Buying a dump trailer- how to protect the bed from manure?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Nice looking trailer. I'm jealous.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
why not get a roll of heavy weight polyethylene and line it. It will get destroyed when you unload but the cost per use shouldnt be to bad for a trailer that size.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I was thinking of this the other day and I was curious if you could neutralize the manure with some lime?

That's a nice trailer hodge! I've been looking for a 14' regular without the goose neck. Is the rear gate only 2 way barn style with the spreader, or is it 3 way?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I was thinking of this the other day and I was curious if you could neutralize the manure with some lime?

That's a nice trailer hodge! I've been looking for a 14' regular without the goose neck. Is the rear gate only 2 way barn style with the spreader, or is it 3 way?
2 way. Barn style, or spreader.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am curious about another aspect, having tried for years to think of an "easier way" to the manure management issue, and that is how does your daughter get the wheelbarrow loads of manure into the truck or trailer? A platform or loading ramp?

I now dump my carts into my tractor bucket and carry to the mulch heap, but could in theory part of the year dump straight into the spreader to avoid handling twice.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
why not get a roll of heavy weight polyethylene and line it. It will get destroyed when you unload but the cost per use shouldnt be to bad for a trailer that size.
This might be the best solution as long as there is no issue with the polyethylene being dumped along with the manure.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This might be the best solution as long as there is no issue with the polyethylene being dumped along with the manure.
Hodge - along bandaidmd and Yooper's line of thinking, what about UHMWPE, or similar, sheets?

Would be inert, slippery for unloading and damage resistant for horse manure. Probably wouldn't need it very thick - just enough to be able to fasten well?

If memory serves, it might be kind of pricey for a trailer that big....

I've never worked with it - someone recommended it for some snow blower shoes I was tinkering with a while back. Couple guys here seemed to use it regularly.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge - along bandaidmd and Yooper's line of thinking, what about UHMWPE, or similar, sheets?

Would be inert, slippery for unloading and damage resistant for horse manure. Probably wouldn't need it very thick - just enough to be able to fasten well?

If memory serves, it might be kind of pricey for a trailer that big....

I've never worked with it - someone recommended it for some snow blower shoes I was tinkering with a while back. Couple guys here seemed to use it regularly.
I have looked in to it, and it is pricey. Anywhere from $15 to $40 a foot. Then, you have to drill a lot of holes in the floor and walls, to secure it. I think that a slick, spray in liner would be preferable. Dad doesn't want to spend that kind of money, though. At this point, I am thinking of an industrial paint that will be more resistant than the automotive enamel that is currently on it, and clean/repaint it as necessary.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There is an EPDM product for roofs. I have a left over piece in my barn. It's like a tractor inner tube in thickness, and tough. Don't know what size it actually comes in, but it would be tough enough for your job.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm thinking your rationale is sound. Makes sense to me!
Best of luck!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I appreciate every bit of input- thank you.
The research is mine, but the decision isn't- it's both my father's, and mine. Ideally, given all of the parameters, I would pursue a professionally-applied bed liner coating, without texture. But, throwing in the cost/budget, the direction we will go is to scuff the automotive enamel that is on the interior, and paint it with two coats of industrial paint. I will then observe how that holds up. Chances are, with some varied maintenance over the years, it will do fine. If not, and before heavy damage is done, I will pursue having it sprayed with bed liner.
Again, thanks!

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Or here is something off the wall.....move to a state with less regulations. We pile our horse s $>/ in a pile on the ground until spring once the snow is gone. Then load up and spread on field. :)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Could you line it with pond liner and attach the liner to something at the front of trailer to keep it in place during the dump operation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Or here is something off the wall.....move to a state with less regulations. We pile our horse s $>/ in a pile on the ground until spring once the snow is gone. Then load up and spread on field. :)

For obvious reasons that isn't going to happen.
To be clear- we didn't, and still don't, mind towing the line. If there are reasonable regulations, we'll abide by them. It was the not knowing, then getting blind sided, then the state not being able to give us an answer- "How far does the pile need to be away from the creek?" "Well, there really isn't a distance." "Huh?" "Yea. You need to control the run off. Build a containment shed, and you can store it wherever."
The resolutions are over with- we have a simple system in place to handle the manure, and the ditches are fenced.
Why would we move, over a lone question of how to protect our investment in a dump trailer?

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I wasn't trying to be serious. Anytime the government gets involved it is never a simple matter. It just makes things more complicated and expensive than it needs to be.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hodge, just be thankful you don't have any oil leases on your property. Then you get to deal with the State, Federal and then the operator who incidentally thinks they have power over everyone including the power company powering the pumps..and don't have to follow any rules !!

I have a good friend with leases and the wires came down and electrocuted one of his horses. That became the proverbial "dog and pony show".

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I wasn't trying to be serious. Anytime the government gets involved it is never a simple matter. It just makes things more complicated and expensive than it needs to be.

Agreed. I will give our state ag rep credit- he made the situation as simple, and painless, as possible. He, also, is a farmer, and understands that side of the fence. The situation could have been worse. We are grateful that it wasn't.

Homestead

Mar 6, 2013
Sundre, Alberta
Been hauling manure for years with a standard dump trailer. Cow, horse, goat, donkey, whatever. Still using the same trailer.

Manure is not the "corrosive" issue, it's urine that is the problem. By the the time you clean the pens and load it it on a trailer, it's not a big deal, it has already started its evaporation cycle.

When an animal urinates in the trailer itself and it is left, like under a rubber mat in a horse trailer, that is when it can become an issue but it takes years.

I completely understand your concern but it is not a concern. My trailer gets hosed out once and awhile and at the same time the manure "load" can and has sat it it for weeks sometimes. It's still the same shiny steel floor it came with when I bought the trailer in 2008.

Buy your trailer and enjoy using it. There are worse things to worry about.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It's going to get all of the joints sealed, then two coats of industrial paint. I'd rather err on the side of caution, than have to fix rust later. An ounce of prevention.
It will also get the entire underside coated with Fluidfilm.