Chains in the woods -- yes or no?

Georgec

Equipment
BX2370
Dec 12, 2016
Brattleboro
Snowblower is off, loader is on. Going after some wood I cut down. Ground is soft, but not mucky.

Is there any potential problem leaving my snow chains on for this operation?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
For the record have never used chains here in NC but I find your question interesting.

Many here should chime in to offer advice as I know from reading many posts many members use them.

My question would be when you remove your chains each year do you notice wear to the tires? If not then the ground you are traveling on is no worse than the hard packed snow or ice, right?

I'll follow to see what others say.

I assume before removing them you will spray off with garden hose then remove and store so they will be ready for next install.

Jay

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Never thought about chains in the woods, never had an issue. Simply avoid woods work in spring, not into cleaning mud, despite NOT being stuck. Why make tracks? Ruts? Cover wood w/ Mud? To what end? Winter, summer, fall should provide ample opportunity to perform woodlot chores.

Wranglerstar wraps all of his shoes in chains, appears like overkill. Outdoors with the Morgan's, in woods constantly, no chains. (you tube folks)

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I leave my chains on till the ground has dried in the woods and avoid any tractor work during mud season [which is still in progress in my neck here].

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Sometimes the work just doesn't wait for better weather. I've had my tractor buried in the mud twice this spring already. The only way I got out was by using the loader to lever it out. Buried a utility trailer in the mud too. I've never used chains on a tractor that big, but I always found them helpful on garden tractors on soft of greasy ground.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
A lot of the forestry equipment I’ve seen run chains through the woods may tear up exposed roots but it beats getting stuck

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I suppose there is a possibility that the chains could lasso a loose stick and whack you with it but the chances of that are slim.
How's your luck been lately?

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion
This is strictly from a farm tractor perspective, my Dad said chains helped him get stuck better. Only useful on snow and ice. Tifwiw. Pat

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes.

Better to have them when you don't need them, than visa versa.....

I carry a jack knife everyday under the same principle....

But if the woods are muddy, stay away.

Better for the tractor, and DEFINITELY better for the woods!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I see a lot of log skidders with chains. Must be good for working in the woods if the loggers use them.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
We tried chains in the woods on our old Farmall H and took them off after the first (or second) branch that got caught in them whacked us in the back.

My guess as to why they use them on logging forwarders is to save the tires from the sharp things they run over. Any operators out there that can enlighten us?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I used to live on a dairy farm in Wisconsin when I was growing up. We had chains on one of our tractors until the ground started to get dry in about May every year. We never got stuck even when towing a trailer.