I have had ENOUGH

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Last March I bought a brand new L2501. At 23 hours it started running poorly when asked for power. For example, when going up a small hill in high range and 2000 RPM, it would start to miss, sputter, smoke and lose power. I would have to lower the RPM's to 1500, and place in low range to make the hill. This was in August, so jelling was not a factor, and my fuel was fresh.

I battled this issue all of our long Winter, by not being able to run at full throttle while blowing snow. Even traveling to some clients homes along side the road, any little elevation would cause the spitting, missing and power loss. I returned it to the dealer, who came out with a host of "It could be this or that" excuses. They said there were 2 o-rings in the fuel filter, and there should only be one. I never touched the fuel filter, so it came from the factory that way. The problem persisted. Brought it back last week to the dealer for the same issue again. Once again, the same run around with excuses, and no pin-pointing of the cause. My personal opinion is that of a lift pump issue or a failed or failing injector.

This morning I get on the tractor to move some bricks around. Jump in the seat, hit the key and.....nothing. I mean nothing. No glow plugs, no start, no dash indicators or gauges moving...nothing. Checked the 10 fuses in the little fuse box on the left hand side of the steering column. All good. Checked the two 40A and one 30A main fuses under the steering column...all good. Checked all of the safety switches, all appear good. Hooked the Booster pack to the battery...Still nothing.

I AM DONE WITH THIS P.O.S.

Went to the dealer and told them to come get the tractor, and I don't want to see the P.O.S. in my driveway again. I am certainly hoping that the 2018 L3901 I traded this headache in for, will restore my faith in Kubota. I am so disappointed, and frustrated with the 2501, that if the 3901 doesn't fare any
better, I will be "Anti-Kubota" on a level unrivalled by most people. :mad:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I hope you have a good run with the 3901, might be worth noting where you traded, you never know, someone here who's a bit mechanically inclined may want to take a punt on it if they can get a decent price to get it out of the dealers yard!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm going through the same thing with my new Polaris, so I feel your pain.

I got an 05 that has been plowing and working hard and has had zero issues. And my 09 is good. But the new one is such a poorly constructed piece of crap it's unbelievable.

Luckily my Kubota is showing the same bulletproof-ness as my 05 Polaris.

Hope your new one treats you better.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with the 2501 but I'm sure you'll find the 3901 to be a good tractor.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It is sad that your dealer is not much of a dealer, the trouble shoot should be pretty straightforward, but some stealers dont or wont pay someone with enough training to figure out the problem. Was that Woodstock?

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree with Skeets. It sounds like it could be complex, or simple- it could be as common as algae in the fuel, clogging a strainer and starving the pump. The real issue is the dealer, not taking an immediate and effective interest in your problems. If that is the case, another tractor may not be any better of an experience. You may want to consider switching dealers, if possible.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I agree with Skeets. It sounds like it could be complex, or simple- it could be as common as algae in the fuel, clogging a strainer and starving the pump.
My first guess would be airflow, rather than fuel. Clogged intake or exhaust. Sounds like its been OK at low speed until this latest electrical problem.

The real issue is the dealer, not taking an immediate and effective interest in your problems. If that is the case, another tractor may not be any better of an experience. You may want to consider switching dealers, if possible.
+1

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^^ im with the guys above...

you need a different dealer even if the new 3901 goes perfectly.

get the bad taste out of your mouth & have a fresh start.

PS: if you were doing commercial type work with the 2501? you will be much happier with the 3901. run it HARD.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys. One thing with me, is when I buy something....anything, that doesnt operate as it should, I get rid of it post haste. I am going to give Kubota another chance. The salesmen at the dealership are amazed that I have had these issues, as they have never seen these issues before (so they say)..I know a guy a few miles up the road here who has had major issues with his 2501 too.(different dealer). I dont do "Commercial Work" so to speak, just help out a few Widows and elderly people with their snow removal. The tractor only has 114 hours on it, and I am reluctant to say the dealers name as I dont wish any bad publicity for them. I think they actually felt bad that I was having issues because they treated me very well on the trade in. So, hopefully I will fare better with the 3901. Only problem I can see happening, is that I am not hard on my equipment in any sense of the word. I have read many posts about DPF and Kubota, and that they have to be run hard. This is so against my nature. I usually putt around at 1500 rpm all the time, so running at much higher RPM's will be a little difficult for me to get used to. Anyway, I dont want to mention any names on here or which dealer it's at....because I dont hate anyone enough to wish this mechanical abortion on them. "Christine" (like the Steven King movie) will be someone elses problem now. Crappy thing to say, but it is more the dealers problem now.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Thanks for the replies guys. One thing with me, is when I buy something....anything, that doesnt operate as it should, I get rid of it post haste. I am going to give Kubota another chance. The salesmen at the dealership are amazed that I have had these issues, as they have never seen these issues before (so they say)..I know a guy a few miles up the road here who has had major issues with his 2501 too.(different dealer). I dont do "Commercial Work" so to speak, just help out a few Widows and elderly people with their snow removal. The tractor only has 114 hours on it, and I am reluctant to say the dealers name as I dont wish any bad publicity for them. I think they actually felt bad that I was having issues because they treated me very well on the trade in. So, hopefully I will fare better with the 3901. Only problem I can see happening, is that I am not hard on my equipment in any sense of the word. I have read many posts about DPF and Kubota, and that they have to be run hard. This is so against my nature. I usually putt around at 1500 rpm all the time, so running at much higher RPM's will be a little difficult for me to get used to. Anyway, I dont want to mention any names on here or which dealer it's at....because I dont hate anyone enough to wish this mechanical abortion on them. "Christine" (like the Steven King movie) will be someone elses problem now. Crappy thing to say, but it is more the dealers problem now.

