Fuel Additive

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What is the best diesel additive to use for winter? I am new to this as my old tractor was a gas job.
I would first, before adding stuff to your fuel is to make sure that you keep the crud out.

Buy you a nice filter/funnel, the type that keeps the small stuff out and WATER.
I bought this one last year, and yes filling the tank is a little slower but it is great for catching stuff that you would never see!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF1...r=8-4&keywords=diesel+fuel+funnel+with+filter

I found that an old 32 oz gatoraid empty bottle with the bottom cut off works perfect to hold it all in place as you fill the tank.

this is a good anti gel :

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Service...533139&sr=8-1&keywords=Power+Service+anti+gel

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would first, before adding stuff to your fuel is to make sure that you keep the crud out.

Buy you a nice filter/funnel, the type that keeps the small stuff out and WATER.
I bought this one last year, and yes filling the tank is a little slower but it is great for catching stuff that you would never see!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF1...r=8-4&keywords=diesel+fuel+funnel+with+filter

I found that an old 32 oz gatoraid empty bottle with the bottom cut off works perfect to hold it all in place as you fill the tank.

this is a good anti gel :

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Service...533139&sr=8-1&keywords=Power+Service+anti+gel
That PowerService product is for after your tractor has already gelled up, it says right on it, that it is not a preventative. You want one of their other products in either the grey or white bottles.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That PowerService product is for after your tractor has already gelled up, it says right on it, that it is not a preventative. You want one of their other products in either the grey or white bottles.

BAP

yup, jumped before looking ! I hope I dont need it ! By then it will be too late !!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Not a Problem 85Hokie. I used to think the 911 was a preventative until I reread the label closely one time. I use the Power Service in the white bottle and have had real good luck with it.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Those are all good tips.
White bottle P.S. on regular basis.
Buy a Red bottle for the just in case, which i needed last winter.
Pre filter while filling up. I dont do this but it cant hurt.

Anither tip is buy your diesel as needed. It is bleneded for the current temps. I bought some early winter diesel last year as it did a good job mostly, it gelled up a month later when it got really really cold. Also buy it at a place that sells alot of diesel. You can tell by the customers/trucks on a regular basis. You want the freshest and current diesel as possible.

Having a diesel truck for the last 8 years, I've never had a fuel issue. That being said, i was always filling the tank weekly. Last winter the BX ran 1 night when it was 0 w/-20 degree wind chill. But the next day it was -20 w/-40 wind chill. It started up but froze up driving 10' out of the shed. :eek: I bought my fuel 4-6 previously, lesson learned. Sick day :D

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
I now use a product called K-100. I have use Power Service in the past. If you have a metal tank Power Service is fine. If you have a Plastic Fuel tanks on your Tractor you should use K-100 product. All brand of dealership here in Vermont where -40' cold weather comes now have change as Power Service will eat into the Plastic Tanks.

http://k-100.com/

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Just wondering...

I have some Power Service too. How does it not eat through the bottle it's in?
Plastic is pretty impervious. Do we know this "plastic attack" story is real and not a dealer rumor to push his own product? Just wondering.

Seems like with as many tractors out there, this would be a big story...

sooeyman

Equipment
BX2660
Apr 25, 2010
Blackwater, Mo. USA
The Fitch Fuel Catalyst is all I use on all of my gas or diesel engines. I have never had a fuel-related problem in more than ten years since I first started using this product. It works!

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Ran heavy equipment and used nothing but the fuel that came off the trucks. Got fueled after work every night. Cranes,dozers ,forklifts,and frontloaders all used same stuff. I get mine at a local truck stop in a blue plastic 5 gallon container that is old and has a spout. Been doing so for two tractors for 30 plus years and a 0ld 1996 ford 7.3. Keep clean filters on stuff and a good battery. Maybe I have been lucky.