Weights

mdj577

Equipment
B8200, BX22
May 8, 2010
Barrington, IL
Need weights for the front of my B8200. New are expensive and shipping used ones not cheap either. Anyone know of a reasonable source or any suggestions on jerry-rigging something?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Local steel place near me sells 12 inch sections of steel train rails real cheap as anvils. Make a metal box of angle iron to hold them and bolt it to the front of the tractor. Less than cost of any tractor weight I have seen.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Need weights for the front of my B8200. New are expensive and shipping used ones not cheap either. Anyone know of a reasonable source or any suggestions on jerry-rigging something?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Just out of curiousity what size weights have you priced and how much were they?

As far as home made goes, I made some out of steel plate and layered them in between the front frame rails on my B 7100. I took advantage of a hole that was already in the side plate and pinned the plates in thru it so they couldn't fall off. Depending on how far you let them hang down you can add a fair amount of weight and still not interfere with a fel.

mdj577

Equipment
B8200, BX22
May 8, 2010
Barrington, IL
Local steel place near me sells 12 inch sections of steel train rails real cheap as anvils. Make a metal box of angle iron to hold them and bolt it to the front of the tractor. Less than cost of any tractor weight I have seen.
Thanks for the advice. I need to get a torch and also learn how to weld. Would make my life eaiser in a lot of ways.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I am going to use some forklift forks that I cut up. With a hole through them I can pin them to the front weight holder on my tractor. :)

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I agree - I wanted a set of forks to mount on my FEL really bad. I finally went to Clark Forklift dealer & bought a scrapped set w/ the carrier and reconfigured it to fit my tractor. Man, have they been handy!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree - I wanted a set of forks to mount on my FEL really bad. I finally went to Clark Forklift dealer & bought a scrapped set w/ the carrier and reconfigured it to fit my tractor. Man, have they been handy!
I never dreamed how much I would used forks. I have mine on just about as much as the bucket.

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
You can also ballast the front tires. I did it myself with calcium chloride and water in a tubed tire. I used a small fluid transfer pump I bought at a local auto store which had a fitting for tire stems. I raised the tires off the ground, took the air and valve out, turned the stem up, and pumped it in one gallon at a time. It took a long time but I sat in my garage listening to Buddy Holly.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Aquaforce :eek:cant beleive you cut up forks man what all I could make out of those. Ha. handy

Well I used some pieces on my press to help stiffen it up and have more space on the press bed. Here is a pic where I used them pressing the new sleeves in my block.

I second that as well Handy. I hope he will at least come back and tell us that they were broke or something. :(:eek::D

Well kind of, the were put out of service by our usage standards at work so I bought them as scrap and cut them up.
I still have one that I am going to split and make a "carry all" with forks on the 3 point. We made one when I was groing up on the farm and we used that thing almost every day. Mine will be adjustable so I can spread them out or slide them in just like a forklift. :D

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think Capt Candle Wax is just trying to rub it in.

When I didn't think I wanted them I ran across used forks every where and then when I finally wanted a set nobody had any. I guess that is normal though.

I agree with you on the carry all. We had one that we used all the time when I was growing up. It was a handy piece to have.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Captain candle wax, as always I'm impressed with your improvising and great work.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I think Capt Candle Wax is just trying to rub it in.

When I didn't think I wanted them I ran across used forks every where and then when I finally wanted a set nobody had any. I guess that is normal though.

I agree with you on the carry all. We had one that we used all the time when I was growing up. It was a handy piece to have.

That is always the way my luck is; need it can't find it, don't need it and it's under my feet. :(

If you need more I can let you know when we have more to retire.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I appreciate that Aquaforce. We aren't really that far apart so I may be interested in a set sure enough. That would give me a good reason to meet you and get to go to Sonny's BBQ in Merietta while I'm down that way. Thanks for the offer.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds good to me. Thanks for keeping me in mind. We can get BBQ and talk about that 50' chicken right up the street. My kids were amazed at that thing.