Crapsman Vs Deere

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I couldn't help but get a chuckle out of a tv commercial I saw tonight while out at dinner. It was a Craftsman mower going up against a Deere, with Crapsman saying they out preform the Deere model. While I'm not a fan of either I'd think the Deere would trump the Crapsman all day every day.

Maybe its my feeble simple mind but I got a laugh out of it...

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
LL!! Yes I saw it as well and had a chuckle. 7.5MPH?!?!? that is why the guy driving it was wearing safety goggles... to keep the bugs and the parts flying off out of his eyes at that blistering Warp speed.

Cheers

Roger

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im not sure but someone once told me ALL the craftsmen, cubs and small Deere's were made in the same factory, I think it was MTD along with Murray and every store brand name out there

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I have seen both Cub and Deere low end and high end models. For example if you go to Lowes you will see 18 - 24 hp Deere models for $2,000 to $2,500 and if you go to Tractor Supply you will see the same scenario with Cubs. Now, if you go to a Cub or Deere dealer you will pay $5,000 to $6,000 for a similar hp tractor. Apples and oranges, the cheapies are to compete with the Craftsman's of the world. I have two older IH Cubs with cast iron Kohler's that will eat up any lower priced Cub, Deere, craftsman, etc. I thing the green and yellow companies just don't want to loose a sale. Thank goodness orange hasn't cheapened itself. Cutting corners has a way of taking hold and ruining the brand... IMHO.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah steve it like they say ya bet what you pay for

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
That is quite a commercial. One thing to remember is when you are talking crap about someone it is advertising. Deere and Company gets free advertising here.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dont think Deer and Compay gets free ad space here. More then likely they are sold ad space via the forum to help keep the lights on around here. I don't blame the owners of the site for taking the competitions money to pay the power bill.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
For cost if parts and issues I have had with craftsman equipment I will never buy another one. Spent $320 for tines for older tiller alone and its cheap made at that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The small yellow tractor I had in the barn would eat up hydro pumps at least once a year and they did/would not sell a rebuild kit for them. At 300 bucks a shot it was an expensive little tractor. Lil bro took it used the motor for a log splitter and scraped the rest,, I couldn't sell it or even give it away for parts

Captjohn

Equipment
L2550 4WD
Aug 16, 2013
Bay St. Louis, MS USA
I have a 2000 model Craftsman tractor with the Kohler motor and hydrostatic drive. I don't have a professional lawn service but I cut 2 acres and in the south that's late March thru late October. I also have a 20 year old bagger attachment and use it to pick up leaves in the fall and spring (I have 40 large Oak and Live Oak trees) so It has a lot of hours on it. In 2005 Hurricane Katrina came through and I was at ground zero. The mower was under 12' of salt water for 2 days. I washed and flushed it out, replaced $250 worth of parts and it's still going. I replaced the deck last year but other than the occasional blades, battery and belt, this thing has been a trooper. Most parts can be found on EBay for almost 1/2 the Sears price.
When/if this one ever dies, I'll replace it with another like it. I won't pay $5000 for a residential mower.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I have an LA 145 John Deere mower and it has been well used and I have had no problems so far after 5 years. It is their consumer series that they sell at Home Depot but I bought this one at the dealer. The LX are the professional series but they are an extra grand at least!
I stay on top of the maintenance which I think is even more important on the more lightly made stuff.

michigandon

Equipment
B3300 soon!
Apr 24, 2014
Wake Forest, NC
The Craftsmen, Ariens, and Husqvarna machines sold at Sears, Home Depot, and Lowe's respectively, are all made by American Yard Products. I have the biggest Ariens sold by Home Despot and use it to mow about 3/4 acre of grass. The tractor itself is comparable to my late fathers Simplicity IMHO, but the mower deck is nowhere near as nice.

The El Cheapo-type John Deeres sold in the big box stores are built in Tennessee, whilst the "good" models sold in the dealerships are built in Horicon, Wisconsin, where they have been since the first 110s rolled off the line in 1963. :)

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Deere is chasing market area that is really below them but sales exist so they are after them as I see it. My dad has a Deere lawn mower with a good Kohler engine and cast iron axels and suspension. I have not seen a Craftsman with cast iron suspension and I am not aware that they exist. Still people who buy a Craftsman might buy a Deere if it is price competitive but the Deere has to gut the good stuff out of it to be sold lower. The competition Deere stuff is not at all what is available at the higher prices with better stronger parts in the dealers.

I have an old 1991 Craftsman. Everything is stamped sheet metal and the previous owner cracked the frame running on a lot of uneven ground. I keep it maintained so it is in perfect working order but it doesn't compare to a Deere in any way. One pic shows the welded frame.

Attachments