Will spraying silicon spray in the intake contaminate the oil?

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I was told by one source to try this to get it started but someone else said it can cause the air filter to suck it in changing the molecular structure of the oil causing other problems. Which is true?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was told by one source to try this to get it started but someone else said it can cause the air filter to suck it in changing the molecular structure of the oil causing other problems. Which is true?
why are you spraying silicone spray into the intake manifold? Are you talking about ether? ether is really bad on the diesel - it explodes early under combustion, and causes strain on the entire system.

Whatever you are spraying - it should not be necessary.....this is a bandaid fix and will hurt worse later!:)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
To get the best help here dont keep starting a new post dealing with the same no start issue as information is not in one place for those providing advice to look back over.

From looking at your earlier posts I am not convinced the glow plugs are working. Also concerned your valves are set properly. If one of the glow plugs has a missing nut securing the power wire, then none of then will work.

Consider buying an infrared temp gun to be able to check that the glow are operating.

Less than $20 at Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...84862911&sr=8-3&keywords=infrared+thermometer

Rather than spray some crazy junk into your engine, remove the air filter and direct a hair dryer into the intake as you crank the engine. The hot air will overcome most glow plug problems.

Dave M7040

Last edited:

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I probably wouldn't spray it on the air filter, catches dust, accelerates need to replace. The propellant is propane, so it might give you a marginal bump on a cold start, (might). Will it contaminate the oil? Doubtful, it'd have to go past the piston rings or a valve stem in a significant quantity which is, well... doubtful unless you're really spraying a lot in. Like he said - check glow plugs if not starting well. They're cheap and not hard to change if confirmed bad.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I was told to spray it onto the air filter or remove the air filter to spray it a few short bursts. He said it doesn't dry the cylinders like ether does.

Here's the link to the product:

http://www.smslabs.com/product/silicon-spray/?gclid=CPD2nOuIz9ECFY-Kswodam8NGw
It sounds as if you are attempting to use silicone spray inplace of ether as a 'starting assist'. It is considered very bad to use ANYTHING sprayed into the intake to assist with starting Kubota engines. SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE can result. (Like chunks blown out of the engine block)

Using just a small amount can leave behind damage within the engine that a mechanic can detect. (warantee voided)

The use of starting spray should be reserved for diesel engines built before 1960s

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I tested all 3 glow plugs and set the voltmeter to ohms. All three glow plugs measured .6. I tested the multimeter resistance at .3ohm. In the manual it says the glow plug resistance is .9 ohm. the battery shows 12v.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I tested all 3 glow plugs and set the voltmeter to ohms. All three glow plugs measured .6. I tested the multimeter resistance at .3ohm. In the manual it says the glow plug resistance is .9 ohm. the battery shows 12v.
next part in this equation....

pull those plugs.....do a compression test.....;):)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
But is the 12v getting from the battery to the glow plugs? Did you try the test I suggested in your other thread yet?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
If you had the power connection removed and the three glow plugs were connected together during the test (so all 3 were tested at the same time) your numbers sound OK. Three plugs with a resistance of 0.9 each, connected in parallel would be an equivalent resistance of 0.3 ohms. Add the meter's lead resistance of 0.3 and the reading of 0.6 sounds good.

Just wondering why you didn't zero the meter.

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
I took the glow plugs out and they all rean 1.3 ohms. Not sure if that's good or bad. Also i thought that if there is a compression issue the engine would crank very fast. The engine cranks slightly slower than normal.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I took the glow plugs out and they all rean 1.3 ohms. Not sure if that's good or bad. Also i thought that if there is a compression issue the engine would crank very fast. The engine cranks slightly slower than normal.
I don't think 1.3 is horrible, but not good. Seems from previous threads say they should be <1.0, or close to 0. You'd have to research that further, as I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Engine cranking slow also looks back to the battery or starter, but there's other issues to rule out also.

To start, a diesel engine needs fuel, compression, and air. Nothing else.

Hang in there - you will get there with a methodical and objective approach.

Trust me, been there by thinking "this Fu@%er will either run or be junk.." Usually I made junk with that approach....

Good luck and best wishes!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Also i thought that if there is a compression issue the engine would crank very fast. The engine cranks slightly slower than normal.
No, not necessarily.
Take a quick video of it cranking and either post it on you tube and put a link to it here or I can tell you how to send me a copy of the video and We or I can tell you if it's cranking way to slow to start.
If it is dragging, then you could have a bad starter and no amount of wishing it will start will happen without replacing the starter regardless of what else is going on.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
i thought that if there is a compression issue the engine would crank very fast. The engine cranks slightly slower than normal.
My thought with fast starter cranking has been associated more with timing chain/belt than bad cylinder compression. Since valves aren't moving, makes no compression, and just spins.

With zero valve-clearance engines, can be a big mess......

Since yours is cranking slow, my first thought is not timing chain. Does not rule out low cylinder compression however.

I would go back to the starter and battery. Wire connections, especially ground. As Hokie would say - Clean, bright and tight.

Once those are ruled out - have the battery load tested. If good, you're looking at a new starter.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"I would go back to the starter and battery. Wire connections, especially ground. As Hokie would say - Clean, bright and tight.

Once those are ruled out - have the battery load tested. If good, you're looking at a new starter."

perfectly said - in order ....step by step!;):)

I'm hoping it is the battery - it aint as perky as it use to be !;):)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
perfectly said - in order ....step by step!;):)
And my wife tells me I'm not very smart...she doesn't use those words.......well, a lot of other things, too...35 years.....:p:p

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I'm not trying to be smart or anything here, and I don't want to overstate the obvious. But this is the same tractor that half a dozen members tried repeatedly to explain how to set the valve lash properly on and there's no way for us to know if that was really done properly (if they aren't right, it aint gonna start).
As hard as he was trying it was really obvious that this sort of thing maybe wasn't something he understood real well. The current discussions about the glow plugs, starter and injector pump priming follow along that same line and apparent mechanical skill level.
I'm going to go back to the same advice I gave during the valve lash discussion. Find someone who understands diesel engines and at least have them look over your shoulder and explain these things to you as you go along. That way you can learn how to do it the right way. As it is, between the valves, glow plugs, injectors, starter and injector pump there are too many things that could be wrong for folks here to ever hope to help diagnose it in a reasonable fashion.

I'm curious...
Did it run before you took it apart?

If so then you:
1. Probably need to have someone help you confirm the valve lash settings.
2. Make sure everything is assembled correctly.
3. Make sure the pump is primed correctly.
4. Make sure the lines to the injectors are bled.
5. Check the glow plug system (although if you're working in a heated garage it should at least try to start or at least smoke some probably even
without the glow plugs).
Starter? it doesn't have to crank all that fast to start or at least try.

Besides that...

Was the head disassembled while off (valves taken out)? If it was then you needed to have the valves and seats resurfaced before reassembly. If you did take them out and didn't have them resurfaced then they're not going to seal and it's not going to start.
Was it a head gasket issue that prompted the initial disassembly?
If so did you have the head surface checked for cracks, straightness and flatness while off?
If not then the head gasket may not seal properly and it may not start.
Hopefully, you didn't bend any valves when trying to figure out how they should be set.
See, we're chasing the wind here there are soooo many possible issues that this is almost impossible.

You need someone there to walk you through it all.
That's not a knock, I'm sure you CAN learn how to do it. But some things some people need instruction and hands on help with to learn right. 4 cycle diesel engine operation, assembly and tuning may be those things for you.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I believe it was originally a head gasket, if there is any valve clearance at all, it should run. Glow plug operation and a good strong battery are critical for startup.my 2 cylinder needs a good battery for a cold start so a larger engine even moreso.
Providing a video for Mr Wolfman will help you with your problem.
Perhaps there is a video in regards to bleeding injectors,would direct you to be certain you are getting proper fuel delivery.
Did you check fuel shutoff for proper operation? As well as (if it has) compression release to make sure its properly adjusted.

Last edited:

Lzybmbjj30

Equipment
G1900
Aug 17, 2016
louisville
Ok so I checked all 3 glow plugs and they do light up after about 7 seconds when hooked to a battery so they are good. I found something interesting though. The wire that goes to the glow plugs, when I have the glow plug out and attached to that and I turn the key to get the glow plug light to go on none of the glow plugs glow. It makes me think that power isn't getting to the glow plugs. Any thoughts?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It makes me think that power isn't getting to the glow plugs. Any thoughts?
Finally! I've asked about that in both threads now.

The power goes through the glow indicator on the dash. If the glow indicator is burnt out or disconnected then power doesn't make it to the glow plugs. Set your meter to volts, turn the key to the glow position and meter the voltage between a good ground point (eg: the - battery terminal) and the indicator connections. It should have full battery voltage at one terminal and 9 or 10 volts at the other.