Should I go Grey?

Bjorn

Equipment
Kubota L2900
Feb 22, 2009
Knoxville, Iowa
I have an opportunity to purchase a used L1-20 grey market tractor and I was wondering if I should even consider this over a domestic model? I don't want anything to break and have trouble finding parts so I was a little concerned. Anybody here have a grey market tractor and have any advise for me? Thanks a lot.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hello Bjorn! Welcome to the fourms - all the way from Knoxville Iowa.

I understand your hesitation when it comes to knowingly becoming a new owner of what Kubota refers to as its gray market models. Kubota really instills the fear and wrath of God on those owners that are considering purchasing these models or already have them and are looking for parts and support. They list the gray market models on their website and generally make it sound like those tractors are:
1) from another planet
2) a result of poor workmanship and materials
3) likely to explode the moment you sit on and use the tractor
4) after said explosion - no parts will be available unless you fly to and pick them up from Japan directly at huge expense and hassle

Of course, none of these are true and as much as I am sure Kubota does not like to admit it - these tractors are still Kubota designed and Kubota made. They are Kubotas!

I get where Kubota is coming from - yes, technically roll bars might be missing and so on, but I suspect the reason they might be a little hostile toward gray market imports is because it cannibalizes the sales of new equipment. A new 18 horsepower Kubota costs at least double what you might be able to pick up a good used gray market model for. They do not want you going down the street and buy that used 20 year old Kubota, which is still running strong and on its 3rd owner already - they want to sell you new equipment (hopefully as often as possible). No surpises here! They are a business and out to make their shareholders see a positive return, not to run a charity.

Bottom line: owning a gray market Kubota is not problem. If you equip yourself with some knowledge ownership of these tractors is no more of hassle than any other. You will need a parts manual, either an original written in Japanese (don't worry), or an equivalent manual for the Kubota model closest to yours. You will also need to get in the habit of not telling your local dealer that you have gray model. I have a hunch that dealers do want to help you and sell you a new part, but if you directly tell them that you have a gray model, they are caught in a tough spot - their dealership and franchise license requires them to treat owners of gray market models like jerks, so they will have to refuse you service on their own equipment!

My personal opinion on the matter - I think in the long term, Kubota will regret their decision to treat owners of these models so poorly. I think it hurts their brand and the respect of the owners of these models when they are cast out. If you owned a gray market Kubota and received such horrible service from them when you needed support, would you ever buy a Kubota again, new or used? Not likely. That green tractor over there is looking pretty good and they help me!

Ok ok ok ok, rant over!

Anyway - back to the task at hand - how many hours and what kind of shape is that L1-20 you are looking at in? Does it come with a loader or any other goodies?

lens

Equipment
Too many to list
Feb 25, 2009
DIXON,IL
I have some of the L1 parts books, but not the L1-20. I can probably get you one from Japan, if you buy the tractor. Some parts will probably be available in the US, but some will probably have to come from Japan. Email if you are interested.

dax

Equipment
L1-R26, mower, tiller, plow, post hole digger, trailer, mechanical winch
Mar 14, 2009
ROMANIA, GORJ
I have an opportunity to purchase a used L1-20 grey market tractor and I was wondering if I should even consider this over a domestic model? I don't want anything to break and have trouble finding parts so I was a little concerned. Anybody here have a grey market tractor and have any advise for me? Thanks a lot.
Hello! As you can see even here in Romania we heard about KUBOTA! And you are scared... :eek:
Yes!!! You should go grey! I'm happy with my "gray" orange KUBOTA

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Here is my take on whether someone should gray. If you are on a limited budget and can do most of the work on a tractor a gray is a way to get more tractor then what you would with a comparable tractor.

The tractor will of course require the normal maintaining that all others do, If you decide that a gray is for you then the first thing after getting the tractor home is run to the part store and get new filters and oils will be required. I have found that NAPA had all the filters and the guys there will cross reference the numbers needed and if NAPA does not have the parts and the my local NAPA has not let me down very often,.

I changed every fluid on my Kubota gray when I got it home, I replaced the air filter, oil filter, and fuel filter. I drained and cleaned the transmission screen on my L1801.

After refilling all the fluids I then went and made a complete check of the rest of the tractor and replaced the battery, radiator cap, fan belt and properly adjusted the clutch, I got my welder out and made a couple small repairs to the foot rest (it had a small crack) I know that I got a great price for the tractor and it has been my faithful friend for the last 5 years. So because I was on a limited budget and needed a tractor to properly maintain my property I went gray.

Over the years I have had to replace the clutch, Something I did myself and I had to replace all of the tires, If the tractor has rice tires it can be expensive and it would be best to check if the tires are available locally and it not I would recommend that if you get the tractor to order the new tires and store them as if you are in a middle of a project and you need a new tire you do not have down time. I also replaced the alternator and found out the direct match for the alternator was from a late 1970's Datsun car.

Edit, One other trick that I use if and when I went to the local Kubota dealer was to take the old part that I required and needed and have them match it up and for the most part I did not have to tell them it was a gray and they sold me the part, some of the dealers just do not care that it was a gray, I have been able to get a new exhaust manifold (badly rusted out) and muffler for mine using this method, of course my tractor is closely related to the L185 and it was fairly easy to simply say that it was L185 and they got me my needed parts

Last edited:

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Excellent post Michael! I agree - one of the best things you can do as a new owner of a tractor, not just a gray market one, is to do the things Michael is describing - change the fluids, filters, fuel, check the tires, battery, adjust the clutch. The bottom line is that unless your tractor is brand new you do not know 100% how it was taken care of before you received it. It's best to get to a fresh "base" before committing to heavy use of your new equipment.

Plus, it's a great way to get to know your equipment and start down the path of knowing how to perform regular maintenance and repairs.