Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Off Topic

Off Topic Got something to share but it's not strictly related to your favorite orange tractor? Post it here!

Old 04-23-2018   #1
skeets
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX 2360
Default SHTF question

I was jawin with a fella I know and somehow this morning he got off on something he read about big brother and yadayadayada,, so anyways he starts telling me about this gun and that and how he had all of them ready to take to his,,,,UNDISCLOSED LOCATION, ,,,, yeah a real wack job on somethings. And coming home I started thinking about the "WHAT IF", is there any that I would grab over any others. SO I started thinking about which 3.
I figured the 9 or 45 ammo would be fairly easy to find.
Then a shotgun 12ga,,that speaks for itself. Problem is which one, an 18 1/2 bbl pump I think
Now here is where I stumble on my thoughts. A 22 rifle yeah thats good, or maybe better, the 30.06 or the SKS 7.62x39, again ammo should be easy to find.
I know there are lots of guy that have hard core ides about this, but lets just say the average Joe that has a couple, which one would you take and why?
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2018   #2
85Hokie

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX-25D Filled Rears,Bro Tek Spacers,Piranha Tooth Bar-90'&'92 B7100HST
Default Re: SHTF question

well skeets .....
that a hellva question!

Now ....the real answer lies in WHAT you are shooting !

If the "what if" comes along......the gun that is easiest to handle and has the most ammo to carry......gonna be hard to carry 500 rounds of 45 acp.....but 500 rounds of 22 LR is possible.

Now if you are looking to have food.....the 22 might win out, if large game is needing to be "slowed down" then the 22 will do it, but gonna need a lot more ammo!

As for shotgun.....shorter, easy to carry, semi auto with plug removed - so 5 shots.....unless you got a street sweeper there too!!!

3 ammo's to carry too.......shells / rounds.....all that crap would weigh you down!!! The "jacket" that one might wear to carry all of this might be more important than whats in the pockets!!!!

hope we never see a day where one has to pick.....
85Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018   #3
Stmar
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2650HSDC

My 3 would be .223/556, 9MM and 22/20 over under. Main reason is ammo availability and versatility, figure I can take down most anything with that combo. The over under is a great small game and bird weapon and is my favorite around the place.
Stmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018   #4
CaveCreekRay

Master Tech

Equipment: L3800 HST, KingKutter rototiller, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake

I agree with the suggested weapons. 22LR is small and its easy to carry 3000 rounds in your car. A 12 ga. bird gun will put food on the table and provide limited longer range defense using 00 or slugs. A 556/.223 will deter looters, sending them elsewhere. A hunting rifle doubles as a "reach out and touch" tool.

But, that said, the whole idea of bugging out never made sense to me, unless you lived in a large metro area. In this situation, having a pre-stocked location is a must but the travel to that location is highly perilous. Most will never make it. If you don't like where you live, move. For bugging out to work, you have to beat the herd. Will you?

Think about it: You are on a cruise ship staring down an approaching hurricane. Are you really going to get in a tiny lifeboat and try to make it with all you can carry to an island 30 miles away, leaving loads of important stuff behind???

Old 04-23-2018   #5
Ramos
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 1870-1, LA203A, RCK54

Like CCR, I would hunker down (given a choice), rather than bug-out. This decision is based on our location and the available resources.

My minimum list of small arms would be four. One each: a semi auto 9mm handgun, a shotgun, a CF rifle and a RF rifle.

Now, if you are on the fly, it's not all that practical carry multiple long guns and the respective ammo. So, you are down to one long and a handgun or two.
Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018   #6
PHPaul
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade

.22LR, 5.56 for a centerfire rifle, 12ga pump. If there's room left over for a handgun, 9mm.

All commonly available, enough variety to provide defense, small game and large-ish (deer) game.

Also agree with the "shelter in place" scenario, but then the biggest city in the state is only about 67K people. Nearest population center big enough to call a city is 65 miles away and tops out at 33K.

Then there's the fact that I'm pushing 70. Not at all sure I WANT to survive in a post-apocalyptic situation.
PHPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018   #7
CaveCreekRay

Master Tech

Equipment: L3800 HST, KingKutter rototiller, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake

PHPAUL,

Us old folks will be the "keepers of knowledge."

Old 04-23-2018   #8
PHPaul
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreekRay View Post
PHPAUL,

Us old folks will be the "keepers of knowledge."

Sort of a wrinkled internet...

All we got to do is figure out how to trade knowledge for beans!
PHPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018   #9
skeets
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX 2360

Interesting answers, as I no longer have any firearms. shelter in place seems to be the best idea
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018   #10
sheepfarmer

Equipment: L3560, John Deere Gator, Ingersoll mower, Ford 8N tractor that is a little young

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets View Post
Interesting answers, as I no longer have any firearms. shelter in place seems to be the best idea
What????? ????