R4 vs turf with chains?? Loaded?

bunnyboots

Equipment
B2620, snowblower, FEL, back blade
Jan 18, 2017
Anchorage,AK
Ok, I need some advice. I have a B2620 with studded R4 tires. Running a snowblower and a back blade. Great setup most of the time but have an incline on the driveway. With the blower in float, cannot get up the driveway, wheels spin. Raise the blower, most times will climb the driveway so have to drive up that way and blow downhill. Have chains for rear but they tear up the driveway when they spin and the front end still slides around like it needs weight up front. My neighbor has a steeper driveway and a JD 4-wheel lawn tractor, snowblower, turf tires and chains on the rear, motors right up his.

So, the question is, what is the best setup of tires and chains for this problem? I can't get the Youtube video out of my head about how Kubota doesn't have a good center of weight and gravity like the Deere tractor (Deere drives around in the deep snow while the Kubota spins away). Help! I love this tractor but this is frustrating.

kupitz

Equipment
BX2660 with LA243 FEL and Front mount BX2750 snowblower/2763A heated Curtis cab.
Mar 28, 2016
New Providence, PA
I had a B7100 with front blower for 12 years and tried turf first and went to Ag, no chains in either case. I have a very steep driveway as well. The filled Ag tires outperformed the turfs by a pretty good margin. Now I have a BX2660 with filled turfs and run the Terraturf rubber strap chains on them. I have only used it twice this year for blowing, we're getting missed here in SE PA this year, not complaining. This seems to be the best combination so far. I barely slipped a tire both times blowing whereas before I would have spun all 4 climibing the hill. I was even able to blow the drive going uphill. Bear in mind, both of my snows were 2" so haven't hit the deep stuff yet but I think this is the ticket....so far.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Fill the rears. I have an 850 lb BH as my rear ballast and my front snowblower goes in float and I go up a steep incline no problem. I haven't had to put my chains on yet. I do lose steering capability on one spot where the uphill curves and I have to raise the blower to turn my wheels in the right direction to get it going again and then I put it back float.

I had r4's last year and had no issues with traction going up the hill. I had an opportunity to change over to turfs at no cost so I did so at the recommendation of others saying they were better in the snow, not to mention my lawn.

Good luck

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
My experience running R4s in snow on a 35hp case is that they suck. I know it's kinda apples to oranges, but my little B5100D with turfs and four wheel chains will snow blow or plow up and down my driveway which has a pretty steep section of about 120ft. Yes, sometimes it spins a little and I usually just lock the diff before starting the hill, but it does it without slowing down and while maintaining steering control. Tires are not loaded, although I'd like them to be.