Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Off Topic

Off Topic Got something to share but it's not strictly related to your favorite orange tractor? Post it here!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Beaudeane
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Default Re: SHTF question

Easiest to carry or find a large amount of ammo for probably a 223/556 for rifle.9mm is what I have most stock of for a side arm though l have a smaller amount of 40 & 45 so would go with 9mm side arm for that reason. A scoped ar15 would be my “pick one gun” , for ease of ammo acquisition & parts if needed. I do have an ar10 & some long range bolt guns but a head shot on game out to several hundred yards & it’s supper with a 223. Man sized targets in SHTF situation I’d want a 30 round mag because u never know if it would be close quarters or distance type situations that might go bad
Beaudeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
85Hokie

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX-25D Filled Rears,Bro Tek Spacers,Piranha Tooth Bar-90'&'92 B7100HST

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeets View Post
Interesting answers, as I no longer have any firearms. shelter in place seems to be the best idea
the hell you say!!!!!!!!

I am with Sheep ......whats up?

Skeets.....spill the beans
85Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
David Page
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow

I agree with sheep farmer, ? What. Common ammo is a plus. I'm not looking for or wanting any trouble, but as far as bugging out a lot of people that own tractors probably are in a good place already. When the woods behind us came up for sale we figured having a house down hill from firewood and the garden wasn't a bad idea.
David Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
skeets
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX 2360

Whats up,, nada ,, was just a question posed in my mind. And in reality I doubt anything like this would ever happen. But was nothing more than an exercise, in thinking nothing more. Nope I lost everything I ever had when my boat overturned in the Ohio river. The only thing I have is a corn broom.

I did in fact ponder this very thing much closer yesterday afternoon. What happens when there is an emergency? Storms,floods, natural disasters, loss of services,whatever. We lost power yesterday, was only down for about 4 hours, and though I have the old gen set, how long could we live a half normal life, how long would fuel be available, food and medical care, and so on. How long might it be before the city masses begin to move out to the surrounding countryside. Lets face it FEMA has dropped the ball every time they have gotten involved in any kind of disaster, so we as a people out in the hinterlands would be pretty much on our own.
So this was nothing more than and thought exercise in place.
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
sdk1968
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2601HSD & Kioti CK4010 HST 4WD/FEL

we have lots of preppers & shtf types on our WG site.....

the 3 gun questions is pretty common, but the real issue is why would you tote 3 guns around?

easy answer:

12 gauge, pistol, rifle.

then you have to get into the caliber of rifle/pistol combo.

do you go the same caliber for convenience in the 2?

do you go with common stuff?

do you go with all purpose stuff?

kinda depends on your set up.

if you got a stocked, locked, fortified bunker? then you go with plenty of each & can be more purpose/detail/task oriented.

if you are just trying to "wait it out"? then you are down to the minimums of need.

if you are "on the move"? cave to cave... you want light, fast & ammo that works in both pistol & firearms while still portable... you need a BOB!

pick a scenario & narrow it down...

HINT: if you have to THINK about any of this? You are not a prepper & arent ready. LMFAO....

NO im not a prepper. YES my stuff is good to go.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
bearskinner
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX25D, Grapple, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane

Just like anything in life, knowledge and being prepared is always a good thing. The most common ammunition by far is 22LR. It stands to reason you should stay with common and easy to acquire ammunition. 9mm, 223/556, 45acp, 40. I dont really think there will be a total collapse of society, or a zombie apocalypse, but a solar flare or extreme weather that knocks out services for days or weeks is very possible. You should also realize that availability of firearms and ammunition at this time is very good, and prices have stabilized. Keep plenty of common ammunition on hand.
bearskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
CaveCreekRay

Journeyman

Equipment: L3800 HST, KingKutter rototiller, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake

My brother in SoCal liked the show "Rifleman" when he was a kid. He has a Smith & Wesson .357 and a Rossi stainless lever action chambered in .357. Two guns, same ammo. Just like the guys did in the west years ago.

You can shoot /38 spl in either so you don't have to break the bank -or make as much noise. At 50 yds, the rifle was blowing out the black with simple iron sights. That's a handy distance.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
Lil Foot

Master Tech

Equipment: 1979 B7100DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveCreekRay View Post
My brother in SoCal liked the show "Rifleman" when he was a kid. He has a Smith & Wesson .357 and a Rossi stainless lever action chambered in .357. Two guns, same ammo. Just like the guys did in the west years ago.
You can shoot /38 spl in either so you don't have to break the bank -or make as much noise. At 50 yds, the rifle was blowing out the black with simple iron sights. That's a handy distance.
I was kinda in the same frame of mind in my younger days, before all mine went to the bottom of the Ohio river.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	499054_01_amt_hardballer_45_auto_with_lo_640.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	35577   Click image for larger version

Name:	commando mark 3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	35578  
'79 B7100DT, B219FEL, B670 Backhoe with 10" & (2) 14" Buckets, 60" Curtis front blade, GC Forks, 42" Gannon box blade, 60" 920lb roller, 4'x4' rock skid, 272lbs wheel weights, Hodge Stabilizers, small dump trailer
Lil Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
North Idaho Wolfman

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Foot View Post
I was kinda in the same frame of mind in my younger days, before all mine went to the bottom of the Ohio river.
The guns or your mind ended up at the bottom of the Ohio river?
And I wanna hear that story!

I think along the same lines 38/357 pistol and 38/357 rifle, make for a nice pair
of course gotta back them up with a 12 Gauge, 450 marlin, 223, and plenty of 22's.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
sdk1968
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B2601HSD & Kioti CK4010 HST 4WD/FEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Foot View Post

yeah i wanna hear it too! cause i live on the Ohio river & might go look for your Tommy for you!