BX2200 Leak

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Hello there,

I recently performed a routine service on my BX2200. I changed engine oil and filter, HST filter/cleaned screen, refilled with Super UDT2, both fuel filters, air filter, and drain/fill the front gearbox (coolant change to follow).

I did the front gearbox last and as expected, the gear oil was going in slowly. After about 3 quarts, it didn't seem to want to take any more. I thought OK, it needs to work itself in and I'll drive a minute then keep checking and filling it. I took it to the mailbox and back, topped off again, took about half a quart that time. OK, but still less than the ~5 quarts I'm expecting to need (at this point I'm at like 3.5 total quarts).

Well I let it idle for a bit while cleaning up, and I come back to see a spot on the driveway. I get underneath and see that something is dripping off what looks like part of the frame or engine mount? I can't figure out where it's coming from, the obvious suspects being oil filter or that front gearbox... But the gearbox looks like it can't really be that might higher than where the drips are forming, and I can't really see where the oil filter seals to determine if that's it. I also am wary of backing the oil filter off and causing a gush, further complicating my efforts to figure out what the heck is dripping.

It appears to be new fluid, whatever it is. Where would you start trying to track this down, since I can't apparently see the source?

Attachments

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
im going with oil filter here, that's engine oil.

you wont know till you get in there, clean everything, and look closer with a light.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
Did you notice if the gasket from the old filter came out or is it still there under the new filter?

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Did you notice if the gasket from the old filter came out or is it still there under the new filter?

Gasket definitely came off with the old filter. If anything I man-handed the new filter on too tightly and squished that new gasket... Which could be the problem. I think the drip stopped while the tractor is just sitting, I'll fire it up in a few and see if the leak starts again when it's under pressure. I'm just nervous it was something more nefarious that I don't know about yet.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
The leak basically stopped, until I fired it up and started driving around it came back albeit a little slower. I backed the oil filter off a half turn too, no clue what the issue is.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are additives that can help you locate leaks. They show up under black (ultraviolet) light so can show the path of the leakage.

I know that they have it for engine oil but not sure about other fluid so you may have to research it if you are interested in using it in other fluids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Interesting. Is there anywhere at the rear of the front axle that could be the source? I noticed it basically stopped overnight, but not completely. I cracked the fill cap to see if more gear oil had settled and if I needed to add more, and it sort of swelled up toward the fill cap, so I quickly capped it. Then I noticed the drip had started again when I checked it half an hour later... Could it be some sort of overflow for the axle?

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I should clarify that I know how the dipstick works, and that it shouldn't be full to the top, but the gear oil was so thick it kept rising to the top before working in a little. It's entirely possible I overfilled it, although I have a full quart remaining from the just under 5 quarts I expected to put into it. Maybe it didn't fully drain? But a full quart seems like a lot to have remained in there.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It's leaking from the seals around the front axle oscillation bolt. It goes thru the axle housing, has bushings, o rings, and backup seals.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
It's leaking from the seals around the front axle oscillation bolt. It goes thru the axle housing, has bushings, o rings, and backup seals.
Plus 1. Pretty common leak area.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
isnt the front axle filled with UDT, which is pretty clear? that fluid looks very dark

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It can have either UDT or 80/90 gear oil. Spray the area off with brake cleaner or soap and water. Drive it a little and look for the leak.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
My dealer recommended 80W-90 gear oil in there, based on the hours (1480). They said, as most of you guys probably know, that UDT came in them but after about 500 hours or so to start using the gear oil.

Thanks for the info, gents. I've driven it around in 2 and 4 wheel drive and it seems to not be leaking anymore, or at least not steadily. Why is it so hard to read the dang dipstick on these things? I pull it out and can barely tell where the level is half the time, not to mention having to screw it in and out to check the level. A conversion kit better dipstick would be a cool albeit niche product.

Aside, I struggle to read the HST level too on that dipstick. Should that be checked with engine running or off? Or does it not matter? Thanks again!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
good info here, I guess i will convert mine over soon.

i believe the HST gets checked with engine off, and hydraulic rams retracted. Im sure one of the pros will be by to verify. I am still learning all this stuff too

Last edited:

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
good info here, I guess i will convert mine over soon.

i believe the HST gets checked with engine off, and hydraulics rams retracted. Im sure one of the pros will be by to verify. I am still learning all this stuff too

I didn't even really think about the ram position mattering, but now it's blatantly obvious why. Pretty sure my FEL was in normal down/storage position when I checked it, but now worth a double-check to be sure.