Removing brush hog

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
I bought a new brush hog for my BX2660. My wife and I had trouble attaching the PTO. I finally went on easily, but we have no idea what we did differently to allow it to slip on. Now that I'm done, I'm trying to remove it. Because of the plastic cover on the shaft, I can barely get my hand in to pull on the connection. And I can't get it to budge. The only video I can find is on a large tractor, not a close-up of what he's doing, and it appears he can grab the shaft with one hand while pulling the connection back with the other hand. I can't grab the shaft because of the plastic cover. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
The plastic shield can limit your grip on it but reach past it and pull and wiggle and make sure you are pressing the lock button. Its the thing that probably clicked when you pushed it on.
Coupling/uncoupling is always easier if both parts are clean and have a light spray lube on them. I used to grease them but that makes dirt and crud stick.
A little wear on the parts helps future attempts too. They tend to get easier rather than harder.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I have the Kubota brush hog and I find that universal to the PTO a bear to get on and off. I finally decided to spray both parts with a light grease type stuff similar to WD40. Made the job quite easy then.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Some PTO shafts use a little button you have to press to lock/unlock from the PTO shaft and others use a slip collar you have to slide back towards you to lock/unlock.

Which one do you have?

Some PTO shaft locks have to be held in the unlock position to get it on the PTO shaft.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
Mine has a slip collar. Pull it back and slide it on and pull it back to get it off.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I bought a new brush hog for my BX2660. My wife and I had trouble attaching the PTO. I finally went on easily, but we have no idea what we did differently to allow it to slip on. Now that I'm done, I'm trying to remove it. Because of the plastic cover on the shaft, I can barely get my hand in to pull on the connection. And I can't get it to budge. The only video I can find is on a large tractor, not a close-up of what he's doing, and it appears he can grab the shaft with one hand while pulling the connection back with the other hand. I can't grab the shaft because of the plastic cover. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
With a photo we can tell you if it is easy to disconnect the big end of the plastic guard and slide it back along the shaft giving you a lot more room to work at the locking and release mechanism.

This photo was marked up for a different reason but you can see there are three #24 plastic fasteners which hold the big plastic guard onto the plastic guard tube. One half a turn on each plastic fastener and you can pull it out releasing the big piece.

Dave

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Getting the shield back out of the way (as Dave said) is the key to getting it off easier.

There are a few different ways to get the shield loose but the plastic screws seem most common.

When you get the pto shaft off, you should look at how the shield has to be arranged to get it well attached to the shaft. That will help you get it done when you have the PTO shaft attached to tractor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk