ZD18 cranks but wont start

Grasscutter

Equipment
zd18 mower
Sep 15, 2014
Searcy,AR
Last summer (2013) my zd18 would not start without pushing throttle about halfway forward. This year I have had to keep moving the throttle forward to wide open to get it to start. Once started it runs great and when shut off it will restart no problem. The other day I cranked it several times with throttle open and it would not start. It finally started and I ran it for 2 hrs with no problem. Ive changed the two cartridge fuel filters a couple of times over the years. It has 820 hrs on it. I'm not much of a diesel mechanic and don't want to pay a mechanic if I can fix this myself. The mower is a 2002model. Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Last summer (2013) my zd18 would not start without pushing throttle about halfway forward. This year I have had to keep moving the throttle forward to wide open to get it to start. Once started it runs great and when shut off it will restart no problem. The other day I cranked it several times with throttle open and it would not start. It finally started and I ran it for 2 hrs with no problem. Ive changed the two cartridge fuel filters a couple of times over the years. It has 820 hrs on it. I'm not much of a diesel mechanic and don't want to pay a mechanic if I can fix this myself. The mower is a 2002model. Thanks

ok, dumb question....does your lever CUT the engine off? Or does the key? I am learning that the older models used a level to throttle back and then cut the fuel off.....could yours be out of adjustment? like the linkage?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you get some dirty fuel, you may have to replace the filters again. What you describe would cause me to try that first. Is your battery hot enough to spin the engine fast enough? That's the easy stuff.

Grasscutter

Equipment
zd18 mower
Sep 15, 2014
Searcy,AR
85Hokie, the throttle does not kill engine, only the key.
rentthis, I put a new battery on this spring and it cranks very good. There is a metal canister in the fuel line that I have not changed. I changed the plastic see thru with the canister filter. There are two of these. I asked the dealer for fuel line filters and that was the only two they gave me. Not sure what the metal canister is. I'll check with dealer on this. Thanks