3 point hitch lift arms

auctioneer dave

Equipment
L3600, LA680, backhoe attachment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
I have a L 3600 tractor that I have had to repair and replace two hydraulic cylinders on the FEL and repaired 4 on the Bradco back hoe all with these still mounted to the tractor. I did loose some fluid while doing this that was replaced, then I took the back hoe attachment off the tractor and tried to hook a grader blade to the three point hitch but it would not lift the blade. I took the blade off and was using the FEL to work on the drive way, when I looked back the lift arms where lifting but very slowly. Does any body know why the lift arms will not work? The spin on hydraulic filter has just been replace just before doing this work on the tractor. Thanks Dave

auctioneer dave

Equipment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
Yes the is a knob right below the seat in the center but I thought that was just for the down speed of the three point lift.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
It can also lock the the action. There is a procedure to bleed the 3-pt system if you have changed the hyd fluid.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I my be assuming incorrectly that my BX can cross to L3600 so here is excerpt from my manual:

If the 3-point hitch cannot be raised by setting the hydraulic control lever to the UP position after long term storage or when changing the transmission oil, follow these air bleeding procedures.
1. Stop the engine
2. Set the hydraulic control lever to the down position and start the engine.
3. Operate the engine at low idle speed for at least 30 seconds to bleed air from the system.

Do not operate until the engine is warmed up. If operation is attempted when the engine is still cold, the hydraulic system may be damaged.

If noises are heard when implement is lifting after the hydraulic control lever has been activated, the hydraulic mechanism is not adjusted properly. Unless corrected the unit will be damaged.

So, with the foregoing and given you replaced some fluid this is just something to check.

I'll ask again, have you tried adjusting the lowering control speed?

Is the fluid level full?

Last edited:

auctioneer dave

Equipment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
I tried the procedure that you said to try but to no avail, I tried turning the knob you were talking about all the way both ways slowly nothing happened. I even have tried working the lift arms by hand up and down while I had some one moving the lift up and down still nothing. the lift arms when I lifted them by hand it seems there is no resistance at all.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Just wanted to rule out the simple stuff first. Sounds like an issue with the control valve such as damage to the relief valve spring, sticking spool, piston o-ring or cylinder damage. There are many others on this forum that can guide you in the right direction.

One other simple thing, if your tractor has this, when you disconnected the BH, did you re-connect the hydraulic return line?

Last edited:

auctioneer dave

Equipment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
no I did not connect the return line from the back hoe one line has a male fitting and the other has a female are the supposed to be connected? Thanks for all the work you have done I will try that tomorrow morning.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
no I did not connect the return line from the back hoe one line has a male fitting and the other has a female are the supposed to be connected? Thanks for all the work you have done I will try that tomorrow morning.
I think you found the culprit. Please let us know how you make out.

auctioneer dave

Equipment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
I connected the two hoses together that went to the back hoe attachment nothing happens on the lift arms, I have tried every thing I know to try short of taking it to a mechanic to look at the whole tractor which they could charge a thousand dollars and not do any thing for it.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
When you try to operate the arms up, does it make a noise? If it does it may be pointing to lack of fluid volume or flow, such as a clogged filter (though you did mention you changed it), suction pipe loose or broken, relief valve setting pressure too low, etc. does your system have a strainer screen?

If there is no noise and the arms won't lift, it is pointing to the control valve.

An option could be to get a service manual for your specific model. If you are capable of rebuilding the cylinders on the FEL and BH, it would seem to be within your capabilities, but I wouldn't fly blind.

Hopefully some others here will drop in with their thoughts/experience...

Good Luck, sorry I couldn't help.

auctioneer dave

Equipment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
here is what I have now I had to unhook the two hoses that was hooked to the backhoe then turn the control screw on two hydraulic block outlet to horizontal the arms lifted slow but when I put a little pressure on them they lift quit raising and the fel will not work.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I am pretty certain the two hyd lines in the rear need to be connected together to complete the flow through the system. At this point the fluid could be too low, a line is plugged, or one of the components in the hydraulic system is malfunctioning such as the pump or control valve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can you give me a picture of the lines and where they connect too, and any controls your are trying to adjust.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Wolfman, it was mentioned that the BH was removed and that the hydraulic lines that were disconnected from BH were not then connected together on the tractor. Are you thinking there are other hydraulic male/female connections in that area or that the lines do not need to be connected together?

My understanding is that without connecting the lines together fluid is not returned to the reservoir, pressure builds up in the system, and components can be damaged. My money is on this as the initial cause of the problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree that the lines might need to be connected together for it to work, or that there is a bypass valve before the lines, that's why I wanted to see some pic's.
If it's connected to the Block on the front you will need to turn the bypass on in order for the three point to work right.

auctioneer dave

Equipment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
Here is what I have now with the lines to the backhoe disconnected and the valve block turned to horizontal the front load does not work but the lift arms are working. I want all three to work with out having to turning this valve block at all. this is the way all of the older tractor worked you could use the front loader, the three point hitch and the remotes on the back like hooking up a wheel disc to raise and lower it. Why does this have to be any different?

auctioneer dave

Equipment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
When I had the lift arms lifting that was with out an implement on them, when I installed an implement they will not lift.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds to me like the diverter block is stuck in bypass or relief, hence the reason it has lift, but no power on the lift.