I was right there with you, I was throwin $H!T pissed when I first got the BX25. Since then it has been nothing but Anvil reliability ( for a weaker tractor)
And like you, I have no patients for Teething problems.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Your not gonna hurt that tractor by running it at 2000 or 2200 rpm actually just the opposite. It's not your first born your holding there it's a tractor, their meant to be worked. The DPF is no problem at all, do a search for sheep farmers post and you can learn a lot. When mine starts the regen I just keep right on working and have never had a problem in 4 years. Good luck with your new tractor I'm sure it will treat you well.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Your not gonna hurt that tractor by running it at 2000 or 2200 rpm actually just the opposite. It's not your first born your holding there it's a tractor, their meant to be worked. The DPF is no problem at all, do a search for sheep farmers post and you can learn a lot. When mine starts the regen I just keep right on working and have never had a problem in 4 years. Good luck with your new tractor I'm sure it will treat you well.

^^^^^^^this.

run it where its supposed to be!! they know exactly where that peak RPM is for any type of work & your PTO to have the proper speed.

run it there & dont worry about it. pretty sure its 2600-2700 on that tractor.

as everybody is telling you & i had to learn it too.... if you dont want to be dealing with DPF & regen issues? run it at that RPM!!

puttering around is BAD for these set ups!

soon as my tractor warms up its over 2k & it never comes below it unless its gonna get parked... If im doing any work (with or without the PTO) its at 2600.

had my first regen last week== piece of cake & no problem!

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I believe you when you say you had some issues with your 2501. 2501's seem to be as solid as they get as I don't remember reading about somebody having an issue with one. Now you say, not only you but so,embody down the road has a lemon 2501. Instead of demanding the dealer replace your 2501 you demand a tractor 2 sizes up. Makes me think you have buyers remorse and wanted a tractor with more hp. Something doesn't sound right to me.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I believe you when you say you had some issues with your 2501. 2501's seem to be as solid as they get as I don't remember reading about somebody having an issue with one. Now you say, not only you but so,embody down the road has a lemon 2501. Instead of demanding the dealer replace your 2501 you demand a tractor 2 sizes up. Makes me think you have buyers remorse and wanted a tractor with more hp. Something doesn't sound right to me.
I remember reading about other people having problems with the 2501's. Maybe your right however I've been in his shoes and just had enough. I for sure wouldn't be guessing what's going through another persons mind.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29679&highlight=2501

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Brazos. The tractor had adequate power when it ran right, the problem is that....it never ran right very often. I loved the tractor for it's size and weight, and the ability to do heavier work. I had put a lot of money in lighting, warning beacon, wiring things up right with sealed j-boxes, waterproof switches and wire loom on everything. I waxed and washed that tractor regularly, and actually over maintained it. It was my baby. The buyers remorse comes from a piece of equipment that doesn't operate as designed or intended. Being frustrated and discouraged with a major purchase like that is not something I am willing to tolerate, and for some reason, the dealer wasn't serious in looking for the problem.

I have had equipment of all types, was a heavy equipment operator in the Military for 7 years, and worked on farms all my life. This stuff isn't new to me. I ALSO understand that it is a piece of equipment and can fail, and also that you will hit a bad one in any bunch regardless of make or model. It's just a fact of life. I am not going to bash or be condescending to Kubota. They have been in business a long time, and they are a well respected manufacturer of all types of equipment. I just got a bad one, and I accept that fact. Move on to another piece of equipment and give them another shot. The 3901 was the only mid size tractor they had on hand (no 2501's on the lot), and the only other options were MX50 and up. Thats why I took the 3901, not because of buyers remorse, or that I felt like I made a mistake buying the 2501. The 2501 is a great tractor....mine just had a bad attitude.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Good luck with your 3901. I debated long and hard between 2501 and 3901. My wife told me to get the 39..."yes dear" it has been good but had a rear main seal go out at 108 hrs. The dealer fixed it quickly under warranty. My neighbor went 2501 and likes his but doesn't have as much power when pushing snow. In mid range at 2200 rpm his engine pulls down a good bit going up the hill between our farms. Mine does not. I can push lots of snow and run out of traction before the engine pulls down. There is a definite power differnce between the two. I set mine between 2000 -2400 and control speed with the hst. I hope you have a great time with your 3901

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
UPDATE ON THE NEW 3901...Well, 28 hours so far and one flawless regen. Besides the little difference in smell, it was un-eventful. I guess I am running at proper RPM because it didn't prompt me to increase RPM when the regen was happening. Only issue to date, was at 2 hours I noticed oil leaking from the front of the tractor.Was coming from one of the coolers in front of the radiator, not certain which one. Dealer sent a tech out and tightened up the clamps, and so far so good.

Excellent power, smooth and quiet running. I love my new 3901. I have been in a big Home Remodel, and that includes Landscaping. So far, spread out 80 yards of bank run and 90 yards of Top Soil. 40 yards of crushed Shale on the driveway, and removed 10 concrete footings. Excellent fuel economy on this tractor as well, even with running it at higher RPM's. Going to be building the flower beds/boxes for my Wife next. :D . All smiles with my new tractor so far.