RTV900 2007 braking without brake pedal

urzkg1

Equipment
RTV900
Apr 24, 2018
Hadley Mi USA
I'm shopping around for a side by side. I took a 2007 Kubota RTV900 (500 hr /private owner) for a test drive. When I took my foot off the gas it seemed like my foot was hitting the brake. It was a very noticeable braking. It would kinda throw you forward as soon as you took your foot off the gas pedal. I actually thought the Emergency brake was on. I checked the EB and pushed the release, but the same thing happened. Is this know problem with the 2007 RTV900. If not, whats wrong with it? It could actually be dangerous. Any info would be helpful. Besides that I would actually like to make them a offer. Thanks for any input. Greg

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
It’s a hydro transmission, nothing wrong with it. The throttle pedal controls the engine and the hydro pump. There is a little learning curve to these. Just like a hydro tractor except the throttle control is separate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As said nothing wrong with it at all.
The "Gas Pedal" is not the accelerator pedal it's the transmission control pedal, it adjusts the amount of hydraulic flow that is directed to the wheels.
Next time you drive it ease your foot off the pedal and it will be much smoother of an operation. ;)

And throw the term "Gas Pedal" out, it's a diesel right, many a confusion and damage has happened when you mix the word gas and a diesel powered unit! :eek:

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have a 2004 RTV-900 and as said above, it takes some getting used to but if you slowly take your foot off the accelerator pedal it will stop much more smoothly. It just takes some getting used to.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
On my RTV 1120. I installed a hand throttle. You can set the engine speed independently and the pedal in the floor does the ground speed. Just like my HST tractor

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
On my RTV 1120. I installed a hand throttle. You can set the engine speed independently and the pedal in the floor does the ground speed. Just like my HST tractor
Now that's a really cool idea. Did this change the way the vehicle comes to a stop when you take your foot off the pedal?

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
No. The coast valve in the transmission still controls that. They have improved the harsh and abrupt stop from the original RTVs. Perhaps that unit needs to be adjusted. I think after you get used to it you will be fine. The upside to this feature is you will never wear the brake linings out!

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Our 2008 RTV1100 came stock with a hand throttle. Handy for independent use of the hydraulics.

In regards to the stop-o-matic ( :D ) feature, Kubota has made it less aggressive over the years. We have steep hills so I like having the engine breaking type effect. If it is just too much for your use, there are a few after-market kits that will allow it to glide to a stop. I considered it but did not do it. For about $100.00, you get a modified Coast Valve. I have no idea if it affects performance or lifespan of the transmission.

On Edit: Price correction. Looks to be $175.00 for the little jewel. I could turn one out and play with it if I had a sample!!!

https://www.sidebysidestuff.com/coast-valve-kubota-rtv-900-1100-1140.html

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It's called dynamic engine braking. It works well.

I've done a couple with the aftermarket coast valves and they do work for smoothing out the engine braking.

LBoston

Equipment
RV900
Jun 27, 2023
Illinois
It’s a hydro transmission, nothing wrong with it. The throttle pedal controls the engine and the hydro pump. There is a little learning curve to these. Just like a hydro tractor except the throttle control is separate

Is there a way to adjust the response of the braking when you try to decelerate. Seems there is no way to slow down without that SUDDEN stop. I wouldn’t buy one of these if that can’t be a more pleasant stop. I have a Kubota tractor and you can stop without that windshield slamming jolt.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
YES! This is engine-braking…and the BEST way to “adjust” it…is to LEARN to remove your foot from the “go pedal” more slowly… anticipate…the upcoming stop…and decelerate.

Why is this better than tinkering with factory settings..?? Because the First Time you wish to descend a steep grade without burning up the brakes by “riding” the brake pedal…you will really Appreciate Kubota’s fore-thought on this.

We also own a Kawasaki “Mule”…which is a good vehicle…but it is downright dangerous on steep grades…while the RTV descends very controllably…in fact, it sometimes takes applying a little “go pedal” to descend very steep grades.

We’ve learned that Kubota knew what they were doing with this design.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LBoston

Equipment
RV900
Jun 27, 2023
Illinois
YES! This is engine-braking…and the BEST way to “adjust” it…is to LEARN to remove your foot from the “go pedal” more slowly… anticipate…the upcoming stop…and decelerate.

Why is this better than tinkering with factory settings..?? Because the First Time you wish to descend a steep grade without burning up the brakes by “riding” the brake pedal…you will really Appreciate Kubota’s fore-thought on this.

We also own a Kawasaki “Mule”…which is a good vehicle…but it is downright dangerous on steep grades…while the RTV descends very controllably…in fact, it sometimes takes applying a little “go pedal” to descend very steep grades.

We’ve learned that Kubota knew what they were doing with this design.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Geo but I ve operated a lot of hydrostat equipment and with this one it’s impossible to remove your foot from the go pedal slow enough that it doesn’t do the abrupt stop. It’s a little unpredictable when it’s going to stop. Sometimes it may be in the middle of the pedal stroke so you still have some engine rpms. Most hydros do the braking at the end of the pedal stroke so you know when it’s going to happen. I would be good with that. I just think there has to be some adjustment that can be done. Maybe throttle brake coordination adjustment. Engine should be close to idle before brake is actuated. If this machine can’t operate like other Kubota equipment I ve run I wouldn’t have it. No fun to operate

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks Geo but I ve operated a lot of hydrostat equipment and with this one it’s impossible to remove your foot from the go pedal slow enough that it doesn’t do the abrupt stop. It’s a little unpredictable when it’s going to stop. Sometimes it may be in the middle of the pedal stroke so you still have some engine rpms. Most hydros do the braking at the end of the pedal stroke so you know when it’s going to happen. I would be good with that. I just think there has to be some adjustment that can be done. Maybe throttle brake coordination adjustment. Engine should be close to idle before brake is actuated. If this machine can’t operate like other Kubota equipment I ve run I wouldn’t have it. No fun to operate
Your comparison of different designs (by different mfr’s) is mixing apples and oranges….disregarding the thoughtful design of Kubota RTVs.
I OWN a Kubota RTV-X900 now for several years and my entire family …including the children…know how to predict WHERE the deceleration will occur.

You’re writing like you seem to believe the brakes are applied in the process. (“throttle brake coordination” comment) First, there is no “throttle” as in a gasoline engine…. Secondly, there is no brake-application. There is only engine speed coupled with hydro-speed reduction. The reduction of hydro-pedal or “go pedal” results in a change of swash-plate and engine speed….not a true “braking action” as you seem to imply..

I believe your writing indicates a minimal amount of actual driving experience with an RTV. Otherwise you would have been like most others who drive it more than a few times…. they learn to modulate the rate-of-reduction of pedal-application when coming to a stop.

Like yourself, … I also hated and was disturbed by it when I first acquired the RTV. After having driven it more than a few times…and also other off-road types…. I now prefer the Kubota design.

Last edited: