BX1860 Rear Snowblower, Woodmaxx???

Horsemanlife

Equipment
BX1860
Apr 19, 2018
East Bethel, MN, USA
Hello,
I have used this sight many times to reference reviews etc. So I decided to register and ask my questions directly.

I am researching getting a snowblower for my BX1860. The challenges are power and cost. For a front mount of decent quality I am looking at $3600 (BX5455hd). For rear mount I have many options and the only concern is in the power to run it.

I like the thought of a front blower but older models have quality issues with thin metal, the HD model looks to be a great option but the cost is more then I would like to invest.

So, after researching rear blower options, I have found the Woodmaxx SB48 and SB60 as a good option. They have strong reviews and look to be built very strong. So the issue is if I will be able to get enough out of the blower for what I need. The SB48 looks to be enough, but if I could get away with it, the SB60 is a better long term option. If I sell my current tractor and upgrade to something larger, the 60 inch would give me better coverage. I do also need to consider that the wheelbase of my tractor is around 52 inches. So a 48 is a touch small.

Would I be happy with only a 48" rear blower? Even if I upgrade to a larger tractor?

Do I have enough power for a 60"

Note, I am a young guy and don't mind sitting sideways on my tractor to run a rear blower. When the kids grow up, maybe I can justify spending more for a front mount. But for now, I need to save money.

Let me know your thoughts. Does anyone have a BX1860 to move snow? Ever had issues with enough power?

I saw a really good youtube video of the BX1860 and rear 50"ish blower, killing it. I just want to do the same.

Thanks for your help!

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Horsemanlife. You came to the right place to get answers.

Sorry, but I can't help you since we do not need snowblower down here.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I had a B2320HSD and a 50" blower. Worked good at 17 HP at the PTO. But I would not have gone bigger.

Yours is 13.7 HP at the PTO. That seem real light for 60". I would not do that size.

Kubota recommends a 51" for the rear and 50" for the front on a BX1880 which has the same PTO HP as yours. I would stick with their recommendation or smaller if you have really wet snow.... especially on a low HP tractor.

Watch out for the youtube videos showing snow flying. If it was real cold and fresh light fluffy snow a few inches deep, then it is no problem. However, anything outside that ideal, and it will start bogging down and you may clog up the chute. I did not have a problem at 50", but I had 24% more HP than you.

Edit: I now see you are from MN... so wet slushy snow is probably not your norm. So I would go with what Kubota recommends.

Last edited:

Horsemanlife

Equipment
BX1860
Apr 19, 2018
East Bethel, MN, USA
You are correct. From the video, it looks light but is still almost 24 inches of snow.

Type: bx1860 rear snowblower

I’m YouTube and it’s like the first video.

I appreciate your input.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello,
I have used this sight many times to reference reviews etc. So I decided to register and ask my questions directly.

I am researching getting a snowblower for my BX1860. The challenges are power and cost. For a front mount of decent quality I am looking at $3600 (BX5455hd). For rear mount I have many options and the only concern is in the power to run it.

I like the thought of a front blower but older models have quality issues with thin metal, the HD model looks to be a great option but the cost is more then I would like to invest.

So, after researching rear blower options, I have found the Woodmaxx SB48 and SB60 as a good option. They have strong reviews and look to be built very strong. So the issue is if I will be able to get enough out of the blower for what I need. The SB48 looks to be enough, but if I could get away with it, the SB60 is a better long term option. If I sell my current tractor and upgrade to something larger, the 60 inch would give me better coverage. I do also need to consider that the wheelbase of my tractor is around 52 inches. So a 48 is a touch small.

Would I be happy with only a 48" rear blower? Even if I upgrade to a larger tractor?

Do I have enough power for a 60"

Note, I am a young guy and don't mind sitting sideways on my tractor to run a rear blower. When the kids grow up, maybe I can justify spending more for a front mount. But for now, I need to save money.

Let me know your thoughts. Does anyone have a BX1860 to move snow? Ever had issues with enough power?

I saw a really good youtube video of the BX1860 and rear 50"ish blower, killing it. I just want to do the same.

Thanks for your help!
I looked up the spec`s of your BX1860 and compared them to a B7100.

Both have 13 pto horsepower.

Best friend has had a Kubota B7100 since new in later 10970`s I think and has used a 48`Kubota branded McKee made snow blower.

