wd - you can place anything back there you wish! Find the tire you want, that fits the rims and chain em if necessary;):)
Yes the tractor is 4wd,that's why I stuck with a 31" size.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
A couple of things for you to remember.
Turfs are different than other tires so if you are planning to change tires you will be changing rims....at least that is what my dealer told me about my B series.
And secondly, the turfs are supposedly GREAT in the snow...so keep that in mind until you try them. Fortunately for me snow is a once in a while thing here in southern Missouri....less than 1.2" last year. :)>
I get plenty of snow,the main purpose for the tractor,I really doubt the turfs will perform in snow,and the extreme width will be a issue. I do know I will have to chain them,possible load them as well, and I'm not going to load a old worn tire,so it s decision time.im wondering why your dealer mentioned different rims,suspect it's just the width

whiskeymike

Equipment
b2320
Jun 8, 2013
noble ok
Vehicle tires can vary in height from manufacturer, style, model, etc, that's why the height was mentioned. 31" doesn't always mean 31". If you measure the roll out on your current tires you will know better what you need & some tire shops will let you look around and measure tires. But if you do this, what are your plans for front tires?

Turf tires don't do well in mud, but about everything else they do seem to hook up well. They do well in snow and ice because of the softer rubber & large contact patch. They may surprise you. If you don't want ag or turf, your left with r4 which don't do the best in snow IMO. Bar tires may be an option, I don't know much about those.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
The salesman told me R4s were good in snow. Don't tell me a sales guy lied, lol. Figure with 4wd it will be better than my 8Ns and if really bad may go with chains or rubber chains which sounded interesting in an earlier post.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Vehicle tires can vary in height from manufacturer, style, model, etc, that's why the height was mentioned. 31" doesn't always mean 31". If you measure the roll out on your current tires you will know better what you need & some tire shops will let you look around and measure tires. But if you do this, what are your plans for front tires?

Turf tires don't do well in mud, but about everything else they do seem to hook up well. They do well in snow and ice because of the softer rubber & large contact patch. They may surprise you. If you don't want ag or turf, your left with r4 which don't do the best in snow IMO. Bar tires may be an option, I don't know much about those.
I want to find a balance,something that won't clog in mud when I'm in the bush,works well in the snow,and won't cut up the lawn. How do I do the roll out measurement?
Going to keep the fronts as is for now

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I have turfs (not loaded)on my bx2660 and they do well in snow pushing a Buhler 50" snowblower. I have to back up a fairly steep hill and they work without a problem just fill the bucket and go. An alternative would be to use chains in the muddy area that your in. Just my 2 cents, Barry

whiskeymike

Equipment
b2320
Jun 8, 2013
noble ok
Mark the tire and the ground, then roll it one revolution and measure the distance traveled. It would be best to remover the wheel from the tractor. Then remember the roll out on an un mounted tire may differ from mounted. Then you can calculate the distance into height. Easier to get an accurate measurement that way.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I agree Turf do not work well in Mud, in my experience the loaded Turfs on my old B7100 4 x 4 pushing snow with a back blade, never had an issue with the tires loading up in wet or dry snow or issues with poor traction for the 12 years I had it. The only issue I had was lack of weight and power for the amount and distance I would be moving snow. My driveway is 450' long with a section of it at 8.5% grade.
I did not mount chains since I also do the neighbors paved driveway, it's a steeper and longer grade than mine. The only issue I ever had was on ice and that is expected with any tire, so I carried 2, 5 gal. Sand buckets in the loader and a short D handled flat shovel for spreading.
I now have a L3901 with loaded R4's, weight and power should not be an issue. I am curious how the tires will perform in comparison. In any event I will make due, or as a last resort I get the diesel truck with plow out, both beat shoveling but I prefer the tractor.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Turfs with bar chains will claw down through snow ice and soil.

Not that they can push the tractor over or through any obstacle, but turf tires fitted with simple V-bar chains have worked well for my needs both winter snow blowing and summer use for over twenty years. I'm fine with the combination.

And the chains do not leave marks in the lawn! ;-)

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
I would caution relying on a rollout measurement on what was described as worn old tires. At least try to confirm your rollout to the original tire spec.

Firestone Turf and Field are pretty decent in in a variety of applications if you're committed to staying away from any aggressive tread or bar tires.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Get a sipping tool and modify to your own desired tread pattern.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I can't help but wonder,with all the talk of chains lately,how do chains affect the roll out measurements?
I'm also concerned with the lack of room between the inside sidewall and the wall of the fender

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
So I did the roll out measurement on my rear tires,91". Then I did the same on a set of31-10.5x15 on a friends truck,96". That's out as option. Also p235/70r16,89",closer but no cigar.i know I can get 15" or 16" rims to fit my tractor.
Am wondering if anyone would care to do a roll out measurement on there 15",or 16" truck tires and if they are close to 91" ,let me know what size the tire is?
Update,found all the info online,confirming bothe the circumference of the tires on the tractor,and a chart showing me circumference of new options.
I'm learning lots.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Update,found all the info online,confirming bothe the circumference of the tires on the tractor,and a chart showing me circumference of new options.
I'm learning lots.
Pass links along please to help future folk with similar questions

much thanks

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Can't seem to get the link to paste,I just googled tire size calculator and used the circumference numbers

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I want to find a balance,something that won't clog in mud when I'm in the bush,works well in the snow,and won't cut up the lawn.
I have turfs. They worked well in the snow last winter. No chains using plow and snowblower on a 1/2 mile steep paved road.

I had r4's they plug with dirt just as much as turfs. Get a set of R1's (on the rim) for your dirty work, turfs for lawn and winter. Thats what I did at least...

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Can't seem to get the link to paste,I just googled tire size calculator and used the circumference numbers
OK thanks. With the rash of Spam we've been tweaking settings and one tweak may have temporarily blocked you from posting a link.