Vancouver Kubotas at Auction

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
Well, it was sunny on auction day, but it rained the day before so the grounds were pretty wet. First of all, I did not think the tractors were in very good shape. They all looked well worn and a bit tired. Not worth a whole bundle of money. Strangely enough most of them sold to someone in Alberta who was bidding on internet. (hope it wasn't you Vic!) And the prices they went for were much higher than I thought they were worth. That old L180 wasn't worth more than $1500.00 and it sold for well over $2000.00. Some went for over $4000.00 but you have to remember it is difficult to see the actual condition when you're viewing on line. I saw this first hand hereabouts when a fellow bought a truck at an on-line auction, and it was a real junker when it arrived! Anyhow it was an interesting auction, because they just don't conform to any known reality! Junk selling for top dollar, and beautiful iron going for peanuts! Go figure!!:confused:

Attachments

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Great pics! Thank you for taking the time to post them up. Me and Vic have seen the same thing at other auctions too - nearly dead tractors getting bid up. Interesting to watch... I guess folks have a hard time trying to put a value on these things sometimes? That - and - it is an auction so I can see how people might get a little carried away with the excitement and all and run the price up.

Then on top of that folks usually have to pay a buyer's premium, GST and provincial taxes too.

Curbster, did you pick anything up or just there to have a look. I've been known to go down to an auction just to "kick tires". :D

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
Mr. K - I couldn't refuse bidding on several rubber tired backhoes - JD 310's - fairly new 2005, but well houred up, as I really needed a loader/hoe that is big enough to handle tandems and gravel pit operations, but, these units went way too high as far as my pocket book was concerned. I did bid on the L180 as it would go good with my old L185, but once again the bids sky-rocketed outta sight very quickly. The big excavators were going cheap, and a really nice high track D-8 with cab went for a measly $25,000.00! I managed to get a 6000 watt generator - gas - with honda power, and a couple of pumps, both with honda 5.5hp. and 8.0hp. And really lucked out on this: (I may paint it orange to go with the fleet! LOL)

Attachments

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
That D8 would be fun around Vic's shop - complete and total overkill for anything he's got going on around his place, but might come in handy when we need to move a piece of equipment to the scrap pile! *cough* Vic's-rusted-out-Yanmar *cough* *cough*.

I like the idea of the Kubota orange Honda generator! Do it then post pics! :D

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
Come to think of it Vic, you're probably right on the shipload of used iron from Japan, because quite a few of the mini, and midi - excavators were obviously imports as all of the decals inside and out were in Japanese only. No sign of any English stickers in the cabs, and once again they looked pretty tired. Still, everyone of them went for fairly high dollars, but the bidders looked more like back yard do-it-yourselfers than contractors. These contractors stood around shaking their heads like it was a bad dream or something, so they may have recognized the scene for what it was. Also, being the astute observer that I am, I noticed an inordinate amount of rice kernels on the floor of several of these machines. Coincidence? You be the judge of that!:) (Just Kidding!)

Attachments

tyrod

Equipment
digging
Jan 20, 2012
canada
Well that guy your talking about in Nisku has a excavator I was thinking about not after what you said about him I'll stay clear. There is a reason that thing is still in his junk yard, if its too good to be true. I'll take a pass there is way too much to go wrong in an excavator, its like a million different ideas moving around in a million different directions at the same time.