BH77 Backhoe and Subframe Alignment

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I just got my new L3301HST with BH77 backhoe a few days ago. On delivery day, the dealer and I took off the backhoe to mount up one of my 3-point implements for training purposes, and yesterday I put the backhoe back on. Mounting the backhoe is trickier than the Youtube videos I've seen suggest, since those folks just uncouple, drive straight forward and straight back, then recouple! I also didn't realize that it's necessary to grab a couple of wrenches to remove the 3 point links. I think I'll get some spare bolts and nuts for that, because the lower link pin bolts and telescoping stabilizer nuts/bolts look easy to lose.

I have a question about the proper alignment of the backhoe, subframe, and pins. I had a hard time getting everything lined up to remount the backhoe, since this was my first time doing it. I needed to tap the left pin into place, while the right pin easily slid in by hand. I'm not sure what the alignment is supposed to look like between the backhoe and the subframe. Here's what mine looks like after I put the backhoe on:

IMG_3935.jpg IMG_3936.jpg

Should the bosses around the subframe pin holes bump into the pads on the inner sides of the backhoe brackets? The way it's all lined up looks funny to me. I'd expect the subframe spacing to either have both bosses solidly contact the pads (i.e., subframe brackets closer to each other), or have both bosses clear the pads (i.e., subframe brackets farther apart from each other). As mine currently sits, the left side boss just barely clears the pad, and the right side boss just barely contacts it.

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I can't speak to just how centered it needs to be - I've had my BH77 off and on several times and it seems it is never exactly in the same place (left to right). I made a cart to land the BH on to, so instead of lining the tractor up and driving backwards, the tractor stays still, and I push the BH to where it needs to be. Taken me more time to take the 3PH off, than to put the BH on.

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
Takes me awhile to get the BH77 on too. I just put the BH77 on a few days ago and it went on looking more like the photo of your right side on both sides except (using your terminology) the pads sat on the subframe bosses equally on each side about 1/4" or so. I think the BH subframe might be spaced farther apart on your machine.

Sorry I can't get any photos since I gave the L3901 and BH77 to my nephew right after I reinstalled the BH and it's no longer in my shop.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
A cart for the backhoe sounds like it would be a lot easier. It will be a long time before I might have the luxury of mounting and dismounting my backhoe on a concrete pad. Is there any successful precedent for making a big-wheel backhoe cart that's usable on dirt?

I wonder if my subframe brackets need to be shimmed or something to allow both bosses to hit the pads better? The bottom hooks seem to line up snugly:

IMG_3938.jpg IMG_3939.jpg

But at the top, it kind of looks to me like the brackets should be closer together.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
You got me curious.

Just went and put the hoe back on my tractor. Mine definitely engages considerably more at the pins than yours. The bottom hooks look about the same though.

I would be leery of using it without some adjustment. Those bosses' have to take a lot of stress.

Attachments

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
Just went and put the hoe back on my tractor. Mine definitely engages considerably more at the pins than yours. The bottom hooks look about the same though.

I would be leery of using it without some adjustment. Those bosses' have to take a lot of stress.
Thanks for checking and sharing your pictures! I'll talk to my dealer about the alignment.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
IMG_0621.jpg

That is not right. The left should ride inside
Of the right one.
The left part will have the paint warn off after some use from working in the right saddle.
There will be too much play in that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
Thanks for the help, folks. I emailed my dealer about it just now, and I'll see what they have to say. Hopefully the brackets can be adjusted a bit for better alignment. I put together this diagram to illustrate what the connection points look like on my tractor:

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
It could be that the sub frame was not right when it was welded at the factory. I looked at mine and it looks like the others where the bosses sit in the saddles against the inside of the mounts snug. The sub frame does not have any shimming between it and the tractor frame. I installed it after removing it from a L3800 which did not have any shims either.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
You know, I don't think the pins and their holes are in much danger of damage from this issue. I think that the pins are capable of dealing with all of the normal stresses by themselves, and the bosses and pads are just there to allow the pins to be removed, by lining up the holes properly to unload the pins when you force the bosses against the pads with pressure from the boom.

So I think this is something that isn't right and needs to be fixed, but I don't think anything is likely to break.

Anyway, the dealer's sales guy has passed my email along to the service manager, and I'm waiting to see what they say.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I'm a little late updating this thread, but I have good news. The dealer was able to fix the alignment problem on my tractor. They moved the washers on the top bolts from the outside to the inside, and it looks like they added some more as well. This appears to have shimmed the top of the subframe right to where it needs to be.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I made my backhoe dolly able to navigate over dirt . put it on and off on concrete but its stored in a gravel floor corner of a shed. It has a trailer coupler so theres no need to push it across the lot to the other shed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

project_x

Mar 6, 2010
Ottawa
I made my backhoe dolly able to navigate over dirt . put it on and off on concrete but its stored in a gravel floor corner of a shed. It has a trailer coupler so theres no need to push it across the lot to the other shed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I love to see some pics of that dolly

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk