Quick adjust top link (not hydraulic)?

PenderBen

Equipment
B6200d, Bobcat 323j, T1600
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Hello all.
I have searched on this topic but came up with nothing.
Does anyone make a sliding quickly adjustable top link (such as the lower stabilizers Hodge makes)?
All I could find were either the standard threaded type or hydraulic.
Is there any reason something like that wouldn't work?
My few implements have vastly different length requirements and I'm tired of having to crank on the threaded link so much, plus it'd be nice to be able to quickly change the angle on my back blade.

I'm looking for one that would fit my B6200d.

Thanks
Ben

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Top links are somewhat cheap so I bought one for each implement and leave it with it when I unhook.

Just ordered a subsoiler, if a current top link will work I will use it for subsoiler and write with marker on it the implements it works with otherwise back to TS for another one.

My issue is I may spend an hour getting my garden bedder adjusted just like I want it then I take off top link spend another getting road scraper like I want etc. I tried marking the thread so I would know where to adjust to but it wore off.

So, I ended up with each implement having it's own top link unless the same adjustment fit another implement.

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Seems like adjusting the length with the implement attached may be more trouble than it would be worth.

Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to build if you can weld, get a couple pieces of square tubing that will telescope and cut the ends off of an aftermarket top link. You'd also want plenty of adjustment holes in both pieces so you can set it every 1/4" or so.

PenderBen

Equipment
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
I would consider additional aftermarket top links, but about the cheapest I see in Canada are about $50 a pop, so that would start to add up quickly.

I guess fabricating one would be the way to go, I could probably manage it, but I'm betting it'd be ugly.

I don't think it would be too hard to adjust with implements attached, just drop them to the ground and take the weight off- nothing that fits my B6200 is that big.

Thanks for the responses.
Ben

Seems like adjusting the
length with the implement attached may be more trouble than it would be worth.

Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to build if you can weld, get a couple pieces of square tubing that will telescope and cut the ends off of an aftermarket top link. You'd also want plenty of adjustment holes in both pieces so you can set it every 1/4" or so.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I would consider additional aftermarket top links, but about the cheapest I see in Canada are about $50 a pop, so that would start to add up quickly.

I guess fabricating one would be the way to go, I could probably manage it, but I'm betting it'd be ugly.

I don't think it would be too hard to adjust with implements attached, just drop them to the ground and take the weight off- nothing that fits my B6200 is that big.

Thanks for the responses.
Ben
Taking the weight off and getting the pin out isn't the problem, it's how do you get it aligned to the length you want it that will be the problem. About the only way to extend the top link will be to lift the implement without the top link locked but then that might require moving back and forth from the 3 pt lever and the implement until you get it just right. Then if you lift it too high you may have to pull the tractor forward some. If you need to make the top link shorter you may have to pull the pin and pull the tractor forward some.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
There are reasons that these are not commercially available, it simply is not practical when you get down to it. ;)
I completely agree. The top link is often needed to adjust the equipment when suspended and the slow speed the threads provide also provide the needed leverage. A quick adjust mechanism would be very difficult to move when loaded with the weight of the equipment.

PenderBen

Equipment
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
True enough, but like I said, in my application none of the attachments are that big. Mainly I would only need to adjust it when swapping attachments.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
You originally said "plus it'd be nice to be able to quickly change the angle on my back blade", that's the reason we're saying it wouldn't be practical. If it's only adjusting when hooking up and you don't do other adjustments it may work.

Something else you may want to consider, there was someone on TBN who took a ratchet binder and used that to modify a top link, that may be something to consider.

Unless your top link need lubrication it should only take about a minute to go from fully closed to full extension.

PenderBen

Equipment
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Fair enough, but I still don't think that would be too hard to do.
The hydraulic looks nice enough, but overkill for my needs.
I'll try to fabricate one if I get a chance.

Thanks again everyone for contributing to this thread.

You originally said "plus it'd be nice to be able to quickly change the angle on my back blade", that's the reason we're saying it wouldn't be practical. If it's only adjusting when hooking up and you don't do other adjustments it may work.

Something else you may want to consider, there was someone on TBN who took a ratchet binder and used that to modify a top link, that may be something to consider.

Unless your top link need lubrication it should only take about a minute to go from fully closed to full extension.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
like bulldog said the hydralink is what you want. when you open the bypass it slides in and out close it and it stays put. you can even adjust it from the seat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk