Bx25 hydraulic issues...

a_tack

Jun 2, 2010
Kentucky
We have a Kubota BX25 subcompact tractor outside with the backhoe attachment. A couple of days ago my father-in-law busted a hose on the backhoe and lost alot of hydraulic fluid. This isn't the first time we have busted a hose on the backhoe (first time I did it and shut it off immediately, repaired it where it was sitting, bled line, worked just fine). Well, he decided to drive it around a bunch after he busted the hose, near the bottom of the implement. There is fluid all over the driveway and yard. So, when he finally stoppedd, we went to town and got a hose and replaced it. Toppped off with hydraulic fluid, and cannot get the air out of the front bucket and the backhoe. They wont move at all, not even the stabilizers on the backhoe. We could be doing it wrong, but the last time I broke a hose, after I put the new hose on, I took it loose near the cylinder on the backhoe arm and worked the lever until fluid squirted out of the hose, then I hooked it back up. Well, doing that doesn't even get fluid to drip out of the hoses. I'm afraid hes broken something bigger. Now, the drive system is hydrostatic and the tractor will move forward and backward just fine. The scoop and backhoe just wont do anything. What could be wrong? Im an amature when it comes to hydraulics.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You don't have to take a hyd line loose to bleed air out. Just working the system and the air bleeds itself.

How long have you let it run trying to get everything to work? I have seen times when a hyd system was completely drained it would take 5 to 10 minutes of running for the fluid to get back in the system and things start to work. For example, when I did the 50hr service on my first M9000 the steering didn't work when I started it back up. I had to let it run at low idle for almost 10 minutes and then everything was fine. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
As long as you don't hear any funny sounds or have any leaks I think you will be fine. I hope that's all it is and everything works out for you.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Must have been way down on oil. My bet is, overnight, gravity will prime the pump and it will start working right away, after working the valves back and forth.

a_tack

Jun 2, 2010
Kentucky
It took a full gallon just to get back up to full with no fluid in the implements. How much more fluid should I go get to have to top off once the hoses and cylinders fill?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Make sure all the couplers (3) at the backhoe are properly attached. One hydraulic pump services the hydraulics, steering and charge for the HST. if the steering is working the pump is probably ok.
Ed

a_tack

Jun 2, 2010
Kentucky
Got it! Turns out the hose he busted and replaced was a supply line. He had it on wrong. Everything is working fine now! Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

BridgeMan

Equipment
None yet, but soon to be
Jun 30, 2011
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Father-in-law owes you a brewski! Or ten.

But if he's a keeper, count your blessings. I've had 3 (fathers-in-law), and they were all turds.