Advice on GR2120 hydro

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Some of you helped with my recent query concerning what to mow with after selling my G1900S. I have a BX and most seemed to think I'd be happy with that as a primary mower. Only mow a one acre yard and some community property in our subdivision.

Since my BX has a 48" deck and I have several ditches and treelines where I need a deck that sticks out from the mower I've had my eye out for a 60" BX deck. No luck so far. By the way, I just posted that I'm looking to buy one in the "Buy and Sell" board on this website,

In the meantime I've run across a GR2120 that has 500 hours and has had the hydro/transmission rebuilt. I know that earlier versions of the GR series had hydro problems, but thought they were corrected before the 2120 was produced. ?? The work was done by a reputable local dealer.

Would you be scared of a machine that had a rebuilt hydro/transmission?

I'd rather find a 60" deck and give that a try, but the GR does seem like a pretty good deal.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What are you looking to spend on the deck? A 95% perfect one?
What is the 2120 looking to cost?

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
I had a 2120, and although the Mower never gave me a problem in the 120 hours i had it before trading it, I would not buy another.
The Deck was getting quite noisy and figure it was the bearings. Even with regularly greasing....
I cant put a finger on it, but always had the feeling that if i keep it any longer, I'll be stuck with fixing something major, engine excluded, and was glad it's gone.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I would avoid the GR series. Problematic transmissions even after they're "fixed" (rebuilt with updated parts). And real expensive to fix if you have to pay someone to do it. If it were me (and it obviously isn't), I'd have kept the G1900. I do a lot of trading and whatnot, and I had a G2160, which I sold and bought a GR2100, which I then traded for a 20 year old G1900.....which I still have and have no plan on selling/trading. Keep the BX if you can, and pick up a deck for it if that's what you need. 60" BX decks are still available as far as I'm aware. Actually while on that subject, sometimes the dealers will have a leftover on the lot. Might be worth a call or even a visit to the local dealers.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Thanks, Lugbolt. I know what you mean about the G1900. The one I sold was really a nice machine and I might regret letting it go.

I appreciate the advice on the GR series. I think I'm leaning toward just mowing with the BX, at least for a season, and seeing how it does. I don't "have" to get a 60" deck, but the 48" deck doesn't stick out far from the machine, especially with 2" spacers on rear wheels.