Servicing L1501DT

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Howdy folks, we have an L1501DT and I have been tasked with researching the steps necessary for basic servicing.

I don’t really know what I’m doing and would appreciate it if someone could verify that I’m on the right track.

The good news is the engine seems to run smoothly even though it has over a thousand hours, so I’m looking at fluids and filters first.

The cross reference chart for filters seems to be all I need for those questions, but would appreciate it if someone would verify these values for fluids I found posted in another thread.

Cooling: 5.6 quarts

Engine Crankcase:4.0 quarts
Engine oil DS (CD)
>77*f - SAE 30
77*f to 32*f - SAE 20
<32*f - SArE10W, 10W-30

Steering Box: 0.3 quarts
Gear Oil SAE 80

Transmission:
(L185/L1501) 23 quarts
(L185DT/L1501DT) 24 quarts
Gear Oil SAE 80

(DT) Front Axle Diff. Case (right/left): 1.1 quarts
Gear Oil SAE 90

(DT) Front Axle Gear Case (right/left): 0.8 quarts
Gear Oil SAE 90

I found a complicated (though blurry) shop manual online for the L185 but am still interested in finding a relevant operators/user manual.

One of the rear tires is flat and being that it is the original Bridgestone tire (Japanese characters and all) I would assume it is shot. I would appreciate some advice for replacing the rear tires. We are going to be using the machine for tilling, if that matters.

Beyond fluids, filters, and tires, I am at a loss. I’m not a mechanic and know almost nothing about tractors so would appreciate some guidance for further steps to take. I’m just looking into the specifics and have mechanically inclined relatives who can help me out with the practical and technical details.

I have some pictures I’d like to post as well but don’t think I have permission as this is my first post, also I don’t know if I can post them directly or need to use Dropbox or something.

Thanks for perusing my post.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you go on the main page there is a whole section dedicated to filters under grey market and another section on service.

Don't get too wrapped up in the quantity of each fluid, just fill till full, if you go with a value and it's short or too much your going to have issues.

Also fill the Transmission, Steering box, Front gear case, Front axle case with UDT hydraulic fluid.
And use Diesel rated engine oil something like Rotella 15W-40.

I have the WSM for an L185, that is clear, if you want it.

Tire size and type are very important if it's a DT (4wd)
Also If your going to do 1 tire, do them in pairs.

Keep posting get to 5 and you can upload photos.

Last edited:

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Thanks, Wolfman. Yeah, I***8217;d love a clear copy of the WSM for the L185. I found the info for filters and appreciate the advice for fill levels and fluids. Regarding tires, it is a DT and there are some values on the tires but I***8217;m not sure how to interpret them. I am confident I can do the conversion from metric if I know what the values mean. Thanks again for getting back to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What kind of tires are on it?
R1=Ag tires (not very likely)
R2= Rice tires (most likely)
R3=Turf tires (possible)
R4= Industrial tires (Highly unlikely)

Just post the sizes that are on it now.

I'll guess you have 8.3/8-22 R2's.
Old nomenclature, they don't use it anymore, today it would just be 8.3-22

Also post the size of the front tires too.

Last edited:

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Yup, they are 8.3/8-22. Get back to you with the size of the front tires. What dimensions do those numbers refer to?

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
So, the front tires are 6-14. I looked up tractor tire sizing and understand that the numbers correspond to width and height, so I reckon the units are in inches. Why would the Japanese be using inches?

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Is 8.5-22 a typo? Did you mean to write 8.3-22?

Also, do I need any other info when looking for new tires?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes 8.5 was a typo.
Because tractor tires were an American invention? :rolleyes:
Honestly no clue, 1968 was the adoption of a standardization of tire sizes.

Do you want to stay with skinny, tall tread, rice tires?

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
No reason to keep the same style of tire. We are going to be using it primarily for tilling and breaking ground to expand our presently small garden. We are really just looking for an economical and practical solution to get the thing working.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
I found a complicated (though blurry) shop manual online for the L185 but am still interested in finding a relevant operators/user manual.

I have some pictures I’d like to post as well but don’t think I have permission as this is my first post, also I don’t know if I can post them directly or need to use Dropbox or something.

Welcome to OTT :)

I sent you a PM with a link to the Shop Manual, Operators Manual, Parts Manual and Periodic Maintenance Chart.

You can (after 5 posts I think) post pics directly here and it is advised,
sometimes photo sharing site links go dead.

Here are the pics you could not post..... :D

Attachments

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

I went with these from simpletire.com while albeit they are rice paddy tires, they are a match set to the originals and since I restored my tractor I decided to go this route.

The Originals were so hard, I have not had a chance to put these on yet they are mounted on the wheels, but with the softer rubber I'm sure the ride will be better than with the old rock hard ones.

Attachments

BionicApe

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 14, 2018
Matlock, WA
Well, as much as I prefer the original aesthetic and would rather keep the same style of tire, we are looking at driving the thing on our lawn and breaking ground on the lawn for our garden expansion. I suspect those rice paddy tires will leave something of a mark. Do you have any suggestions for finding a tire type that would still have reasonable traction and not damage the lawn too much?

Also, how compatible is that L185F parts manual?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Last edited:

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Well, as much as I prefer the original aesthetic and would rather keep the same style of tire, we are looking at driving the thing on our lawn and breaking ground on the lawn for our garden expansion. I suspect those rice paddy tires will leave something of a mark. Do you have any suggestions for finding a tire type that would still have reasonable traction and not damage the lawn too much?

Also, how compatible is that L185F parts manual?

I was asked why I did not get these;

My reason was having to find a matching front due to the 4WD,
and I wanted to stay true to original.

But R1s are out there for the 22" rims, not sure about AGs

I think the 185 parts manual will work for "most" but like NIW stated
not so much the transmission.

Attachments

PaulF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501DT
Apr 24, 2018
Ashburton, Victoria, Australia
Hello. I read your chat with interest as I too have just purchased a L1501DT which is my first contact with tractors. I've had a look through the OTT pages. Would be interested to know if there's anywhere within OTT that explains the history of the various series of the grey market. I saw the ref to the DT being 4WD option but interested in the L, B etc series timeline history. Also noticed that it may be possible that L1501 model may be referred to by another model number?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Paul.