B series 2620 running rough

Aaron H

Apr 2, 2018
canada
Hey guys so after about 15 mins my tractor bogs right down and pretty much shuts off, I happened to have noticed no diesel in the filter at the time of the machine bogging down but after the tractor dies it fills back up and I can usually start back up and go. How ever now when I try to restart the tractor it barely turns over and it starts to tick as if the battery is dead. My multi meter shows 12.8 volts on the battery and there is a green indicating light saying the battery is ok. I had some advice to play around with the fuel lines but it is still fairly cold at night and I would rather wait until it warms up. I do have a brand new filter installed. Any thoughts??? Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hey guys so after about 15 mins my tractor bogs right down and pretty much shuts off, I happened to have noticed no diesel in the filter at the time of the machine bogging down but after the tractor dies it fills back up and I can usually start back up and go. How ever now when I try to restart the tractor it barely turns over and it starts to tick as if the battery is dead. My multi meter shows 12.8 volts on the battery and there is a green indicating light saying the battery is ok. I had some advice to play around with the fuel lines but it is still fairly cold at night and I would rather wait until it warms up. I do have a brand new filter installed. Any thoughts??? Thanks

Could you please post some photos of your overall tractor, your battery and its cables and the places where the battery cable connect to the starter and frame or engine block.

Did this problem start before the new filter?

Fuel level in tank when this condition develops. When did you buy this current fuel in the tank? Middle of winter or last fall?

Measure battery voltage when cranking not at rest.

Green eye is misleading under some failure modes.

Dave

Aaron H

Apr 2, 2018
canada
Ok so should I simply throw my multi meter on there when Im turning it over? What should expect to see? What do I not want to see?

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
You can just start by checking your battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight. If you have a bad cell in the battery, your meter will show low voltage. Of course I wouldn't think your battery problem has anything to do with your fuel problem. For that I would check the line between the filter and the tank for a clog or maybe a bad hose that is allowing air in. Did the problem show up after the filter change or is that why you changed the filter? Did you bleed the system after the filter change?

Last edited:

Aaron H

Apr 2, 2018
canada
Hey there ya the reason why I changed the filter was because of tge way the tractor was running. And all I did was clamped the hose from the tank, changed the filter and put the fuel line back on. I guess what I will start with is cleaning the lines and maybe start all over. Is there any way to tell if it is clogged up inside the tank?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hey there ya the reason why I changed the filter was because of tge way the tractor was running. And all I did was clamped the hose from the tank, changed the filter and put the fuel line back on. I guess what I will start with is cleaning the lines and maybe start all over. Is there any way to tell if it is clogged up inside the tank?
You are a creative guy, rig up a temporary fuel supply to directly feed the injection pump.

Put the temp supply up on the hood or roll bar so it has a good level of gravity to deliver the fuel. Some owners have used a big squeeze bottle and a rubber hose as the temporary fuel supply.

If it runs much better, then you have narrowed down where your problem is.

Dave