Added electric brakes to my trailer

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Bought my trailer a few years ago, cheap!!!! Been a great trailer, but my only complaint was that it didn't have electric brakes.

Been dealing with Liberty trailer down in North Little Rock. I was in a few weeks ago for some trailer parts for the shop and happened to ask how much brake assemblies and new hubs would be for my trailer. Brake assemblies were $35 and new hubs were $75. Hubs included new bearings, wheel seal, lug nuts, and two separate caps. And came already greased :D

So, I stopped in Friday and picked up a set of hubs and brake assemblies for the trailer. As well as a brake away kit that has the battery box and break away with cable. Some 7 conducter trailer wire and a 7 pin rv plug. They only had the hubs for one axle, so a second set are on order and will be here Monday or Tuesday.

Spent about 1 1/2 hours earlier today, rewired the trailer, installed the battery box, break away and installed the brake assemblies and hubs on the rear axle. Then performed a function test on everything. Installing the hubs and brake assemblies on the front axle should take about a 1/2 hour when the come in :D:D

Forgot to get a picture of the hub installed. I'll make sure and get a picture when I get the hubs for the front axle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice! You're "uptown" now Daren. It would take me all day to do that wiring. I'm slower than a 7 year itch with that!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nice! You're "uptown" now Daren. It would take me all day to do that wiring. I'm slower than a 7 year itch with that!
I get quite a few pieces of equipment shipped in that have had all the wiring removed including the trailer lights. So i've had quite a bit of practice wiring up lights and brakes. Do it enough times, it becomes second nature. With all the wiring already there, it will probably only take me a 1/2 hour to hook up the brake assemblies and install the hubs on the front axle when the parts come in :D:D

I gotta clean up the junction for the wiring in the morning. It was 99 degrees out when i got done testing everything, so i gave up on it till it's cooler :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you wire in a charging circuit to the break away battery, keeps the battery fully charged all the time.

It's simple if you have accessory power to the & pin plug.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Great job Daren. Can you do my trailer now?

I have only been meaning to do it for the last 30 years... In fact, it's been so long, trailer light technology has changed to LED so I have TWO new sets of lights and about 1/2 mile of wire for a little motorcycle trailer. I have had the trailer so long, it has PERMANENT for a sticker on the plate.

It's getting close to the top of my list. No... really.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did you wire in a charging circuit to the break away battery, keeps the battery fully charged all the time.

It's simple if you have accessory power to the & pin plug.
Yup, power in to the battery box is hooked up and verified for 12 volt constant power when it's plugged into the truck.

Nice.

A suggestion: I'm not a big fan of crimp-connectors for exterior wiring. I prefer solder and heat-shrink. I also prefer a junction box to contain them. I used this one, which contains 7 terminal binding posts, for my trailer:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/7-6-trailer-wiring-junction-box/A-p8215741e

(also handy for wiring the car-end side of things)
It's a little different when you live in an area with salt and snow. If I was in an area with lot's of both, it would be wired into a junction box and protected a little more. Around this area, it's usually a ground that needs cleaning on occasion ;)

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I located heat shrink that has some type of heat sensitive glue that seals to the wire better than normal heat shrink tube. Got mine at NAPA but it is available online.

I believe it is referred to as marine grade and shrinks at 3 to 1 ratio so can be used over the butt connectors to help keep down corrosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I located heat shrink that has some type of heat sensitive glue that seals to the wire better than normal heat shrink tube. Got mine at NAPA but it is available online.

I believe it is referred to as marine grade and shrinks at 3 to 1 ratio so can be used over the butt connectors to help keep down corrosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dual wall heat shrink, all I use at work and at home on tractor and boat wiring.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the rest of my parts in, on the trailer and tested. :D

Remembered my test box from work this time. So a quick function test again on everything. Cleaned up the wiring, then hooked it to the truck for a quick road test :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk