Brush Hog-What Have You Ran Over?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
We play table tennis at lunch each day at work stress relief and one of the guys who plays owns a BX. We were talking about brush hogging today, getting that time of the year here in NC.

He shared a story where he had ran over a box springs he did not see in tall grass, what a cluster he said to get in untangled and later he ran over an old toilet. He had me rolling talking about the noise the toilet made and the endless snipping he did with cutters removing the box springs.

So what you ran over while brush hogging that can top?

1- Box Springs
2- Toilet

For me nothing crazy like this so what you got?

Thanks for your time, thought this would provide some good laughs.

Jay

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Not hoggin but mowing high grass, the old yellow tractor ran over half a case of beer the kids hid in the high grass after they crashed in the hillside below the barn and took off leaving the truck sitting there idling with its nose in the air. I dont think it would have been to bad if they had been cans,, but alas they were glass bottles. Talk about alcohol abuse

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Brush hogging a BX over a toilet...sound a little like the story was embellished a bit. But then maybe where he lives toilets are shorter/smaller than standard!

This is what we call a toilet, or something very similar.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I sympathize with the box spring incident- not a bush hog, but I ran over one with a LandCruiser while creeping around an old mining site in low range, 1st gear. Grass/weeds were deep, so I was going slow so as not to drive into an open mine shaft. Had no idea until the engine bogged down & quit. Box spring had wound tightly around the rear drive shaft. Spent the next 5+ hours on my back with dikes, a hacksaw, pry bars, chain, HiLift jack, and a hand come-along to get free. In Arizona heat.:mad:

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Way more than my fair share of Tee posts and fence wire!!:rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I found a rotary hoe with a riding lawn mower :eek: Needless to say, the hoe one that argument.

It had been buried on my grandfather's property and forgotten. Was mowing some taller stuff in the spring and hit a corner sticking up with a mower blade. Thought it was some scrap metal but couldn't yank it out by hand. So I grabbed the L2250, and caught the piece with the bucket. Had to work for a bit to get it to start moving.

This is pretty similar to what I dug out.

Attachments

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Not a hog but my sister ran over a bunch of barbwire with a jd 68. I was on the hook for cleaning it out.

Pitbull

Equipment
Kubota L4701, LP RCR1860 Cutter, LP RTA 1258 Tiller
Dec 8, 2017
Mt. Enterprise, Texas
About 3yrs ago, I was doing some hogging for my bil on some property he owned in a sub division. It was flat and open with no obstacles to worry about, supposedly. As I made the first couple of passes near some neighbors homes, I noticed a familiar but, forgotten smell and, the ground seemed soft for some reason. It was the middle of summer and hadn't rained in weeks. On the next pass I figured everything out, one of his delightful neighbors had decided to run their septic overflow line out into his lots with a garden hose. I wasn't exactly sure what was happening when the hog hit the hose as it didn't really make a lot of noise. All I knew was, I was now covered in this now remembered smell and the hog was slinging the now mangled hose all over everything!!! Took several minutes to cut away all the pieces of the hose which, were deposited inside the neighbors fence where they could dispose of it as they saw fit. Told my bil, who happens to be a lawyer, what had happened and he sent a very nasty lawyerese letter to the owner along with a bill for labor of cleaning the tractor. Looking back now it's pretty funny, but at the time I was wanting to strangle the owner with that hose.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Last summer I ran over a yellow jacket nest. They didn't get me that pass but on the next pass I was looming over my shoulder checking the brush hog height setti g as I drove into the pissed off swarm. Turned the key off, bailed and ran. Man that hurt..

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Last summer I ran over a yellow jacket nest. They didn't get me that pass but on the next pass I was looming over my shoulder checking the brush hog height setti g as I drove into the pissed off swarm. Turned the key off, bailed and ran. Man that hurt..
Found one a couple years ago with the push mower. Got 16 stings to one leg 10 or so to the other, and a trip to the walk in clinic for a shot in the keister. Foot swelled up double it's size. Never used to bother me, but after that amount, I became allergic.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Stump that couldn’t be seen on an old Ford 4000. Holy cow it shook the whole tractor like a 7.0 earthquake. The old farmer put a non breakable bolt on the ‘hog and it ripped the PTO shaft right out, tore the mount up, and drained the entirety of the hydraulic fluid on that stump. THAT was an experience that taught me how to FIX tractors.

The stump was burned. All that oil made quick work out of it. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
In no particular order:

Hornets
Fence posts
Wire
Huge cable left over from a logger. That was loud!
Splitting maul

yeehaw48

Equipment
kubota 6040 tractor, kubota utv 1100c
Apr 26, 2018
ky
mowing a neighbors field I hit a tire and rim, lot of shaking going on. The worst I've run over is a dang,skunk and had to pass by it for a awhile.....peeuuu!!:eek:

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I was bush hogging an overgrown hog lot once and ground up a live hog around 100 lb. It was laying in some tall weeds and I never saw it. The IH 674 tractor bogged down like I had hit a tree stump only I knew there were no stumps around. It was not a pretty sight when I looked back.