2015 BX25D Backhoe with 3-Point Hitch

dalepres

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 21, 2016
NE Oklahoma
I'm getting ready to install the 3-point hitch for the first time on my BX - had it over a year but never needed it until now. My question is, once it is on, will I be able to put the backhoe back on with the 3-point in place or will I have to take it off again to put the backhoe on?

Thanks,

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
You need to remove one to do the other. It's confusing the first time, but after that you can do it in half an hour easy
Do you have a roller cart for the backhoe? Remember to put a strap between the stiff legs once it's off and stored, as they will come down.

Something else to think about, if you get a rear quick hitch, ( HF is very inexpensive) you can set up most all your implements on it so you can hook up and unhook in literally one minute.
The exception for that is a Post Hole Digger, as it uses its own arm setup. I use a rake, land plane and trailer tow setup off my QH, and my neighbor has a box blade I can borrow that fits it also.

Last edited:

dalepres

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 21, 2016
NE Oklahoma
You need to remove one to do the other. It's confusing the first time, but after that you can do it in half an hour easy
Do you have a roller cart for the backhoe? Remember to put a strap between the stiff legs once it's off and stored, as they will come down.

Something else to think about, if you get a rear quick hitch, ( HF is very inexpensive) you can set up most all your implements on it so you can hook up and unhook in literally one minute.
The exception for that is a Post Hole Digger, as it uses its own arm setup. I use a rake, land plane and trailer tow setup off my QH, and my neighbor has a box blade I can borrow that fits it also.
Thanks for the reply and useful tips. You're right; it was a pain the first time. After watching a couple excellent videos on youtube about how to attach the 3-point hitch - showing installation and removal within the same 3-and-a-half minute video, I went out to tackle mine. 90 minutes later, including going back in to watch the videos once again and reading the manual another time, I finally got it done. But I can see that, now that I know the steps, it is a 5 minute operation either way in the future.

I put it on today and got to use my trailer tow setup and my Land Shark post-hole digger came in late today so I didn't get to look at it but that was the primary reason for taking off the backhoe. Now you tell me I didn't need the hitch? :) that's ok because I do need it for a carry-all and the trailer tow so I got to play a bit and figure it out. Now I'll get to practice taking it off next weekend to play with the post-hole digger.

Obviously, I am very new to all this tractor stuff. I bought my BX in November 2015 and only got to put about 11 hours on it all year. It's got 36 hours now because my son-in-law borrowed it to dig footings for a new house for his sister and has used it more than I have but the BX and I have a busy year planned this year.

dalepres

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 21, 2016
NE Oklahoma
By the way, I didn't get a cart for the backhoe. Any suggestions on what to use? If it drops down I'll have to try to power it and stand it backup, I guess; if the hoses will fit. I wonder if it makes sense to have a few extension hoses just for such a case.

Oh, and now that the 3-point hitch is on, it's pretty clear that the backhoe can't go back on with it there. Guess it is pretty obvious to anyone who's had any experience.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
It's just a learning curve, you can watch videos, or someone else do it, once you get it done, it sticks. A very inexpensive way to make a dolly is with one or two( I use two for balance) movers Dolly's, and a piece of plywood, and or 2x4's. I had scrap wood, and went to Harbor Freight and picked up two on sale for about $10. Each. So a $20. Investment and a handful of screws

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
I believe BXpanded has the cart. I bought one and then made one for a friend that has the same tractor. Of course the one I made is beefyer and weighs more, but the one from Bxpanded is well built. If you have a fab shop and a bunch of scrap steel around, yea, you can make your own. But what you buy is pretty nice. I am very happy with mine. I can wheel it all over the shop so that it is out of the way and if I'm not using the hoe for I long time, I like to keep it in out of the weather.
The other tip I would add is concrete. If the tractor is level and you have a good floor to move stuff on, it make changing implements a lot easier. With the cart for the hoe, from the time I back into the shop, I can have the hoe on or off in 3 minutes or less without rushing. The tiller now, that takes awhile to put on.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Here's an old pic of the trimmed down version of the BH dolly. I used one large and one small dolly to keep the footprint as trim as possible IMG_2586.jpg

You can somewhat see the tie down strap across the two stiff leg pads to hold them up and in place. You won't need extension hoses, the stock ones are plenty long. With the Hoe on a dolly, you can have the hydros attached to curl the bucket, lift and lower the legs etc.
Make sure to turn the tractor OFF, and release all pressure by moving each control lever each way, BEFORE you attempt to undo the hydro fittings.
This site has a wealth of knowledge about anything you wish to do, try, or dont know about. Just ask! That's how I got the original measurements to making my Dolly's for implements. Once you do one, you will figure out the rest. I keep my hydraulic attachments indoors, but land plane, and cultivator are outside.

Last edited:

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
If you ever decide to get a mower deck and bagger you will have more work. The bagger uses the 3pth BUT needs to install new upper lift arm stationary points, and those get in the way of the backhoe install. Search my posts for more details if you need help with this one. Also the new drive over deck will not work with the bx25d either.

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
If you don't need a cart I just use a combo of cinder blocks and lumber to get a good height and set the backhoe down on that, with the stabilizers down.

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
I do the same, I have two patio blocks, I think they are 18x24 inches each, and have them raised up off the ground. Just set the backhoe on them, and leave the stabilizers down as well.

M88A1

Equipment
BX25 w/BH MMM FEL, MX47 w/ FEL, Bushhog disk, bedder, pallet forks, hay spear
Dec 1, 2015
Bedford Indiana
I do the same, I have two patio blocks, I think they are 18x24 inches each, and have them raised up off the ground. Just set the backhoe on them, and leave the stabilizers down as well.
I will 3rd the cinder block and 2 small chunks of 4x4.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
It really depends on where you decide to drop the backhoe. If it is out of the way a pallet or cinder blocks are fine. If you are storing it in a shop, garage, or shed and may want to move it then a simple dolly is handy. There are commercial dollies or home made versions. I followed several members and made a simple wooden version. It lets me keep the backhoe in my garage yet move it by hand easily.

Attachments

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have a 72' deep shop and I would be very upset if it wasn't on a movable dolly as it always seems to be in an inconvenient place. Everything gets pushed from one side to the other all the time. Well worth the $20. Invested for dolly wheels