L3800 HST - HST making noise in High

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
L3800 HST - HST or Hyd Pump making noise in High

Hi guys, I have 100 hrs on my 2012 L3800. Mowing, Backhoe and loader work, I don't baby the machine but I don't abuse it either.

Last weekend I brought her back from my property about 14 miles away, I do not have a trailer so I took her down the county roads . . 2700 RPM in High gear.

I wear shooting earmuffs when I operate to protect my hearing . . Any way about 1/2 way back I noticed a rattle , not a mechanical kinda rattle like to pieces of metal rattling together . . I got plenty of those just because its a tractor. This seemed to be coming from the right side a bit forward and down low. . . it was speed related and was most pronounced when the tractor was unloading going downhill . . if I let up on the HST pedal just a bit it would get quieter, if I let up a little more it would go away . . on the flats and going uphill it was not there . . It does not sound like the good kind of rattle . . it started out barely noticeable but then over the next couple of miles it became unmistakable but not alarming or obnoxious. If I throttled back 100 RPM it does not do it. I have made this 14 mile journey a half dozen times, this just started. Towards the end of the trip it was intermittent whereas it was constant at the beginning under the speed conditions noted above.

It's not a good sound and I suspect it is related to the hydraulic pump . . Thoughts?? And do I need to get her in the shop . . Warranty expires in December.

Edited to add: The Hyd Fluid is if anything , , slightly overfilled (by maybe a quart and a half, maybe two quarts) when I did a complete fluid and filter change at 52 hrs I was not on a completely flat surface. Did not realize it untill I checked it when I got her home Sunday from my property.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Re: L3800 HST - HST or Hyd Pump making noise in High

Sometimes things are hard to locate, especially while you are going down the road. My L3000 had a noise that drove me crazy for a long time. Turned out it was the arms that support the loader while it's removed. Simple bungie cord did the trick and the rattle stopped. My M9000 had a rattle that sounded like the back end of the tractor was about to fall apart and hit the ground. It's the drawbar rattling when nothing is hooked to it.

My point to all this, look for something simple. I'm not trying to say you don't have a real problem but in my experience so far all my strange little noises have ended with a simple solution. Hopefully you will be lucky as well.

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Thanks Bulldog . . I did go over the tractor pretty thoroughly. That is why I am pretty sure it's not something simple like that.

Loader was on the machine and while the noise was occurring I raise, lowered, curled the loader etc . . never made a difference in the noise.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Was it in 2wd or 4wd?

Could be as simple as the propeller shaft( front wheel driveshaft) rattling, as it moves all the time, even with 4wd disengaged.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The piece of sheet metal down behind right foot rattled bad on mine. Took a while to figure it out, but was an easy fix.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Since you are thinking it's hyd related, did you ever notice any noise before the fluid and filter change?
What kind of fluid and filters did you use when it was changed?

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Since you are thinking it's hyd related, did you ever notice any noise before the fluid and filter change?
What kind of fluid and filters did you use when it was changed?
No Sir, never any noise until that last road trip home from the property at about the 99 hour mark.

I used all Kubota filters and Super UDT2 at 52 hours. The noise is coming from low in the engine area and is loudest on the right side . . like a rattle but more metallic if that makes sense . . louder when the tractor unloads . . down a slight incline . . 2700-2800 RPM in High . . backing off ~slightly~on the go-pedal reduces the noise, backing off a little more eliminates the noise..

Maybe this weekend I will put her on the blacktop and try to make it do it again, then I will put her in 4WD and see if it changes . .

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Update:

OK Guys, I took the tractor out today for a spin to try to nail down that noise. It only does it in 2WD, when I put her in 4WD the noise does not occur. It is still not a good rattle. I will be calling the dealer to pick it up tomorrow to take a look at it.

Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Problem Solved!!

The source of the noise was the tube that covers the pilot shaft to the front wheel drive. The forward part of the tube is secured by a rubber grommet that plugs into a larger tube at the rear of the crankcase oil pan.. This grommet had backed out of the front tube allowing it to rattle loudly (and alarmingly I might add . . my neighbor heard the sound and said it sounded like gears getting chewed up . . he is a heavy equipment mechanic . . .)

I pushed the grommet back in place and the noise went away until the grommet backed out again. Then I secured the grommet with some black RTV.

Glad it was something simple and not expensive.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hate to rattle your cage but it's possible that you have just masked a bigger problem, if it has a bad carrier bearing or internal bushing it could give you more trouble later, like in 4 feet of snow!:eek:

I personally would pull the whole assembly out and check the 2 other parts you can't see, a bearing and another bushing that keeps things in place.;)

It's an easy removal, drive out the roll pin in the rear, slide the tube forward, drive the roll pin out of the coupler then remove the 2 bolts and remove the whole assembly.:cool:

Attachments