L2000DT (L225) jumps out of Reverse.

Nova Man

Equipment
1988 L2000DT (820hrs), Home made snow blower, front end loader, snow blade, roto tiller.
Feb 22, 2009
Pictou County Nova Scotia
The problem with the trans has been getting worse lately. I pulled the shifter tower off and then the shift cluster cover. I found the Reverse idler gears rear3/8 in. of teeth ground off. Rather than splitting the engine and trans I removed the steering box. Reached indide the bell housing and removed the rev idler shaft retainer, slid the shaft rearwards and removed the gear. Tomorrow I will visit with some machine shops to get a price to repair it. The Shifter arms are worn where the shift lever shaft rides. So they will also need to be built up and then ground flat. Anybody know if Rev. idler gears are available?? Thanks.

lens

Equipment
Too many to list
Feb 25, 2009
DIXON,IL
I can supply a new reverse idler gear, I'm sure for a lot less than fixing the old one. Welding teeth back on & machining usually doesn't work real good. On parts that aren't available or expensive, we grind off the bad gear, press & weld on a sleeve, & use a gear cutting machine to make new teeth.

royboy42

Equipment
L something or nother
Sep 8, 2009
macon ga
Seeing how i finally destroyed that gear today. I believe i will try taking it out by the method described above. Might have to get one of the younger kids in there.