Float operation on L534 loader

Watchwldr

Equipment
B2650, La534 FEL, Land Pride STB1072 Snow Blade, Home Made 600#Ballast Box
Jun 17, 2018
Coatesville Pa USA
Hello all
This is my first post and I thank everyone in advance for any help they can provide.
I just bought my first tractor, the B2650 with the L534 loader. I`m having trouble mastering the "Float"operation. It works great when back dragging but when going forward it doesn't do very well. I find that detent position with no problem but the bucket still has so much down pressure the front wheels come off the ground. Or it will float for a bit then with no input from me suddenly the bucket goes down, again lifting the front end up, or digging in. I've experimented with the bucket flat and curledback but no luck. Any advice would be appreciated. George

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's actually not down pressure, it's the rear wheels torque and the lack of front weight causing the front to lift.

You could put front end weights on it to help, but it's of little use.

When going forward don't use float keep your hand on the control and adjust accordingly! ;)

Watchwldr

Equipment
Jun 17, 2018
Coatesville Pa USA
It's actually not down pressure, it's the rear wheels torque and the lack of front weight causing the front to lift.

You could put front end weights on it to help, but it's of little use.

When going forward don't use float keep your hand on the control and adjust accordingly! ;)
Hmm
Sort of brings into question why have it at all if that's the technique one has to use...
But what about the fact that it sometimes will go along fine and then out of nowhere depress itself? George

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The loader bucket will float fine going forward until it bites in or encounters significant resistance. At that point the tractor front end rises while pushing the fel arms down.
Depending on what work is being done, adjusting the bucket curl is in order, and takes practice. I rarely float the bucket unless I’m plowing snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Watchwldr

Equipment
Jun 17, 2018
Coatesville Pa USA
Does that mean I need to spend more time PRACTICING ? Just what a fella with a brand new tractor wants to hear! :D (I was hoping this smilie would come up ORANGE...)
Thanks for the tips and I'll see if I can improve my skills. It's been in the 80's here so not much of a chance to plow snow yet but so far have raked and leveled 3 tri axles of 3/4" crushed stone plus moved lots of firewood. As was expected, my only regret was not buying this sooner! Thanks! George

Watchwldr

Equipment
Jun 17, 2018
Coatesville Pa USA
What's better than having your own boat?
Having a NEIGHBOR with a boat!
Which is exactly what I have-- plus a york rake, back blade, and post hole digger! Oh, and he has a green tractor that has served him very well for over 20 years. But after putting more hours on his tractor than I care to admit, I took him by complete surprise last month when I pulled into my place with the 2650! He removes his front end loader each spring to convert from "snow" to "mow" and has been cutting his 11 acres every week with his JD 955 and a 5' finish mower for over 20 years. He will always let me put the bucket on whenever I need it, but it was high time I bought my own machine to work in my 9 acres of woods. So now we'll always have one tractor and sometimes two with a loader and I don't have to borrow his any more.
As to the differences in the two tractors, apart from his being rated at a higher horsepower, I really liked the Kubota's quick change front bucket and all the little things that the Kubota has to make it an easier machine to use and maintain. I will admit the JD's system of removing the loader is nice, since you don't have to get off the tractor to do it, but I won't be removing mine very often.
And the Kubota's loader controls are way nicer, although I still feel I could do better with this float thing that got me started on this thread in the first place...
As to borrowing implements from my neighbor, I have to say this: there are three of us neighbors on our road that are always here for each other-- one is a carpenter, the one with the JD is an electrician/computer tech, and I am a pipeline welder. So we each bring different skills into our mix, and as long as one of us has a tool or gadget we all have it! I am blessed to be in this situation and they both know the Kubota is there should they need it!
Future attachments will include a counter weight/ ballast box and a front snow blade but one step at a time... George