The performance of the tractor and blower is excellent. HST is the answer so you can match ground speed to load on blower.

Dave

Horsemanlife

Equipment
BX1860
Apr 19, 2018
East Bethel, MN, USA
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like that blower has been put to good use.

Just curious, the specs for my tractor say the wheelbase is 52.9 inches.

Will this be a problem with the 48 inch blower?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012

You need to be cautious about the meaning of terms.

The term wheel base refers to the distance between the front and rear axles.

Track width would be the term to describe your area of concern. i.e. is the tractor wider than the blower.

A small difference in width usually does not make any difference. Others have bolted on simple wings to artificially widen their blower.

There are pictures and stories on this forum of owners making these wings.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34980&highlight=wing

Dave

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan

48" probably would not hurt you to much except maybe in deep snow. But if it was me, I would want the 52" to cove my tracks better. As Dave said... you can always slow down to match your speed to the load with an HST.

Again, Kubota spec's out a 52" for a rear PTO blower on your size tractor and HP. However, it would not hurt to ask your local dealer (they hear all the pissing and moaning of customers relitive to local conditions, and may have some relivant insite for your area of what does and does not work).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Horsemanlife

Equipment
BX1860
Apr 19, 2018
East Bethel, MN, USA
I went out last night and measured the width between rear tires. It***8217;s under 48 inches. Not much under, it was around 46. So I don***8217;t think it will be an issue. If it is, I can always follow your advice and make some wings.

Thanks for setting me straight on wheelbase vs wheel width. After I read that, I felt a bit dumb. Should have known better.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I went out last night and measured the width between rear tires. It***8217;s under 48 inches. Not much under, it was around 46. So I don***8217;t think it will be an issue. If it is, I can always follow your advice and make some wings.

Thanks for setting me straight on wheelbase vs wheel width. After I read that, I felt a bit dumb. Should have known better.
We all learn here, me included.

Stay away from the wings if not needed. Just something to catch a tree or the side of your car with.

Dave

MNMike

Feb 18, 2018
MN
I have a BX1860 and run a 50" blower on the back. I've only had it for the last few months, but we've gotten a lot of snow in that time. I moved about 14 inches of heavy wet snow last week and it didn't have any issues at all, barely even knew it was there. Even when I went through the enormous pile the plow left it didn't have any issues. The engine seemed to appreciate having something to do.

I imagine you could probably go up to 60", if it was my only option I'd do it. That said, with a 48" you could probably put some wings on it to get a few more inches of width.

Horsemanlife

Equipment
BX1860
Apr 19, 2018
East Bethel, MN, USA
Great input. What brand blower do you have?

The woodmax blowers have 55lb fans. So it takes some torque to spin them. How big of s your fan and augers?

Do you have pics?

MNMike

Feb 18, 2018
MN
Horsemanlife, I'm in Fairhaven - a small town about 20 miles south of St. Cloud.

I have a MK Martin Meteor snowblower. I'll have to look up the specs on it, it's older and came with my used BX1860.

Horsemanlife

Equipment
BX1860
Apr 19, 2018
East Bethel, MN, USA
I just looked up your blower. It seems to be not as heavy as the Woodmaxx. How do you like it? Is it good quality?

The videos show the 5 blade fan really throwing some serious snow.

MNMike

Feb 18, 2018
MN
I don't know the weight of the fan and auger, it wasn't listed in the manual, the newer model of the MK Martin has a 5 blade fan, mine has an older 4 blade. It also has only a single auger.

The manual that I got with it indicates a purchase date of 2002 and it's still in pretty good shape, it also apparently is a 51", not 50". It needs spring maintenance done right now (power wash, touch-up paint, grease and oil) so it looks kinda ugly, but it does the job well.

I just got it in February, and only used it 3 or 4 times, but when I used it I really liked it. I need to do some work to level high spots in my driveway because it picks up quite a bit of gravel, but it was easily throwing snow 20-30 feet off the driveway. You're right, it's not super heavy duty, but it's more than adequate to the task. I probably have 120 feet of driveway and a turn-around to clear, so I don't have a lot, but I can clear the narrower part of the driveway in about 3 passes without a problem. The larger part of the driveway is one parking spot wider than a 3 car garage. All told, what was taking me 2-3 hours with a walk-behind blower took less than half an hour on the tractor. I was a little disappointed that I didn't have more to do because it was kind of fun.

Last edited: