These dang TALL rops!

jkz

Equipment
2010 L3700SU, mowing, landscaping, snow removal, general grounds use on 5 acres
Aug 7, 2016
Bayfield, CO
Yikes, not good. I have an 8' tall overhead door on my barn and the ROPS on my L3700SU clears it by 4-5". I always make sure that the door is up as far as it will go & that the bottom edge isn't hanging down below the level of the opening.

Attachments

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Can I see a show of hands on all who wish Kubota would have shortened the ROPS bar??? I know that right now I think I could choke an engineer!!
I cut 10" out of mine rather than always have it folded. After i bought a backhoe i realized why its so tall, not sure i saved those pieces.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I need mine about 3" shorter. Thinking of cutting it where the joint is. I will redrill and reweld the mounting pipe that the bolt goes thru. This will not affect the strength just the height. I am tired of the up and down to get into the shop. Time to get it right for me.:confused:
Thats exactly how I did mine.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I ended up taking 4" off. I can't even tell it's been cut now....looks factory. I can sail thru that door now with no problem...nice.:)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Do Gooders will warn about making any changes to the ROP. However, Until we hear of an accident and an injury that can be blamed on a shorter ROP, you guys with the shorter ones keep passing out the good news. Looking at those damaged roll up doors is reason enough to make the modification. I've made that change on a blue tractor and never have regretted it.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I'd be willing to bet more people have been injured by panels falling off garage doors when the ROPS hit's them vs. people with modified ROPS :)

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Here's a couple pics.....on the tool box you can see the 2 4" pieces I cut off. I sure like it a lot better now that I can enter my work place shed.
Good luck
Pete

problems..........the "insert an image" tool on here wants me to give it an address to find the pic.........the pic is on my computer..........what do I do ?
Howcum there ain't a "browse" option as is on most sites??? Then I could just browse to the location on my computer and point to the pic....?????

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Make sure you are in the "advanced" editor, not the one at the bottom of each page (on that one, click "go advanced"). At the bottom you will find controls that allow you to upload some number of "attachments", which are loaded directly into this site and will be added to your post. The one you saw is for adding external images that may be on some photo sharing site, or another web page. But those images cost the site nothing since they are stored and served from somewhere else.

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
Wow!......feel for ya and it's so danged easy to forget that split second mistake. Mine is just an inch or so over 7' and one day attempting to beat a rain storm I was headed in (fortunately very slow) when I felt the sudden stop. The trim on my garage header was an inch lower and it ripped it right off but it stopped before hitting the door. It actually squeezed to a stop and I had to let air out of the rear tires to lurch it back out. Yes, I totally agree there has to be a better solution. In all honesty I will admit sometimes I neglect locking my rops in the up position and compromise safety when getting it out just for a few small quick tasks just so I don't do this again.

lc12

Dec 23, 2017
US
Looks like the ROPS did it's job and kept the door from hitting you in the head!
Just kidding.
I had to fold my ROPS back so as to not hit the shipping container that I temporarily stored my tractor in.