Which Old Ford Tractor??

BotaTrac

Equipment
Kubota B25D, Kubota L305DT, Kubota L2501D, Ford 681 Select-O-Speed
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
I was with a friend last week at an equipment auction and saw an old Ford 8N go for $900.00. The price didn't capture my attention at all. It was the lines on the sheet metal and the sound of that gasoline engine. That night, I was looking at YouTube and saw the 2N, 8N, 9N and the '53 NAA Golden Jubilee. I think I'm in love and I want one to completely tear down and rebuild.........Ford Red Tiger Engine and all. I also think I like the 641 and 841 respectively. No matter what I get, it's main purpose will be show but I don't own anything that doesn't start right up and run like it should.

All that said, my question is - which one should I buy and why? Should I get one with the Sherman Hi/Low tranny? What should I be wary of and what should I upgrade during the restoration? I'm very curious and would really love to see some pictures from guys who have gone this way before me. Thanx in advance........:)

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There are plenty around Michigan, most are still working. Mine sold for $2200, bought about 30 years ago for $1700. I always wanted to fix it up and make it beautiful, but not realistic. Ran ok except for occasional mystery stalls. Needed new wiring. Couple people on the forum have working 8 or 9n's. I know a couple people around here that restore old tractors, I imagine you can locate some local expertise through the Ford 8n club.

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
Not much help but my father in law has a 1953 Ford 8N he restored years ago. Uses the heck out of that thing so much so it could probably use another refresh after all the work it’s done. It’s a really cool tractor. Hope you go for it and let us see the progress!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You could also look at the Ferguson models too, same parts as the 8N's. ;)

I got one given to me and then traded it for my 743 Bobcat.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
learned the hard way not to remove the overrun clutch. It made hooking up the bush hog a pain. Left it off one time and took out about 10' of fence. Brakes wont stop the momentum of a spinning rotary mower.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had the golden jubi for about 5 years......till I bought the Bota.

I can only imagine my BX lasting 65 years and still get the job done.

Each series had its own twinkle and wrinkle. The later 8Ns were a little easier to get to the distributor and the 53-54 had a little stronger engine and better hydraulics.

I pass a 53 Golden Jubilee every day - in great shape .....man wants $2500.......

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I was with a friend last week at an equipment auction and saw an old Ford 8N go for $900.00. The price didn't capture my attention at all. It was the lines on the sheet metal and the sound of that gasoline engine. That night, I was looking at YouTube and saw the 2N, 8N, 9N and the '53 NAA Golden Jubilee. I think I'm in love and I want one to completely tear down and rebuild.........Ford Red Tiger Engine and all. I also think I like the 641 and 841 respectively. No matter what I get, it's main purpose will be show but I don't own anything that doesn't start right up and run like it should.

All that said, my question is - which one should I buy and why? Should I get one with the Sherman Hi/Low tranny? What should I be wary of and what should I upgrade during the restoration? I'm very curious and would really love to see some pictures from guys who have gone this way before me. Thanx in advance........:)
I have had and used various vintage Ford tractors during the last 50 years or so and still have 4 as well as 5 Kubotas.

Many, many vintage Ford tractors are still being used and there are active clubs/groups supporting such. I would recommend the YT antique tractor forum and the N Board. Post back if you do not find these.

What model you choose to restore depends mostly upon whether you plan to use it for regular duty or not. If looking for a user, I would recommend a 55 or later 860, 861, or 1963/64 4000 with 5 speed transmission. All of these models will have live PTO and 45 PTO HP or a bit more.

Both tractors and parts are ubiquitious and easy to find at reasonable prices. Ford made nearly 500,000 N series tractors between 1939 and 1954. As a result, both OEM and aftermarket (not recommended) parts are available in nearly all situations.

If you decide on an 8N, get a late model (51 or 52) model. Late model 8Ns are improved in several regards vis a vis the 48, 49 and early 50 models. All 8Ns are significantly improved vis a vis the earlier 9N and 2N models.

FWIW, I bought a new B3350 this past to replace a very good 51 8N with Sherman combination transmission (12 speed forward, 3 speed reverse and 3 speed PTO). I will be putting this 8N on the market in 4-6 weeks. My loaded 55 860 will be going on the market within a year or so as well but not yet.

SDT

Last edited:

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>I pass a 53 Golden Jubilee every day - in great shape <<

I remember when these came out in that year. To us it was a big deal, what with the redesigned hood and all. :)

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
There are plenty around Michigan, most are still working. Mine sold for $2200, bought about 30 years ago for $1700. I always wanted to fix it up and make it beautiful, but not realistic. Ran ok except for occasional mystery stalls. Needed new wiring. Couple people on the forum have working 8 or 9n's. I know a couple people around here that restore old tractors, I imagine you can locate some local expertise through the Ford 8n club.
Thank you - I will look them up.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Not much help but my father in law has a 1953 Ford 8N he restored years ago. Uses the heck out of that thing so much so it could probably use another refresh after all the work it’s done. It’s a really cool tractor. Hope you go for it and let us see the progress!

