L245DT rear hydraulics don't work

davisd

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 10, 2014
Beavercreek
A friend of mine and I bought a L245DT. We paid $500 each for the tractor, loader, and a box scraper. It had been sitting outside for a few years and needed a good amount of work and TLC. Another friend had the time and he got the engine going. I recently changed out the universal Trans/Hyd oil and replaced the filter. The loader works great but the hydraulics for the 3 pt aren't doing anything. Any suggestions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look for a knob under the seat, that turns on and adjusts the speed of the three point arms.

davisd

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 10, 2014
Beavercreek
I have tried doing this. Doing this didn't change anything. Something else is wrong. Could the relief valve be the issue? Something internal?

duck

Sep 3, 2014
georgia
mine wouldn't work either on my M8540 but I turned the knob and things were fine till this morning when I went out to continue working on the RPM dogging down issue. Dealer said its probably "internal"...and to bring it in.

Kubota8540D 200 hours,...I got nuthin

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How exactly is the loader connected to the tractors hydraulics, pictures help!
Most loaders of that era have a separate pump to run the loader.

What filter did you replace?

There's a lot more but let's start there. ;)

davisd

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 10, 2014
Beavercreek
I am quite sure that there is just the one hydraulic pump (up by the injection pump). The loader is fed fluid from the relief valve that is to the left and under the drivers seat.

davisd

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 10, 2014
Beavercreek
I forgot to tell you that I replaced the filter for the gear oil. It is located below the relief valve on the left side of the rear-end. I replaced the gear oil with the universal oil that the local Kubota dealer recommended.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Did the three point lift work before the trans /draulic change.? The only time my lift arms quit was when the screen /filter was full. You have a great little tractor for the price of the front axle. Vic would be the one to ask. You may be running the loader off a pump running off the crank on the front of engine.

Last edited:

davisd

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 10, 2014
Beavercreek
Yesterday, I went to a friends house to look at his L245DT. He has the same tractor that I have. My loader is set up the same as his and yet my hydraulics, in the rear (3-pt), don't work work. Could this be the relief valve? Is there something internally that could be causing the issue.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The Kubota hydraulics are open center, normally flowing. Since the FEL works, I'd be looking at the 3ph control/feedback valves. Perhaps the O-rings in the valve are shot. Another possibility is that the feedback is jammed all the way up - that should stop the piston from trying to move. Are the arms all the way up or down?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On the left hand side top is a feed back rod that goes to a valve inside of the three point top.
Verify that that rod is connected.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
FEL is the front end loader. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the 3ph valve is shot, or the lever simply is not turning it. Possibly the feedback linkage is not actually turning its half of the valve - physically pick up the arms, and make sure the linkage is doing its job...
I suppose you could also have the o-rings shot in the piston itself, but that is pretty unlikely. Is there any fluid flow noise or screeching sounds coming from under the seat when you move the lever? Does the FEL still work while you are moving the 3ph lever?

davisd

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 10, 2014
Beavercreek
Thanks for the dialogue. When I lift the 3 pt up the linkage moves. When the tractor is running and I am using the loader, while moving the 3 pt lever, I notice no change in the loader nor do I hear any sound like the 3 pt is attempting to work.