Aging Beef

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We’ve got some in the works now.
He brings them in for the winter anyway, so late-winter he starts finishing the ones he is sending. Usually done April.
They have been really good, flavor is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tpack

Equipment
Kubota L3901/4x4/525 FEL /1260 Cutter
Aug 22, 2015
Stephenville

Attachments

niteshiftfromkc

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 11, 2016
South KC, MO
CM,

What are you doing with the pellicle? I have heard to grind it up and mix it with burger for some good tasting burgers. I'm utilizing the Umai dry age bags right now for the first time. It's been aging for around 28 days so far. Trying a brisket and a strip loin. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I got the idea of dry aging from the Guga Food youtube channel. If this turns out I will have to purchase a refrigerator specifically for the dry aging.

Nite

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
CM,

What are you doing with the pellicle? I have heard to grind it up and mix it with burger for some good tasting burgers. I'm utilizing the Umai dry age bags right now for the first time. It's been aging for around 28 days so far. Trying a brisket and a strip loin. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I got the idea of dry aging from the Guga Food youtube channel. If this turns out I will have to purchase a refrigerator specifically for the dry aging.

Nite

Guga food channel. like his videos.

I plan to mix it with venison to make jerky sticks.

wozza

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 12, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Oh that is just making my mouth water. My only concern with your "test" is the freezing of the steaks, as this will have an impact on the final taste.

Dry aged Rump is probably one of my most favourite cuts.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Oh that is just making my mouth water. My only concern with your "test" is the freezing of the steaks, as this will have an impact on the final taste.

Dry aged Rump is probably one of my most favourite cuts.
I want to do a comparison of the control cut and froze from the beginning then of the of the 21, 28, and 45 day aging. The time from beginning to 45 days just to long not to freeze that is why each is frozen to minimize variation.

I like GUGA foods on youtube and he did a fresh vs. frozen comparison and found no real difference.

I'm sure their is some but with my study had no other way.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
CM, I've vacuum packed and frozen my steaks after aging and eaten them soon as I've cut them in to steaks. I've noticed very little if any change in flavor or texture.

Keep going like you're going and let us know how it turns out.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
CM, I've vacuum packed and frozen my steaks after aging and eaten them soon as I've cut them in to steaks. I've noticed very little if any change in flavor or texture.

Keep going like you're going and let us know how it turns out.
I vacuum most all my meats when I freeze them even store bought stuff will remove from store packaging and vacuum and freeze.

The 21 day comes out Tuesday going to be tuff not to sample it:) The 28 day next Tuesday then the long wait till the 45 is ready, end of month.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
The bone-in ribeye I'm wet aging will come out the last week of the month.

I look forward to you telling us about yours.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
ehenry, I am as well cant wait to see how it turns out.

Share some pics of yours when the time comes and any details we could use to our benefit good or bad.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
My motto's always been you cook it I'll eat it, just not sure I can wait that long.

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
BearBait, I work with a guy that's all about cooking any kind of and seafood. He's pretty good at it too but he's just like you said...***8230;.He cant wait that long to age a piece of beef.

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Well, I cut the ribeye I've been aging for a month. I did something I little different. I cut the cap off, rolled and tied it then cut it in to steaks. They say that is better than Filet Mignon. We will see. I ended up with a little over a pound of trim meat for a stir fry. I figure something to do with the ribs. Pics below. Sorry they're upside down.

Attachments

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42633&stc=1&d=1556980770

These steaks are absolutely choice. The ones I was referring to were the ones at the beginning . There is nothing wrong with select, it just lacks marbling for a lesser price.. Just say`n. :D

Sorry, the steaks you have pictured are 'Prime' by today's standards. There are actually eight different grades for beef, but only three that are commonly used by consumers. Those are: Select, Choice and Prime. Back in the '8o's when heart health came into vogue, beef got the snot kicked out of it in the public eye. The USDA adjusted it's grading criteria downward. Basically, Select became the new Choice, Choice became Prime and the old Prime was labeled as heart attack on a platter. Not entirely accurate but very close.

ehenry

Equipment
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Ramos, I wish I'd taken a picture of the USDA ribbon and badge on the cryo-wrap. The USDA badge had CHOICE under it. I bought the bone in ribeye at Kroger 4/4/19 for $6.99 lb using a Kroger card. If I remember right it was $9.00 lb with out a Kroger card.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ramos, I wish I'd taken a picture of the USDA ribbon and badge on the cryo-wrap. The USDA badge had CHOICE under it. I bought the bone in ribeye at Kroger 4/4/19 for $6.99 lb using a Kroger card. If I remember right it was $9.00 lb with out a Kroger card.
ehenry - - nice looking steaks!

$7 for a rib is pretty darn good. Cap and bones off, and just a pound of trim sounds like pretty good yield...

I can sometimes get a whole boneless ribeye for $8.99 at Christmas from a Restaurant Supply's "Party Warehouse" that caters to both Food Service folks as well as individuals...

I think it's a "Loss Leader" for them, and may be Select....

Now those are wet-aged, or one that's still aging???...How do you do that?

Obviously I'm very interested in the topic...I'm a steak "purist", meaning I love a good steak without marinade, seasoning, etc. (I do use a black/red pepper blend, no salt)..

I've also cooked more steaks and roasts than the average guy, both commercially and at home.

But, any way I can make my steak better before it hits the grill is always appreciated!

I'm never too old or smart to learn something new!

Last edited:

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I have no doubt they were (are) Choice. I sure don't know everything but to keep it short.... Our family has been in the beef game for five generations. My sixteen year old son has been competing in beef showmanship and market for five years himself, and he is part of that fifth generation. That's completely separate from the family ranch side of things. It's grown over the years but became a Century Farm in the 70's. Beef, it's what's for dinner! Remember that campaign, LOL!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My 28 day aged beef comes out tonight for it's trimming.

My 21 day for those who like numbers.

Day 1 weight = 66 ounces
Day 7 weight = 58.9 ounces
Day 14 weight = 56 ounces
Day 21 weight = 53.5 ounces
Loss = 18.9%

Trimmed weight = 31.8 ounces
Loss = 32.9%

Total loss was = 51.8%

Cost was $8.88 per pound with the loss new price after aging and trimming would be $18.60 a pound.

Well that is one of the reasons aged beef cost so much more, add in the time and the place to do it and their we have it.

After I process the 28 day loin tonight I'll post the results and some pics.

niteshiftfromkc

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 11, 2016
South KC, MO
I took my brisket out of the fridge this past Friday. It had been in there for 42 days. I didn't get any weights other than the starting weight which was 19.2 lbs. I trimmed the pellicle and the excess fat, then put my rub on overnight. A couple of things that stood out to me was the texture of the fat and the amount of moisture. The normal hard fat that I usually trim off the cryovac briskets was still hard, but the fat that I usually leave on for smoking had a different consistency. It was almost like soft butter. Usually when I put my rub on overnight, there is an excessive amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan the next day. The aged brisket did not have any of that. I took the one picture of the brisket in the Umai bag and forgot to take another one until I started removing the pellicle.

I smoked it the next day and after letting it rest, cut into it. It had a lot of juice to it. It was beef candy. It was really tender and didn't last long. I am now hooked on the aging process. My family can't wait until the weekend when we take the strip loin out of the fridge and make the steaks. Those should be at the 50 day mark and are going to be reverse seared to a medium rare.

Attachments