I will certainly let you know what I decide to do. There are quite a few of these vintage tractors available on my local Craigslist.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
You could also look at the Ferguson models too, same parts as the 8N's. ;)

I got one given to me and then traded it for my 743 Bobcat.
That's what I understand. There are quite a few vintage Fords on my local Craigslist but no Ferguson's yet. I think I'm going to expand my search into the 600 and 800 series too.....

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
learned the hard way not to remove the overrun clutch. It made hooking up the bush hog a pain. Left it off one time and took out about 10' of fence. Brakes wont stop the momentum of a spinning rotary mower.
Oh No!! I hope no one was hurt!!

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
I had the golden jubi for about 5 years......till I bought the Bota.

I can only imagine my BX lasting 65 years and still get the job done.

Each series had its own twinkle and wrinkle. The later 8Ns were a little easier to get to the distributor and the 53-54 had a little stronger engine and better hydraulics.

I pass a 53 Golden Jubilee every day - in great shape .....man wants $2500.......

Yea, around here there are quite a few for sale running between $1500 and $2500 respectively.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
I have had and used various vintage Ford tractors during the last 50 years or so and still have 4 as well as 5 Kubotas.

Many, many vintage Ford tractors are still being used and there are active clubs/groups supporting such. I would recommend the YT antique tractor forum and the N Board. Post back if you do not find these.

What model you choose to restore depends mostly upon whether you plan to use it for regular duty or not. If looking for a user, I would recommend a 55 or later 860, 861, or 1963/64 4000 with 5 speed transmission. All of these models will have live PTO and 45 PTO HP or a bit more.

Both tractors and parts are ubiquitious and easy to find at reasonable prices. Ford made nearly 500,000 N series tractors between 1939 and 1954. As a result, both OEM and aftermarket (not recommended) parts are available in nearly all situations.

If you decide on an 8N, get a late model (51 or 52) model. Late model 8Ns are improved in several regards vis a vis the 48, 49 and early 50 models. All 8Ns are significantly improved vis a vis the earlier 9N and 2N models.

FWIW, I bought a new B3350 this past to replace a very good 51 8N with Sherman combination transmission (12 speed forward, 3 speed reverse and e speed PTO). I will be putting this 8N on the market in 4-6 weeks. My loaded 55 860 will be going on the market within a year of so as well but not yet.

SDT
WOW!! thanks!! That helps a lot. Do you have an opinion on the 800 and 600 series??

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
>>I pass a 53 Golden Jubilee every day - in great shape <<

I remember when these came out in that year. To us it was a big deal, what with the redesigned hood and all. :)
I think they look amazing. Just a beautiful example of American engineering and manufacturing.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
WOW!! thanks!! That helps a lot. Do you have an opinion on the 800 and 600 series??
Yes.

FWIW, I'm an authority on vintage Ford tractors, especially N series and pre-1965 models.

I have never owned and would never buy a 6** series tractor (absent very unusual circumstances) because similar model 8** tractors are available for about the same price. The 8** series tractors have a significantly more powerful 172 CI engine than do 6** series tractors which are equipped with a similar looking 134 CI engine. Moreover, the 8** series tractors have a more robust and heavier rear axle assembly as well as larger rims/tires.

When these tractors were new the significant advantages of the 6** series tractors vis-à-vis the 8 series models were lower cost and less fuel consumption. Both issues are not relevant for collectors and most users these days.

Find the two web sites that I mentioned in my earlier post. I'm Dean in both. There are several knowledgeable and helpful members therein.

SDT

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I owned a 1960 Ford 641 and it was great. Had a FEL added to it. Not tons of lift power but work for snow and lighter items like hay bales and mulch. Mine had a hydraulic leak in the FEL and some oil leak but it always started and moved snow. Got rid of it because no time to learn how to redo it and needed 4 wheel drive on my hilly terrain. But I loved the old Ford. Bought mine for $3900 and sold it for $3500 5 years later. They hold value if in good working condition.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. I have a warm place in my heart for ALL of these tractors and I cut my teeth on the N Series. If you want a toy, buy whatever you can get the best deal on, and usually for a LITTLE bit more money, you can get a tractor in much better condition than some others. Restoring these tractors has to be a labor of love, because there is not really any money to be made. In my area, the difference between a basket case and "show" tractor is usually in the $1200-1500 range. You can't do too must restoration for that kind of money, let alone labor. If you want to actually do REAL work, I also recommend the 8 Series. MUCH MUCH more capability than any of the N Series. I just got done doing a bunch of work my best friend's girlfriend's 1957 860. She pulls a nice three bottom plow with it.

Attachments

Last edited: