Chain Saw holder (and everything else Rube Goldberg would want)

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Several folks have posted photos of their tractor chain saw holder and thought I would post mine... ummm and a few other things the Kubota carries around with it.. :rolleyes:

First a little history. I bought this tractor primarily for wood land and yard maintenance which included the 60" mower and pto driven leaf blower/bagger on the rear. After using a friends tractor with a front end loader I decided I had to have one..

The steel work you see added to the tractor initially started out to solve two things.. the bagger on the rear is quite fragile when it comes to backing into trees in tight areas. so a steel frame was built to protect that. When I got the FEL I didn't buy any weights to go on the rear of the tractor as I planned to ummm.. add my own weight back there..

More steel work was added on the lower left rear when I found out in the woods there was still an opening for a tree that happened to be leaning at just the right angle to jump in and wipe out a couple of those expensive Kubota rear lights. :( And of course after that happened, I decided I better wrap the chainsaw, gas & tool box with steel to keep those pesky trees away. You probably would never guess that I'm always looking for an excuse to break out the welder.. Since the mower is the widest thing on the tractor (and it always stays on) I kept every thing added within the width profile of the mower.

Well I should admit that I think Rube Goldberg was a distant cousin on mine so the things added on to the tractor just kept growing.. You know.. that work far away from the garage and the long walk to get a tool.. and now what was it I going to use that tool for???????

Things on the tractor... as I tell my friends before showing it to them ... It's OK to laugh I won't be offended... :D:)

In addition to the mower deck, FEL and rear bagger/pto blower, a few (what is "few"?) other tools stay on the tractor.

Let's see,
Chainsaw (that's what started this), chainsaw gas, oil and tools

Gas string trimmer/brush cutter

Shovel, rake (really try to minimize using tools that don't make no noise)

Cant hook (or peavy) which ever name you like (and of course modified to more efficiently lift parts of trees out of the dirt so my just sharpened chainsaw doesn't get introduced to a rock or other detritus.) That terrible looking Ford tractor blue (from the other tractor in the stable) on the peavy will be sprayed orange)

Electric shrub trimmer (and if I'm forced to use them the hand operated shrub trimming shears are there)

100' of logging chain (for the pesky trees that need to be persuaded which way to go) and makes a nice ballast weight for the FEL

Bolt on addition to the top of the ROPS to protect the string trimmer from getting reshaped by a low tree limb, and place to lay a 24' extension ladder one end in the bucket and the other on top of the ROPS extension in a little saddle that keeps it off my head. (ladder to get chain up high enough in trees to be cut to persuade them which way to go),

Come Along to tension chain (if I don't use the Big Blue to do that, a man can never have too many tractors :rolleyes:)

Tree Pruning Pole/Saw

FEL bucket hooks for lifting things that won't fit in the bucket..

Trailer hitch on the back; steel was added around the pto driven blower attachment and additional attachment points to the tractor frame to ensure trailer towing (or trees that sneak up and hit the back of the tractor when I'm not looking :rolleyes:) forces are not transfered into the PTO powered blower drive unit.

Did I mention the 22hp pto driven leaf blower (redirected by ductwork) will clean out leaves, water, small animals paralyzed by the noise, detritus and pokeymon players out of ditches? :p) well after countless hours tuning the duct work from the PTO blower to combine effectively with the "blow" of the mower deck chute to put the leaves deep into the surrounding woods. I seldom use the bagger for leaves.

In case you noticed how high the seat is, that is a spring suspension/oil shock seat to save my back that protests much too easily from the shocks riding over rough ground, especially with the tires pumped up to recommended spec for FEL stability.

Well enough words.. if no photos posted, it don't exist.. so enjoy! first 5 pics

Attachments

Last edited:

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
That's a zombie apocalypse tractor if I've ever seen one.

Okay maybe not zombie... Let's go with plant-based zombie apocalypse.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
One man wrecking crew lol Mr Gadget got nothing on you. Got a lunch bucket and cooler on there too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
All right you got my curiosity. What's hanging on the big blue tractor?

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
All right you got my curiosity. What's hanging on the big blue tractor?
Big Blue is in semi retirement, parked in a nice dry garage; hopefully so it will have a longer, healthy old age.. I use the orange youthful adolescent for everything I can. Hmmm maybe I should wear some blue paint, maybe it would help my old age. :eek:

Only use it for hauling cut wood, scraping about 3/4 mile of private gravel roads for me and the neighbors; its rear mounted blade does a nice job shaping the road..

Occasionally I use it on the long end of the chain to persuade a tree which way to fall.

Rube spared it and put most of the lipstick on the Kubota..

I knew I was forgetting something.. well old Blue does have something worth bragging about. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It makes a nice ballast weight to keep this scaffold from moving around; actually blue moves this around with a cradle on the underside at the front and the 3 point lift on the back. and some training wheels.. I'm very careful not to get on unlevel ground as it gets a bit spooky with that much steel overhead. Once in place it is absolutely rock solid, use 2x10 boards are clamped in place to stand on, even has hand railing every where including the swing out section. The swing out section gives me enough length to put a 20 foot 2x10 down as a walkway. and a swing mount davit on top to pull up enough 3/4" plywood (securely clamped down) to completely cover a level to work on.

Built this many years ago just after we finished building the house, and had more youthful energy than brains and money. Actually I got up there one time at the gable vent while we were building the house hanging on a shakey 32 foot extension ladder and decided I didn't like that and Rube came up with something different.

In all seriousness (if that's possible) I seem to be one of those who won't give up doing jobs for myself that most people hire out. This pic taken when I repainted the house twice.. two coats on it (high pressure paint guns are wonderful) and about 24 tubes of caulking at the corners and roof overhang intersection trim joints that we never did when the house was built...too tired then.

Haven't talked to anybody who built their own house (not all of it, but worked with an old time builder who let us do as much as we wanted to undertake (too much) and who didn't move in before it was finished and then promptly forgot for years those things unfinished, while recharging the batteries.

Attachments

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have never seen anything like that orange machine of yours BUT I like it! All I can say is WOW!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Harmonica, a little drum and cymbals you would definetly make it as a travelling one man band.
Unfortunately all i carry on my tractor is my lil underseat toolbox and my leatherman on my belt.

I do understand the need to carry it all, especially if you have any acreage and the trip back for that one thing you forgot is a long one.